Cleaning New M1 Field 12 AWG

bphilip

You shouldn't need to leave much oil on anything in the receiver, if you use an oil or a lubricant make sure its a light oil or spray, not anything like grease. If hunting in wet conditions dissassemble bolt and clean/wipe dry occasionally. Their is a tube with a spring going from the back of the receiver into the buttstock that you should keep an eye on and spray wd-40 or some Rem Oil into occassionally or dissassemble that as well and clean and keep from rust forming.

• 1 month later...

What lube should you use on the SBE. I had one that was stolen and it recomended a dry graphite. The new one I purchased didn't come with the lube. I have tried a light gun oil but it doesn't work very well as the powder residue and the oil just gum things up. Any recomendations would be appreciated.

hey man,its touch and go on oil.trial and error,type of ammo has its effect on viscosity as does amount of use ,storage,etc.Dont forget a variety of gun oils and there prices.Type gun oil on the web and wow,decisions decisions :confused: :rolleyes: smile.gif

[ 11-02-2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: M1014 ]

Try Pro-Tec. I use it and like it. The gun oil is light and good quality and comes in a greater syringe applicator that allows you to put a DROP where you want it. They also have a good grease if you ever need that - same syringe applicator. I have heard good things bout FP-10 and Militec. Breakfree gets so-so reviews because the teflon needs to be shaken well and it tends to dry out. Some people combine a grease with oil for longer-lasting lubrication and adhesion (grease) and lubricity of the oil. I use this combo on the rails of my .45, for instance. Works great...

Experiment a bit, avoid the WD40 and you will find what you like and what works well. Stay safe,

Tacman