Sighting in a Red Dot on my Supernova

RickP

I recently mounted a Bushnell Red Dot, sighted it in and proceeded to shot a couple dozen slugs. It is mounted with a B Square saddle.

After removing the barrel to clean the gawd awful mess left by the slugs, I put things back together.

Yesterday I went back to the range to shoot more slugs. I was about 10" off the paper.

Did I loose zero by removing the barrel? I'm pretty careful handling the shotgun - there were no bumps or bangs or drops. Everything is tight - nothing in the mounting arrangement was loose. The barrel seems to fit the receiver well - there does not seem to be any movement between the barrel and receiver.

So, what happened to lose zero?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and insight.

I recently mounted a Bushnell Red Dot, sighted it in and proceeded to shot a couple dozen slugs. It is mounted with a B Square saddle.

After removing the barrel to clean the gawd awful mess left by the slugs, I put things back together.

Yesterday I went back to the range to shoot more slugs. I was about 10" off the paper.

Did I loose zero by removing the barrel? I'm pretty careful handling the shotgun - there were no bumps or bangs or drops. Everything is tight - nothing in the mounting arrangement was loose. The barrel seems to fit the receiver well - there does not seem to be any movement between the barrel and receiver.

So, what happened to lose zero?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and insight.

This is odd. I do not have a NOVA, but I have taken my M4S90 apart after zeroing it and it held zero, even when I intentionally varied the tightness of the cap holding the barrel in place a bit.

how do you actually zero the red dot? to the front sight? or target at certain yardage id like to pick up a red dot myself

I do it on a target. It would be difficult (though not impossible) to get a decent zero if you're just working with the irons, especially with Benelli shotguns that have sights very low and close to the barrel. If the red-dot has some sort of BDC reticle, the user manual will specify zero range. If not, I just zero it at a distance that will give you the least vertical deviation for the ranges that you intend to shoot at.