922R or stamp tax or....

slider76

I've done a lot of reading on this forum, and there seem to be two schools of thought: those who modify without concern for 922r, and those who worry about it.

Let's begin by assuming that I want to keep my gun as legal as possible (taking into consideration the somewhat murky legalese that the ATF has afflicted us with).

Being a resident of CA, i have two questions:

1: are there enough American made parts on the market to add a mag tube extension or full mag tube + everything else to get my magic number of imported parts to 10?

2: can I even register my M4 as a SBS and add a mag tube as a citizen of CA?

Cost effectiveness: which way's cheaper? Less money spent on gun equals more time on the range.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You need to move :D http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/26thedition/california.pdf

your state laws never did away with the Brady Bunch Laws! Would take a Lawyer to understand legality of yalls gun laws! Any new gun Law is one too many and Cali has them waiting for the year to arrive so new Laws can take affect! Since all transactions have to go thru a FFL i would ask those questions to a California FFL to be safe!

• 1 month later...
Guest cleefurd

Let's begin by assuming that I want to keep my gun as legal as possible (taking into consideration the somewhat murky legalese that the ATF has afflicted us with).

Being a resident of CA, i have two questions:

1: are there enough American made parts on the market to add a mag tube extension or full mag tube + everything else to get my magic number of imported parts to 10?

2: can I even register my M4 as a SBS and add a mag tube as a citizen of CA?

Cost effectiveness: which way's cheaper? Less money spent on gun equals more time on the range.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The only grievance I have with ATF is their inability to have a psychic connection to the intent of the legislators who wrote the laws that they (ATF) are expected to decipher and enforce, plus the occasional bias on such matters, where interpretation may empower a rogue agent to "play God".

A1. Yes sometimes, depending on which route you prefer.

A2. Just stuffed a "Twix" in my mouth... NO

Cost effectiveness... SBS (form 1). Ask a Brit or Aussie that, and you'll here something like "Why the **** would you want to pay them to know your address?"

If you're worried about it, leave it stock. It's pretty simple.

Anything you do, even if technically legal under some law, is very possibly a gray area under another ... and even if it's not, LEOs often have no idea what they are talking about and may very well give you a hard time anyways.

The laws do not make sense, they are not clear, they are not logical, and for 99.9% of the time they're not enforced.

Do as you will, it's a use at your own risk scenario. If you want to have zero liability, leave it in stock configuration ... it's still a great gun even then.