Definitive Thread on the M4 922r Compliant Setup

Momentum

This is my first post - I've been lurking for a long time and an avid fan of the Benelli M4. I've seen allot of threads on parts to make the Benelli M4 922r compliant, but it's a little confusing. I was hoping folks could answer three questions:

1.) How many parts have to be replaced on Benelli M4 in order to install the OEM collapsible stock and a 7 round tube (I presume a single piece is best)?

2.) What parts are available to complete the conversion?

3.) What is considered the ideal setup, manufacturer and part?

I realize there will be a little debate about question number 3, but that's to be expected. I don't want to start a fight over the best manufacturer, just would like to hear what everyone considers is their best option.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

With the introduction of the Made in USA hammer from Carriercomp, there are just enough Made in USA parts to comply when installing the collapsible buttstock. I'm thinking it's four Made in USA parts to get you there: FL mag tube, mag follower, hammer, and handguards. Carriercomp has the first three covered.

Sukhoi_fan is correct.

You must replace the magazine tube with a full length US made tube to have it count towards your US compliance goals.

If you plan on using the pistol grip stock, you must only replace three components because the collapsible stock counts as two foreign made parts.

carriercomp mades top of the line products. If building a new M4 from the ground up, I'd go to carriercomp and order the following;

1. Full length Titanium Magazine Tube, this comes with a US made follower and a Wolff Spring.

2. Replacement top rail

3. Titanium Bolt Handle

4. US Made Hammer

Then, decide if you want a railed forend, or a standard handguard. For railed forends, the Surefire M80 is the best option. If you have no use for rails, go to Freedom Fighter Tactical and buy their stock reproduction set.

With these items in place, you will then be in parts compliance and can legally install a full length magazine tube and collapsible stock.

Welcome to the forum. Both Su..and SD are correct, might I suggest you RESEARCH some of the other 10+ threads that discuss 922r to answer other questions you might have. Search option really works...

I did the research as referenced in the original post (see above). Thank you for the first two responses that really nailed the answer for me. Being new to the M4, these first two responses clarified it. Thanks!

It's a gun. It's evil. Stay tuned for more legislature once they know we have outsmarted/out-engineered the previous.

I'm losely following the discussion...pretty closed door, from what I can tell. I doubt we'll see much in the way of gun control get passed, but who knows for sure. If we do see it, I suspect they may target high-capacity pistols and especially the rifle caliber (.223/7.62) high capacity "pistols". Hopefully shotguns are safe.

Hello there:) I`m not a US citizen..I live in a country where gunowners can buy a original 100% imported Benelli M4 with a full length magazine tube and a telescoping stock directly from Italy.

It must be devastating for all of you to go around with american made aftermarked swap parts on this gun, just to make it like the real M4...

It does not make sense at all to ban a M4 just for being fully Italian, when the same weapon feature legally can be owned, but just if some american aftermarket parts are attached on it. I cannot see the logic of this law.

Is this gun evil and dangerous for civilian persons just for having "Italy" only stamped on the receiver? What must other laws be like?

• Like 1

It does not make sense at all to ban a M4 just for being fully Italian, when the same weapon feature legally can be owned, but just if some american aftermarket parts are attached on it. I cannot see the logic of this law.

Logic and politics rarely meet. I think this was more of an economic decision that was billed by some as gun control. It may have been more about making US-manufactured firearms more attractive in the US than import firearms (which are often cheaper). The really sad thing ist that Benelli could set up a machine to produce 1 part (the receiver) in the US, and the whole thing would be a US firearm and not subject to any 922® compliance issues. They could assemble the thing in the US, and it woudln't cost them much (relatively speaking) in finances or Italian labor to set this up. For some reason, they just don't want to do it. They make good money already I guess, and they seem to have little desire to make more off of the US "tactical" market. Not suprising really ... We don't seem to get much support from European companies in that area. Europeans make "tactical" firearms for Law Enforcement and military, and generally don't believe that private citizens should be as well equipped.

Sometimes our (US) laws can be a bit illogical. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the particular nuance of "U.S. Made" guns versus "foreign" guns was driven by heavy lobbying from our American gun manufacturers and supported by some "more aggressive" foreign guns coming from overseas, at the time the law was pushed through. I'm thinking of guns like the UZI and AKs. At the time, the U.S. manufacturers were not producing such "nice" weapons.

The results of these laws has resulted in what you see today. It's more of a hinderance than anything. I don't mind dropping some American parts on the gun to comply with our laws. And specifically in this case, I think most of these parts are superior to the original production anyway. The one I'd agree is not necessarily better is the forward cover/grip (what ever you call it on a automatic shotgun.)

At least we live in a country that supports guns in the hands of it's citizens. There are plenty of european countries, as well as asian countries where this is not the case.

On a personal level, I support gun ownership, but I would like to see required training classes to be permitted to obtain a gun owners permit. I know that is onerous, but there are allot of people out there that do not know how to handle a gun, but often have them lying around their home or carrying them with them. At the moment, I'm thinking of the Arizona senator who, in play, pointed her concealed carry gun at a reporter and "lit up" the laser sight on the reported. She later said, that while the gun had no safety, it was perfectly safe to point a loaded gun at another person, because she didn't have her finger on the trigger. That's not how I was ever taught to handle a gun and I suspect most of us know you don't point a weapon at a person unless you intend to shoot it. I recall a recent vide president that accidentally shot someone. It's a real simple rule. First and foremost, don't allow the gun to be pointed where you don't want to shoot, regardless if your finger is on the trigger, the safety is on or you don't think the gun is loaded. I could go on and on, but if our representatives don't have that basic common sense, I think it's reasonable that we require a little training for the safety of all. And with less accidental shootings, then perhaps we can loosen up on our concealed carry concerns and other gun controls.

• 7 years later...
2 hours ago, Flash_120 said:

I was watching a 922R YouTube video and the guy mentioned muzzle device as one component that might count. So can someone clarify if I’m using a extended choke tube made in the USA does that count?

I would say no, the choke is not listed as one of the parts eligible for 922R compliance. Here is a comprehensive list of the parts that can be replaced for compliance.

https://freedomfightertactical.com/pages/922r-faq