Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New R1

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder90 View Post
    Very similar! Your hogs prefer Pinot Noir and mine like bourbon. Both don't like 30 cal magnums. Terrain here is either swampy with thick oak hammocks and palmettos or dense pine stands. Flat, hot, dense and humid. Been hunting with a very handy 300BLK SBR this winter and done well w/ the right loads, but with more and more bear also on cam, I'd prefer some more KE.
    I carry a Glock 20 w/ a KKM barrel and 200gr hardcast Underwoods in a chest rig - especially when bowhunting early season.

My R1 is also long in tooth. It was born in 2007 and apparently sat on the Gander shelf for 10 years before I came along and adopted it. It has the new gas block assembly, full comfortech furniture and, yes, the crio treatment.. Good to know it can handle the heat and I don't have to wait so long between strings...
    I'll have to check the weight of my trigger. 4lbs sounds lighter than mine.
    Hey Thunder, hows that new R1 treating you? Did you get the ammo dialed in?

2. Default

Iíve been busy bowhunting - havenít had much time lately. I did pick up some heavier loads to try though. Hope to try them soon.

3. Default

Iíve been busy bowhunting - havenít had much time lately. I did pick up some heavier loads to try though. Hope to try them soon.
    Nice. Our archery season ended in September and now fully into rifle season. I did arrow a big boar sipping chardonnay in August, but lost it on the adjacent ranch. :-( Real boars dont drink chardonnay, so I was trying to get him out of the gene pool.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
    Nice. Our archery season ended in September and now fully into rifle season. I did arrow a big boar sipping chardonnay in August, but lost it on the adjacent ranch. :-( Real boars dont drink chardonnay, so I was trying to get him out of the gene pool.
    Hey PC - sry you couldn't recover your boar, but you did the right thing taking that shot. Never trust a chard drinker. Ever. I just arrowed a decent hog last night and got lucky - didn't take another step. May get out to the range today to play with the R1...

I too bought a R1 this year, i reload and it took many trips to the range before I finally found a recipe that it liked. It varied from 4" groups to less than 1" at 100 yards.
    Keep trying.....

6. Default

Congrats on the R1 and finding the right load. Iíve always said I wouldnít go down the rabbit hole of reloading. Well, I just bought a basic set up last week... So I have to ask. Whatís your R1 chambered in and what recipe you using?

7. Default

Hey PC.. you make out ok with the fires out there? Looking rough from what I can see in the media. Hope allís well...

8. Default

Hey PC.. you make out ok with the fires out there? Looking rough from what I can see in the media. Hope all’s well...
    Thanks for asking. We are about 80 miles south if it, but the smoke was bad for almost two weeks. I cancelled a deer hunt last weekend, because roads were closed. Lots of coughing, my wife got bronchitis, kids had to stay in for the most part. Everyone around here knows people who lost everything. Really good support locally and from the rest of the country. Some wineries and vineyards were burned, but the majority of the damage was in blue collar suburbs and rural homes. Recovery will be a long haul.

9. Default

Glad to hear you and the fam fared reasonably well considering. Tough year for a lot of folks - makes you appreciate what you have. Irma had a similar effect here. Lots of my hunting spots are still underwater. Hope you guys get back to normal soon and you can get out in the deer woods w/ the R1. I may try and get out for an evening deer hunt today...