Skeet with a Nova

Novaking

Went out to the Skeet range last night with a buddy. Cold night but fun. Haven't been in about a year and did very well with my Nova. Shot 4 rounds and shot a 24,22,23,19.

My buddy that came out with me was his first time on the field. He was shooting a older Beretta auto and was instantly hooked. He shot 4 rounds as well putting up 12,14,13,16. Not bad for a first timer.

• 2 weeks later...

Skeet is fun. Harder to learn than trap, but in my mind, easier to "master."

That's a pretty good round with a pump gun. "Back in the day" a Winchester Model 12 was the gun of choice.

But try Olympic skeet. Its like skeet on crack.

Same field, but with the following modification:

Targets are faster.

You must use 24 gram loads (a little less than 7/8 ounces, but no limit on muzzle velocity, usually 1350-ish.)

You must start with low (unmounted) gun. Toe of your stock at your hip.

When you call for the target, there is a random, 0 to 3 second delay before the target comes out.

You CAN'T move or mount the gun until the target comes out.

You shoot a high house single and a double shooting the high house target first at stations 1, 2, and 3.

At middle station 4, you shoot 6 targets. A high house single, a low house single, a double shooting the high house target first, and a double shooting the low house target first.

You shoot a low house single and a double shooting the low house target first at stations 5 and 6.

You shoot only a double shooting the low house target first at station 7.

You still have to shoot station 8, low gun, random delay. Its tough.

Edited by timb99

Skeet is fun. Harder to learn than trap, but in my mind, easier to "master."

That's a pretty good round with a pump gun. "Back in the day" a Winchester Model 12 was the gun of choice.

But try Olympic skeet. Its like skeet on crack.

Same field, but with the following modification:

Targets are faster.

You must use 24 gram loads (a little less than 7/8 ounces, but no limit on muzzle velocity, usually 1350-ish.)

You must start with low (unmounted) gun. Toe of your stock at your hip.

When you call for the target, there is a random, 0 to 3 second delay before the target comes out.

You CAN'T move or mount the gun until the target comes out.

You shoot a high house single and a double shooting the high house target first at stations 1, 2, and 3.

At middle station 4, you shoot 6 targets. A high house single, a low house single, a double shooting the high house target first, and a double shooting the low house target first.

You shoot a low house single and a double shooting the low house target first at stations 5 and 6.

You shoot only a double shooting the low house target first at station 7.

You still have to shoot station 8, low gun, random delay. Its tough.

Haven't done it but watched before. Crazy! But looks fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jhonathonaston45

If it is the older Vari model, you need do nothing when switching from light to heavy loads. If it is the newer Reverse model, you should flip the piston over when shooting loads heavier than 1 1/8 oz.

banner stands

Edited by jhonathonaston45