New Ethos FTF/FTE

Capt_C

Codger76...you probably don't need all that stuff anyhow. In the process of working on many Ethos guns I have found the cartridge latch spring to be too heavy. This pinches the shell during feeding and sometimes does not allow the carrier to raise the shell. Trim about 1 1/2 coils from the cartridge latch spring and make sure during reassembly that the open end of the spring goes into the back of the latch, not against the wall of the receiver. As with any Benelli, make sure the bolt rails are oiled.

• 1 month later...

My new Ethos started to fail to load the second shell 20% of the time. Benelli was great and offered to repair it at their site. I wanted to skip that and get it running by understanding and repairing the problem myself if possible. After the first shot I would find shell #2 sitting on the carrier arm as in the earlier post's pictures. After much field testing and simulations I found what was happening is that shell #2 would fly out of the magazine tube, hit and bounce off of the stops on the trigger group casting and miss the step ground into the shell carrier latch. By miss I mean the shell and its rim will proceed back toward the magazine tube sliding past the shell carrier latch notch by 1/8-1/4". All of this activity is normal except if the shell's rim doesn't stop at the notch ground into the shell carrier latch the Ethos design will not allow the carrier to raise hanging up shell #2. (Oddly when I simulated the shell missing the latch notch on a SBE or M2 the carrier would still raise and load shell #2. The Ethos has a profile machined into the receiver that won't allow shell #2 to load unless its held by the notch. Why the difference I don't know. I do know my SBE and M2 has never behaved like my Ethos). I determined the shell carrier latch was not doing its job so I ordered a new one. It arrived and right away I noticed the notch ground into the arm was sharp and stepped nicely with a slight undercut. By appearance it was cut differently then the one in my Ethos. Installation was uneventful. The new carrier latch is in and I can say that after about 500+ shells fired as doubles on clays my Ethos has not missed a beat! If things change I will repost, otherwise if yours is acting like the others in these posts take a look at the shell carrier latch....

• 2 weeks later...
My new Ethos started to fail to load the second shell 20% of the time. Benelli was great and offered to repair it at their site. I wanted to skip that and get it running by understanding and repairing the problem myself if possible. After the first shot I would find shell #2 sitting on the carrier arm as in the earlier post's pictures. After much field testing and simulations I found what was happening is that shell #2 would fly out of the magazine tube, hit and bounce off of the stops on the trigger group casting and miss the step ground into the shell carrier latch. By miss I mean the shell and its rim will proceed back toward the magazine tube sliding past the shell carrier latch notch by 1/8-1/4". All of this activity is normal except if the shell's rim doesn't stop at the notch ground into the shell carrier latch the Ethos design will not allow the carrier to raise hanging up shell #2. (Oddly when I simulated the shell missing the latch notch on a SBE or M2 the carrier would still raise and load shell #2. The Ethos has a profile machined into the receiver that won't allow shell #2 to load unless its held by the notch. Why the difference I don't know. I do know my SBE and M2 has never behaved like my Ethos). I determined the shell carrier latch was not doing its job so I ordered a new one. It arrived and right away I noticed the notch ground into the arm was sharp and stepped nicely with a slight undercut. By appearance it was cut differently then the one in my Ethos. Installation was uneventful. The new carrier latch is in and I can say that after about 500+ shells fired as doubles on clays my Ethos has not missed a beat! If things change I will repost, otherwise if yours is acting like the others in these posts take a look at the shell carrier latch....

that's good that you found and easy fix as the Ethos is very nice shotgun maybe this will help out some other folks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: Had exact same experience with identical behavior, received the modified back-ordered latch and after having it installed over 1000 rounds ago my Ethos has run perfectly. It has been easy to forget the earlier problem and I am VERY happy with it. The new latch appears to have been modified individually as you describe by a highly skilled technician---I will attach photos of the original latch with the new one to the right. BTW, no visible wear on the sharper edge of the new latch so far.

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4789.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg

Edited by Codger76

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I repaired this Shell Latch issue back in sept 2015. Six months later my Ethos has cycled several hundred double target firings without any issues. In my opinion they have/had a quality issue with the Shell Latch notch profile and it seems random who gets a problem one. If you do have trouble its a five minute fix with a Benelli provided correct part. I have moved past my initial cycling troubles and trust my Ethos to cycle every time the trigger is pulled. Good Luck!!!

I'm thinking about getting this gun in the future, any further updates from any of you about this problem?

Thanks for your input!

I repaired this Shell Latch issue back in sept 2015. Six months later my Ethos has cycled several hundred double target firings without any issues. In my opinion they have/had a quality issue with the Shell Latch notch profile and it seems random who gets a problem one. If you do have trouble its a five minute fix with a Benelli provided correct part. I have moved past my initial cycling troubles and trust my Ethos to cycle every time the trigger is pulled. Good Luck!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am having same issue with my ethos - I have had it for 3 years but year 2 was not able to get out and shoot at all and am now back out shooting and getting FTF about 5-10% of time. Has your fix remained? I love the feel of the gun but am very frustrated with the second shot jams.

Thanks

• 2 years later...