Problem with Benelli M2

roadrunner1

I purchased a Benelli M2 for my wife two years ago, she uses it for trap once a month to shoot 3 rounds (75 shells). The gun worked flawlessly for the first year but then it started acting up. She feeds it one round at a time due to the Gun Club rules. When the shell is placed into the action and the bolt release button is pressed to close the bolt, once in a while the bolt will not close all the way, the bolt will not rotate final 1/4 inch in order to fully close it. After I take it apart and clean/oil it it will work for approximately 50 shells and then it will act up again. I called Benelli and they suggested cleaning the recoil spring which involves heating up the nut to remove the spring or they suggested sending it to their service department. Have any of you experienced the same problem and what is the solution, the gun has only about 1000 shells through it and I know it can't be a dirty recoil spring. I tried different ammo but I think the problem is with the bolt carrier. Any ideas would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased a Benelli M2 for my wife two years ago, she uses it for trap once a month to shoot 3 rounds (75 shells). The gun worked flawlessly for the first year but then it started acting up. She feeds it one round at a time due to the Gun Club rules. When the shell is placed into the action and the bolt release button is pressed to close the bolt, once in a while the bolt will not close all the way, the bolt will not rotate final 1/4 inch in order to fully close it. After I take it apart and clean/oil it it will work for approximately 50 shells and then it will act up again. I called Benelli and they suggested cleaning the recoil spring which involves heating up the nut to remove the spring or they suggested sending it to their service department. Have any of you experienced the same problem and what is the solution, the gun has only about 1000 shells through it and I know it can't be a dirty recoil spring. I tried different ammo but I think the problem is with the bolt carrier. Any ideas would be helpful.

I will presume that you are competent in cleaning and lubing the weapon, and rule out issues there (really, it should run filthy and dry for at least a little bit anyways...).

My first step would be an OEM replacement action spring.

I clean and oil all my guns after every use. I also take the bolt apart and clean/oil the pin and rails.The ammo used is Remington GunClub, Herters and Federal. I spoke with Benelli and they suggested sending it in, the tech thinks they might have to polish the bolt lugs.

Polish the bolt lugs after this many rounds?

Buy and replace the action spring first, IMO.

The amount of shot suspending debris flying during the cycling is amazing. Our high speed cameras show how much is flying in the action.

flush out the recoil spring area and apply a light lubricant to the area. You don’t want a grease since it will make the action sluggish. Particularly in the cold.

I would focus on ammo first though. My Benelli M4 hates Winchester valuepack but eats Federal valuepack all day long. The lighter the loads, the more susceptible they are to failure if the shooter isn’t firmly holding the weapon in place.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an example of what's known to a lot of us as the "Benelli click". I'll call it "BC". Since the locking head doesn't rotate fully into battery, pulling the trigger results in a . . . . Well, you know. There are many pontificated solutions that have been bandied about over the years. Thorough cleaning and lubrication are the more common. Ammo selection is another. A stronger/replacement recoil spring is another. Some solutions work on some guns. Others are more frustrating. Myself, I found solutions for two of my guns that consistently manifested the "BC". On one, I switched locking heads between the one that had the problem and one that didn't, in an effort to narrow down the cause. Upon doing so, the one that had the problem stopped having the problem. The one that didn't have the problem continued to not have the problem. ??? Go figure. Regardless, problem solved on the one gun. An older M1 with a blued locking head also did the BC. I purchased a chromed locking head and, voila, problem went away. I don't know what the underlying problem is other than possibly slight variances in the tolerances between the locking head and the barrel extension it locks into. Benelli never seemed to acknowledge there was an actual problem. UNTIL, that is, when they recently re-designed the bolt/locking head on the Ethos (I think), and now the SBE3. There's now a detent mechanism that operates on the closing bolt that appears to eliminate the problem. Unfortunately, the new bolt/locking head are not backwards compatible with the older guns.

• 3 years later...

I have a m2 that had issues cycling the shells and it was worse in cold weather.  I sent back to Benelli and it came home with the same issue.

My boy friend has a m2 also and never had any issues.  He has put over 10000 shells thru his gun so I took a shot in the dark and switched my bolt for his.  
results:  I have not had any issue with cycling , no matter what she’ll I use or how cold it is outside

i hope this helps