Best choke for Duck/Goose Hunting

Canadian Hunter

I like the MOD choke, i shoot alot and i'm a fairly good shot. I shoot all my sporting clay leagues with IC. average score with IC is 41 out of 50 with MOD its 32 out of 50. When i bring friends out duck or pheasant hunting i have them shot IC a little bigger pattern and i find they hit more birds. The MOD is a fairly tight pattern but its nice when that pheasants out there at 50 yards on your third shot. If you cant hit the birds with the MOD try the IC for a box or two. I know alot of people who will never shoot the MOD after shooting birds with the IC. I don't know much about the Winchester shells. I hear alot of good things about them but have never shot them. If they work for you and you like them then thats the shell for you. Federal or Kent are the two i shoot. good luck

RG

I used a full with a 3"bb for geese then bought a petternmaster choke for my M2. As for ducks I use an imp cyl and some times even a cyl choke. I use FEDERAL ULTRA-SHOCK HIGH VELOCITY STEEL for ducks and FEDERAL ULTRA-SHOCK HEAVY HIGH VELOCITY STEEL for geese.

CANADIANHUNTER,

BY THE WAY THINKING OF BUY LAND SOUTHWEST OF THUNDERBAY OR NORTHWEST OF HEARST WANTING TO KNOW HOW THE HUNTING IS OVER THER. ONLY HUNTED IN ALBERTA.

THANKS

[ 10-20-2004, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: geeseM2 ]

Thanks for the replies... geeseM2, how are you using a FULL choke with steel? I thought using a full choke with steel was not recommended? If you are using lead i can see that but here in Canada we are not allowed to use lead. As for land, i am about 16 hrs (by car) from Thunderbay but i know the hunting is excellent just about anywhere in Ont and the further north you go the better it gets. So i would hazard a guess that it is GREAT!!!!!!

I didnt edit my reply right I meant to say mod choke for goose not full It would not be a good idea to use full sorry for the miss info. I am waiting for DU CA. to get back with me ther is 246 acres sw of THUNDER BAY that has a 55 acre pond lots of grouse and waterfowl , with some moose and deer so it would be good for all hunting and fishing in my eyes and DU is looking to see if it is a good piece of property to recondition to waterfowl habitat. thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i shoot improved modified, or modified, at everything, except trap then i shoot wide open, im a pretty good shot i shoot trap usually get like 45/50 or so, and i get alot of geese, but i dont think that the choke has much to do with it, when goose hunting, unless your pass shooting. if yu can get then within 25 yards shoot IC or C any further shoot M or IM but not F unless your shooting heavy shot or tungeston. just aim and hit, that overrides any choke

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought an M2. For goose, can I safely use the Mod Criochoke that came with the gun to shoot Hevi-shot ? The manual doesn't say if these chokes are for lead, steel, Hevi-shot, or whatever! Can you shoot anything using these chokes? Thanks!

Originally posted by Ace:

Just bought an M2. For goose, can I safely use the Mod Criochoke that came with the gun to shoot Hevi-shot ? The manual doesn't say if these chokes are for lead, steel, Hevi-shot, or whatever! Can you shoot anything using these chokes? Thanks!

I have also just acquired an M2, about 3 months ago. Look at th echokes themselves. They will say whether steel shot is ok to use with them. It is engraved on each choke tube.

Mike :D

I would not recomend Win Experts. Tear one open and look at the shot and it will give you nightmares for a week! In the five shells I tested there was not a single even remotely round pellet and the ones were closest to being round were all hollow. They looked a lot like welding slag. Plus there is no water resistance what so ever and the pellets have that real dark grey color steel gets and it wipes off on every thing. They also have that bad metal smell like metal factory has. I have examined many steel shot loads and these are by far they worst. Their only advantage is the price.

My advice, DONT SKIMP ON THE SHELLS!

We spend so much money (M2=$1300) on every thing else yet we skimp on the most important. Use only premium steel (Fed. Ultra Shock or Win Supream) or a good non-tox load.

The guys layed some good advice for choke tubes.

Patternmasterns hold great long range patterns for geese but are a little tight for ducks of decoys and the Terror really seems to be getting popular.

I tried a Rhino/Haydel DPX tube and was not impressed and I have had the best patterns with Brileys extended modles.

For Ducks and with steel use IC, LM, and M depeding on what range they want to work.

Geese and steel Ill use a M or IM depending on range.

Geese and Hevi-shot I use LM.

[ 12-02-2004, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: tj ]

Originally posted by tj:

I would not recomend Win Experts. Tear one open and look at the shot and it will give you nightmares for a week! In the five shells I tested there was not a single even remotely round pellet and the ones were closest to being round were all hollow. They looked a lot like welding slag. Plus there is no water resistance what so ever and the pellets have that real dark grey color steel gets and it wipes off on every thing. They also have that bad metal smell like metal factory has. I have examined many steel shot loads and these are by far they worst. Their only advantage is the price.

My advice, DONT SKIMP ON THE SHELLS!

We spend so much money (M2=$1300) on every thing else yet we skimp on the most important. Use only premium steel (Fed. Ultra Shock or Win Supream) or a good non-tox load.

The guys layed some good advice for choke tubes.

Patternmasterns hold great long range patterns for geese but are a little tight for ducks of decoys and the Terror really seems to be getting popular.

I tried a Rhino/Haydel DPX tube and was not impressed and I have had the best patterns with Brileys extended modles.

For Ducks and with steel use IC, LM, and M depeding on what range they want to work.

Geese and steel Ill use a M or IM depending on range.

Geese and Hevi-shot I use LM.

• 13 years later...

Has anyone used the carlson choke tubes for their M2? I know a lot of guys use patternmasters for waterfowl, but was wondering if the Carlsons are good as well. I found one solid review on them, https://thewaterfowlhunter.com/carlson-choke-tubes-review/ and the Carlson chokes are a little cheaper than the patternmaster which makes me lean towards them. However, just wondering if others have used them and had success.

• 1 year later...