Sport II compared to Montro and M1

BigRJ

I am an avid shotgun shooter and strive for the best performance out my guns. I am considering buying a Sport II. I have owned all of Benelli's guns acept for the Sport. I would like for a knowlegeable person that has shot the New sport II to coment on its performance and fit. I shoot the Montro guns the best out of Benelli's line up and the M1 the worst. It does not fit me well. I think it is the large rib that throws me off and causes me to shoot under the targets. Do you think the Sport II will shoot more like the M1 or the Montro? And do you think the new barrel treatment and chokes system on the Sport is worth the price difference between the Montro?

I have Sport II & really like it . I have or have had just about every Benelli auto made. I really like the 30 in barrel on the gun. I wish Benelli would offer it on the SBE. I use the gun for SC & some hunting. I really don't know how to answer your question on the how you would shoot it against the M-1. The Sport II is really a Legacy with a rounded off receiver & crio barrel. If you have a Legacy it is that gun with a raised rib barrel.The Sport II does have the raised rib, but doesn't bother me. The gun does handle like the Monte , thin forearm & fairly light. I have around 2000 rds thru the gun from 7/8 int'l loads to 3" steel duck loads & no problems at all. On the crio barrel,I think it is a gimmick ,but I have no way to really say. I have patterned the gun & like all my guns some shells pattern great & some don't pattern good at all. If I can help you out any more feel free to contact me.

Originally posted by DUKFVR:

I have Sport II & really like it . I have or have had just about every Benelli auto made. I really like the 30 in barrel on the gun. I wish Benelli would offer it on the SBE. I use the gun for SC & some hunting. I really don't know how to answer your question on the how you would shoot it against the M-1. The Sport II is really a Legacy with a rounded off receiver & crio barrel. If you have a Legacy it is that gun with a raised rib barrel.The Sport II does have the raised rib, but doesn't bother me. The gun does handle like the Monte , thin forearm & fairly light. I have around 2000 rds thru the gun from 7/8 int'l loads to 3" steel duck loads & no problems at all. On the crio barrel,I think it is a gimmick ,but I have no way to really say. I have patterned the gun & like all my guns some shells pattern great & some don't pattern good at all. If I can help you out any more feel free to contact me.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I was considering the Sport was because of the treated barrel. Benelli says it reduces shot stream. I am real reluctant to purchase a gun that have not shot before, When I bought the M1 and could not shoot it well it was very bad. I spent a lot of time trying to shoot that gun well. And it never happened. I have a Legacy 20 and have only shot abot 100 rounds and only droped about 5 targets on the skeet range. The reason I am interested in the sport is I am try to maximize my killing ability on ducks at long rangs. Right now I am working on loads of heavy shot. Do you have any prefrances on duck loads. Last weekend I shot a 31/2 gold and my 3 inch Beneli Montro. I shot Bismith, Heavy Shot, and Winchester. The Heavy worked very well. I wonder now if I should go with less shot and go for some more speed. If you have any comments I am all ears. Thanks

I started shooting HS exclusively this season. The stuff flat out kills . If you shoot 40 yrds or less fast steel will work. I can count on 1 hand how many cripples I have had this season ,this with over 100 birds so far. HS really shines on geese. I have been shooting Remington factory steel. 2 3/4 in 6's & 4's on ducks & 3" 2's on geese. Over decoys I use a LM & on geese I use IM. Have had great results with a Wad Wizard for long range shooting. I am going to try some of the Hi Velocity HS next ,I think though we are better off with pattern density over hi speed with HS. Just want to try some though.