New Ethos FTF/FTE

Capt_C

A friend is having FTF/FTE problems with his new Ethos...

Day-1 the gun ran 1-1/8 oz Fed target loads w/zero failures.

Day-2 and Day-3: 20% of the same loads failed to feed reliably.

Tried Win target (not AA) and had same result.

Gun returned for repair, but was curious if this is rare, or typical?

Thanks,

Capt_C

• 1 month later...

I am having the exact same problem! I have a brand new Ethos, 1 month old. The first time I went to the range for some skeet and trap shooting I put 5 boxes (125 rounds) through it, and I had one Failure to Feed (FTF) problem. The second time I shot another 5 boxes (125 rounds) and I had 3 FTF issues. The fourth and fifth times I again shout 4~5 boxes (100~125 rounds) each time and now I am experiencing about a 20% failure rate to feed. The first shell ejects fine, but when feeding the second shell it will get stuck before being pushed in by the bolt action.

I have used all kinds of ammo:

Remington Premier STS Target Loads, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 shot oz, # 8 shot size

Remington Premier STS Target Loads, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 shot oz, # 9 shot size

Remington Gun Club Target Loads, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 shot oz, # 8 shot size

Winchester Target Load, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 shot oz, # 8 shot size

Federal Premium Top Gun Target, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 shot oz, # 8 shot size

The shotshell loadings varied between 2 3/4 ~ 3 dram equivalent shot.

I will also say that I am an engineer and I am anal about cleaning my gun, lubricating and servicing it. I cleaned the gun before the first time I used it, and every time after I have returned from the gun range.

Needless to say, I am EXTREMELY disappointed and frustrated by this issue!!! I would not have expected this from a brand new mid~top of the line "Benelli" (Ethos). I thought Benelli's were supposed to be reliable and superior to most other manufacturers.

Any help or information would be appreciated, please!

Thanks -- Cameron

Edited by cninham
added more information and pictures

more pics... From the previous post you can see the red shotshell stuck in the receiver.

In the pictures here below you can see the barrel removed and where the shotshell (pink) gets stuck and fails to feed (FTF). The last picture shows the inside side of the receiver where the shotshell rubs against.

It would almost appear to me as if the SPRING and CARRIER LATCH (that keeps the second shotshell in the magazine tube is to stiff and pinches the second shotshell against the inside wall of the receiver as it is trying to feed it into the chamber of the barrel...

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, please.

Cameron

Edited by cninham
(more information)

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the same FTF with my Ethos. The gun was returned to Benelli for repair in September. They modified the drop lever and replaced the shell latch. I believe the shell latch was redesigned and it took them almost 2 months to get the new style shell latch ready from Italy. Unfortunately the gun still has the same FTF problem after all that work :(....it was sent back to Benelli today.

Update: My FTF issue was getting progressively worse. Around the beginning of December 2014 I sent the Benelli Ethos in for service. Benelli serviced the shotgun, replacing some parts, turned it around and shipped it back within 2 weeks. I have not yet had a chance to take the shotgun to the range to test it and see if the FTF issue had been resolved. I will update this thread with the results once I have more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Another data point: Shooting in a Sporting Clays winter league (using my Super Vinci) another shooter asked about my Benelli shotgun... I told him that other than being Super-Ugly, I loved the gun... it was flawless in function. He mentioned that he had recently purchased an Ethos, and had significant FTF issues... returned it twice, and was getting worse instead of better. I wanted an Ethos when they were first announced, as my SV and M2 are 100% reliable so far, but after talking with several shooters I'm leaning toward the Beretta A400.

BTW: The gun that I referenced in my original post is now running about 99% reliable... usually 1 FTF on a course of 100 rounds.

Capt_C

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another new Ethos gun with same FTF, Failure to Feed, issue:

I have a friend who has had all the exact same issues listed above. About 3 months after purchasing, on March 6, 2014 & shooting about 500 rounds, it started with about 10% FTF.

Returned gun to Gun Dealer in July 2014, he sent it to Benelli. It came back after 3 weeks. After about 400 rounds, it got progressively worse. Have now shot about 1200 rounds and about 5-10% FTF. Never know when the 2nd shot is going to fire or jam. Very frustrating and many people are asking why?

We are now going back to Benelli directly with this continuing complaint and dissatisfaction.

We have done everything mentioned in this blog and as described above: changing ammo loads, different shooters try it, meticulously cleaning it, tried all ideas from knowledgeable shooters and improvements…nothing works.

It is just not reliable, EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED and frustrated. This should not be happening to a brand new top of the line Benelli ETHOS shotgun, highly advertised and endorsed by many experts. It is advertised to handle all light and heavy loads.

Hopefully, someone or Benelli knows how to correct this major engineering flaw? Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hunter

Quick update: Received the Ethos back from Benelli last week for FTF repair. They replaced the magazine spring, said it was too long. Took it to the range this morning and the result was encouraging. There was only 1 FTF out of 200 rounds. The FTF happened near the end of the session, after about 180 rounds. Keeping my fingers crossed...until next time.

• 2 months later...

Well, Benelli took care of me and replaced the entire shotgun with a new one. I sold it as "new in box" and bought an over-and-under. No more FTF or FTE issues ;-)

If I had known that the 828U would be released I probably would have bought that instead...

• 2 weeks later...

12 Ga., Ethos gun with same FTF, Failure to Feed, issue. Updates- NO improvement…Heck, it is worse.

Received Ethos back from Benelli January 30, 2015. They received it January 9, 2015= 21 days.

Benelli wrote, “1-28-15, function test, test fired with 42 rounds Federal and Fiocchi 7/8 oz. Winchester 1 oz, Winchester, Remington, Noble Sport and Rio 1 1/8 oz. Shot by WS & JC. No malfunctions. WS.”

We shot it:

February, 7, 2015. Had failure to feed ( FTF) 11 out of 100 rounds #’s: 5,8,15,20,35,60,69,72,73,75,79. All shells were Federal 2 ¾ DE 1 1/8 oz,.

February 8, 2015: Had failure to feed ( FTF) 1 out of 125 rounds #’s: 104. All shells were Federal 2 ¾ DE 1 1/8 oz.

March 23, 2015: Had failure to feed ( FTF) 2 out of 100 rounds #’s: 60, 95. Shells were 1-50 Federal 2 ¾ DE 1 1/8 oz.; 51-100 Winchester AA, 3 ¼ DE, 1 1/8 oz.

March 24, 2015: Had failure to feed ( FTF) 2 out of 200 rounds #: approximately #’s:130, 180; Shells 1-125 were Federal 2 ¾ DE 1 1/8 oz,.; Shells 126-200 were Winchester AA, 3 ¼ DE, 1 1/8 oz.

Any ideas on how to proceed….all appreciated? Send back to Benelli…take to a gunsmith pro? This is extremely frustrating for the owner and shooting squad. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Sent mine back to Benelli, they replaced with a new Ethos. Haven't got a chance to take it to the range yet.

I've had the same FTF issues with my Ethos. Sent it back to Benelli 3 times. On the 3rd trip they replaced my Ethos with a new one. The first time I shot a round of sporting clays it ran 100%. But since then I have ran around 1400 shells through it and it has never ran 100% again. It will at the very least have one FTF out of 100 rounds. I'm also very disappointed but really hope they can figure the problem out. Because I really like this gun, I just want it to work as advertised. So for now I just keep shooting it. I'm waiting for someone that's having this problem to report that it was fixed before I waste my time sending it to Benelli again

Well, this may NOT be statistically scientific, but it appears that the NRA's "New shotgun of the year" awarded to the Benelli Ethos is basically unreliable. I suspect if you get one that runs 100%, you're fortunate. Otherwise, your "screening" Benelli's defective design in search of the gun that runs reliably.

I've got two Benelli's that have NEVER failed (Super Vinci and M2). I really wanted an Ethos, but I'm soooooo glad I'd didn't scratch that itch.

Capt_C

more pics... From the previous post you can see the red shotshell stuck in the receiver.

In the pictures here below you can see the barrel removed and where the shotshell (pink) gets stuck and fails to feed (FTF). The last picture shows the inside side of the receiver where the shotshell rubs against.

It would almost appear to me as if the SPRING and CARRIER LATCH (that keeps the second shotshell in the magazine tube is to stiff and pinches the second shotshell against the inside wall of the receiver as it is trying to feed it into the chamber of the barrel...

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, please.

Cameron

Hi Cameron,

Are you still having issues with this? I have the UK equivalent of the Ethos, the Rafaello Power Bore and have exactly the same problem as you. I put some 32gr cartridges through mine (50 albeit) and had 0 failure to feed. I don't understand why a 32gr works flawlessly and a 28gr doesn't when the problem seems to be a pinching between the walls of the breach and carrier latch? (Not sure of the US imperial equivalent). Did you get the cartridge latch changed? I might send mine in to have it changed.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Cameron,

Are you still having issues with this? ...

Ryan

Ryan,

I sold my Benelli Ethos and purchased a dedicated over-and-under. I am shooting sporting clays, skeet, and trap exclusively - I cannot afford to have the shotgun jam on me or fail in any way. I really wanted the Ethos and loved the look and feel of the gun, but the unreliability and not being able to depend on it when it matters was not acceptable to me.

I am sorry I do not have better news.

When I sent in my Ethos for service to Benelli they sent me a new shotgun. I sold it as a "new in box" shotgun as I reasoned I would get the most money for it when it was new, unused.

Thanks - Cameron.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update on my Power bore (US Ethos). Had the cartridge latch mechanism replaced, it looks quite different from before. Cycled 50x 32g(1 1/8oz) flawlessly. Need to try lighter loads yet. Did have a bit of an issue with one cartridge however (i was using 65mm cartridges) and it ended up jumping over the carrier guard and jamming between the ejection port and chamber. I will continue to use it and provide updates for anyone interested.

Another Ethos FTF problem--Purchased at Bass Pro 07/02/15 and on 07/09/15 I called Technical to describe my problem. The Tech was very helpful and with my request he agreed to send me a replacement latch, spring and pin to save time rather than send the gun in for 6-8 week repair and return. I received an Ethos button and Vinci spring 07/23/15 with the latch back-ordered for 1 to 4 weeks. I wonder if or when a correction has been made in production? It would be interesting to compare serial numbers of the Ethos with and without the problems, specially the replacement guns without problems. Mine is #F340175H14....