M1 S90 help

keep0njeepin0n

Ok, so I switched out my 24" factory barrel for an 18" factory benelli barrel. Ever since, it will not "auto" feed the next round. I have tried everything and it does this when shooting, or cycling by hand, which it used to feed with the old barrel by hand and with shooting. Is this barrel maybe causing my problem? Did I do something wrong when re-assembling? It seems to shoot fine, but just won't auto feed.

If I press the silver/red button, it will feed the next, but then not the one after, unless I press the button again. I don't think I should be having to press that button every time. Please Help!! I am a NEWB to Benelli's.

If all you did was take the old barrel off and put a new barrel on, that shouldn't have had any effect on feeding shells out of the magazine. Have you put the old barrel back on to see if it still has the problem?

Sounds like a problem in the fire control mechanism. Has it been removed or taken apart since it last worked properly?

If all you did was take the old barrel off and put a new barrel on, that shouldn't have had any effect on feeding shells out of the magazine. Have you put the old barrel back on to see if it still has the problem?

Sounds like a problem in the fire control mechanism. Has it been removed or taken apart since it last worked properly?

I have not put the old barrel back on because I no longer have it. I traded a guy with another M1 S90 for his barrel.

Nothing has been taken apart other than the barrel itself since it last worked properly. I also should mention that this problem occurs with snap caps, 2.5" and 3" shells.

I'm assuming you do not have a side saddle shell carrier mounted to the receiver. Sometimes, if that is installed too tightly, it can bind the mechanism, causing various failures.

Since you say you are new to Benelli, first of all understand that just operating the bolt does not release a shell from the magazine as some other shotguns function. The carrier latch must be released either manually, by pushing up on the drop lever, or pulling the trigger, which performs the same function on a properly functioning gun.

If you press the drop lever manually and a shell feeds out of the magazine onto the carrier, but it doesn't do that when you press the trigger, then something is wrong with the fire control mechanism. There's a tab on the drop lever that rides on top of the hammer spring cap. When the trigger is pulled and the hammer is released, the hammer spring cap pushes up on the tab of the drop lever which then releases the carrier latch, dropping a shell out of the magazine, just like it does when you push the drop lever manually. I suppose it's possible that the tab on the drop lever may have broken off. That would allow the mechanism to operate manually but not when you press the trigger.

With dummy rounds loaded in the magazine (I always use dummies for function checks, never a live round), press the trigger. A shell should be released from the magazine onto the carrier. If not, I would remove the trigger group from the receiver and inspect to see whether there is a tab on the drop lever that points to the left and rides on top of the hammer spring cap.

That would be my first stop. If all is well there, then something else is going on.

Edited by truckcop