crow hunting?

Feather Buster

Crows’ flight speed is around 30 mph making them slower than most game birds near their size. And, their acceleration is very slow. There is less challenge shooting a crow.

It does appear that in some areas the crow population is too high making hunting a good method to control their numbers. --Spike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Crows have good eye sight and are quick to spook. When hunting them its like hunting a combination of doves and ducks. They fly in and move somewhat like doves only in a larger bird. They come in to your decoys like ducks or geese . Our a blast to hunt and sharpen your shooting skills.

What kind of calls do you use and what about decoys?

Nothing brings a crow out of the cracks like a squawking winged crow. It also serves as a great decoy.:D We hunt them with mid-caliber pellet rifles, .20 and .25's mostly, although a well placed .177 performs equally well, and won't attract the base MP's.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been crow hunting for many years. I used to set up in a large Wildlife Management Area using a hand call and fake Great Horned Owl on a pole. After a few shots, the local game officer would show up and tell me to leave. Later I'd complain to the state Environmental Police. But next time the local wannabe's would be back telling me to leave. I hate Taxachusetts and local police that don't have a clue.

Sgt Cathy,

The Wildlife Management Area wasn't Myles Standish by any chance? I went hunting there ONCE with a friend wayyy back and that was enough for me. The moron Enviormental Cop kept demanding my "FID Card" I'm a NON RESIDENT and don't need one for hunting. He didn't care I was a cop from Maine. Never again will I hunt in the "People's Republic of the Commonwealth"

i hunt WMA all the time,for many different species and have never been run off or told to leave when hunting with proper permits within proper season.i have hunted crow during deer season.sometimes get some crazy looks,but i have as much right to be there as they do.but i do not impede their hunt either.

I hunt crows to keep them out of my almond orchards and in my opinion they are way to damn easy to shoot.. I'll go in full leaf camo and play my distressed rabbit call that I use for hunting Coyotes, then its just a matter of how close to I want them to be before I open up. My dad told me a while back that he would pay me a dollar a crow and that deal lasted only one day.

To stay on my game after duck season I shoot pigeons from the neighboring dairy from February through September. I mostly do that to better train my dog though..

• 2 weeks later...

easy to shoot,but not easy to keep calling,get the same birds in close.they quickly figure out what is going on,and seem to know your range.shooting a tom at 15 yards or a duck hovering at 25 is easy,calling them that close consistently is the hard and fun part.i enjoy hunting crow and it never seems easy.they have an intelect that other species do not possess.i find myself constanly changing my tactics to keep them off guard.but i dont have any orchards to hunt which would provide alot of food,i.e. greater population.i also got that same deal from our neighbors when i was a kid,it also did not last very long.

Haven't been crow hunting for many years. I used to set up in a large Wildlife Management Area using a hand call and fake Great Horned Owl on a pole. After a few shots, the local game officer would show up and tell me to leave. Later I'd complain to the state Environmental Police. But next time the local wannabe's would be back telling me to leave. I hate Taxachusetts and local police that don't have a clue.

Come to Texas. When on leave (about twice a year), a Trooper and I corner crows for the hogg's supper.

• 1 year later...

Crows are great to hunt. We don't really follow the season though. There are so many no one cares. Plus crows and blue jays are the only birds that carry West Nile virus. That is why I shoot every one I can. I carry a mouth call when squirrel hunting and can usually get a few to come in.

• 2 months later...

Next to turkey they are my favorite thing to hunt. I usually try to wound the first one and wait on his buddies to show. I live and hunt in MA and always have my license, my firearms permit, and a copy of the game laws with me. It does seem like every agency in the state dreams up their own interpretation of the rules.

Wolf