Is it a Crime to sell a LE M4 to a Non LEO?

les_garten

Since I bought my LE M4 I've been curious about the import restrictions and laws governing the M4 and it's importation.

I bought my LE M4 off Gunbroker from a Brick and Mortar gun shop.

It was brand new in box.

Are these LE sales restrictions a "suggestion"? I know they are more than that, but when Benelli sells to a distributor or whoever they sell to, what are the regulations restricting sales from that point on.

Once they are imported by Benelli USA and they sell to whoever has "promised" to only sell to Letterhead agencies, are there any "real" penalties for not doing so?

Are these LE sales restrictions a "suggestion"? I know they are more than that, but when Benelli sells to a distributor or whoever they sell to, what are the regulations restricting sales from that point on.

I believe the Federal Guidelines for barrel length is 18 inches. The Benelli M4's can come in 14" or 18.5" configurations. There are exceptions to this but it requires being an active or retired LEO, licensed class III ffl dealer or a citizen with a class III approval.

I believe the Federal Guidelines for barrel length is 18 inches. The Benelli M4's can come in 14" or 18.5" configurations. There are exceptions to this but it requires being an active or retired LEO, licensed class III ffl dealer or a citizen with a class III approval.

I'm not referring to an NFA gun, mine is a LE with 18.5" barrel. Should have stated that.

Here's mine:

Label.jpg

I have a few ARs from Colt that are marked "Restricted Use, Law Enforcement Only." I think that maybe Colt did that to cover their own butt in case one was used in a crime. It might give them the excuse that these rifles were never intended for the civilian market. Maybe Benelli is doing the same.

Mike

I have a few ARs from Colt that are marked "Restricted Use, Law Enforcement Only." I think that maybe Colt did that to cover their own butt in case one was used in a crime. It might give them the excuse that these rifles were never intended for the civilian market. Maybe Benelli is doing the same.

Mike

My understanding is that this is an import restriction.

Anything Colt does is different, it is not an import consideration.

• 2 weeks later...
My understanding is that this is an import restriction.

You are correct. The restriction is importation (and, because of ITAR, exportation). The weapon already met all of the importation requirements otherwise it would not have been legally brought into the US and sold to you by the B&M store you purchased it from. You are free to sell it based on the laws of your current state of residence as long as you are not exporting it in violation of ITAR.