New to shooting sports

saxtonram

Hello

I just ordered a used Sport II and am looking for recommendations on a good ammo for skeet, trap and sporting clays. I am new to these sports and have no idea what ammo to start with. I understand the inertia system of the Sport II needs a minimum FPS to cycle reliably.

Thanks

12 gauge or 20 gauge?

In either case, are you looking for cheap, or best?

Best is Remington STS or Nitro, Federal Gold Medal, Winchester AA, and there are a few others.

Less costly, and good enough for most games (until you get to be shooting 60 yard crossers on the sport field, or 27 yard handicap on the trap field) are Remington Gun Club, Winchester Super Target, and Federal Top Gun, among others.

I reload my own, but if you look, you can find similar loads. Generally speaking (for 12 gauge):

For skeet I use 1 ounce of 9 shot at 1150 fps.

For trap singles and doubles, I use 1 ounce of 8-1/2 or 8 shot at 1150 fps.

For trap handicap and for sporting clays, I use 1-1/8 ounces of 7-1/2 shot at 1200 fps.

Edited by timb99

• 2 weeks later...