slug barrel what ammo ??

superluckyguy

• 2 weeks later...

I have used several brands of rifle slugs over the years, this is something a hunter just must find out for yourself at the shooting range. Now what works great in one shotgun will shoot wide groups in another. It is simply trial and error when finding the "sweet slug" for your gun. I have had good success with both Winchester and Remington shotgun slugs.:)

I have two M2s one in 12 & one in 20 and assume they have the same rate of twist. I tried every slug available (an expensive proposition) and Lightfields were the most accurate, three shots, less than 1 inch at 100 yds. You can sight in with the cheapest 2 3/4 and use the heavier 3 inch for hunting & have the same trajectory. Good Luck!

You need to buy some slugs and give it a try. There is no best slug as the person behind the gun is the most important item when it comes to shooting. I would shoot field postitions after sighting in the gun as that is what you will do and if you can hit a pie plate using field postitions at 100 yards then you can get into the vitals of a deer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the SBE II deer barrel and a few years ago i bought two boxes of every slug out there.

I ended up using the Hornady 300 Gr SST's. These shoot dead nuts on in my gun atleast. Everything else was all over the place. Sometimes the sst's dont leave a big hole as i would like.

So this year I sighted the gun in using the Federal Premium Barnes Tipped Expanders - these seem to shoot well out to around 50-60 yards in my gun and then at 100 yards they are all over the place and i was shooting from a bench rest. With the sst's i was using the burris speed dot that matches the camo on my sbe ii, but when i switches to the barnes i was trying out the trijicon rmr - its paralax free to 50 yards, so that might be part of the issue. But i plan to test out another burris speed dot with these slugs.

I do want to know if you anyone feels there is a difference in shooting a slug at 50 degree weather vs 29 degrees outside and or the temp of the barrel?

• 2 weeks later...