Why so many discontinued aftermarket parts for the M4?

bcruze

So after some years I finally picked up an M4. I haven't kept up with the aftermarket in the interim since 2012, but does anyone have any idea why so many of the nicer/'cool' aftermarket parts are no longer available?

- Geissele Hammer

- Surefire M80 Foreend

- ATI Raven furniture (not that I'd want this, just an example)

- ATI flat mag cap

- Carrier Comp charging handles (I get it, focused on the mag tubes)

It seems like the only company still making M4 parts are FFT and GG&G. With the kind of backlog that Carier Comp has for mag tubes, there clearly seems to still be a demand for modifications to this gun...it's just odd that so many things are discontinued.

Alternatively, if anyone has a Geissele hammer and Surefire forend they'd like to get rid of, let me know. :)

So after some years I finally picked up an M4. I haven't kept up with the aftermarket in the interim since 2012, but does anyone have any idea why so many of the nicer/'cool' aftermarket parts are no longer available?

- Geissele Hammer Bill G is all about money, it just wasn't a high enough seller to tool up for/make when he can laser out AR and SCAR triggers all day.

- Surefire M80 Foreend It sucked anyways.

- ATI Raven furniture (not that I'd want this, just an example) Probably their chinese machines broke and the production run was a one and done thing, lol

- ATI flat mag cap Probably similar.

- Carrier Comp charging handles (I get it, focused on the mag tubes) This, I am not so sure on, except that he probably produced them at a financial loss. The tangs were air-hardened A2 tool still, the "caps" were titanium with 3 very tiny holes drilled, a press-fit, and a strong adhesive shot down the 3 holes to bond the tang and cap. Then ionbond. It was...intensive.

It seems like the only company still making M4 parts are FFT and GG&G. With the kind of backlog that Carier Comp has for mag tubes, there clearly seems to still be a demand for modifications to this gun...it's just odd that so many things are discontinued.

Alternatively, if anyone has a Geissele hammer and Surefire forend they'd like to get rid of, let me know. :)

Just my take on it.

Volume.

Lower volume means both higher production costs per unit and lower over all sales. Only a portion of M4 owners will buy your aftermarket part.

I think most that make parts for the M4 and stick with it do it because they have an affinity for the platform and not because it is the most fiscally responsible way to expend ones resources.

Volume.

Lower volume means both higher production costs per unit and lower over all sales. Only a portion of M4 owners will buy your aftermarket part.

I think most that make parts for the M4 and stick with it do it because they have an affinity for the platform and not because it is the most fiscally responsible way to expend ones resources.

I get what you're saying but in the case of Geissele, it seemed to me that they would do a run, which would be sold almost immediately, then there would be months before they would release more, then those would be quickly sold out again.

It was months before I was able to obtain one over 2 years ago.

They were never sitting around collecting dust anywhere. Maybe they were just too much of a PITA to make. But, those of use who are willing to pay for premium parts, probably are willing to pay a little more, if that's what it takes.

As already stated, it's a small niche market.

Edited by Evolution

Volume.

Some companies respond to a request. LAPD is big enough to make requests that they will react to, if they are mobile enough to do it without breaking the bank. Otherwise, yep. Labor of love.

And in this case, I did contact Geissele and didn't receive a response. Kip clearly states on his page that he's focusing on tubes so there's no reason to contact him. As for the ATI stuff, it was garbage anyhow but thrown in as an example of more discontinued stuff.

Good efforts with Gieselle. I'll send another this month. It surely doesn't go to a dead end. Somebody still has to delete it.

Same with Kip. If you two agreed, you wouldn't be crying to us. He would be making them. So go cry to him.

Who cares what he says, he's an old crazy machinist. A nobody, it's just easy for him to make a living on M4 mag tubes.

If enough people start clamoring. He will make them again. He hasn't received enough attention. A mob of 500 people outside his shop would get action. If you want it. Tell him.

This "community" isn't one. There's Stranger danger, benelli works, rose action sports, unobtanium and maybe a handful of idlers. Ava and scalar works. And a squad of little boys with toys and sensitive feelings.

Its more like a troubleshooting board than anything else.

Youre re not gonna get a response like you would on FNforum or ar15 1919 any of those..

id go hit up the three gun and tacticool crowd for mass support. Get a petition or survey, something. Asking why isn't gonna do much.

Im only here cause I am in agreement with you

Minimal market volume is the main issue. Cost is also an issue. People going full out building up M4’s end up spending a lot for marginal improvements. I’ve had people drop 4K outfitting these shotguns. That doesn’t count the cost of the weapon itself.

We do have quite a few companies that specialize parts for this platform. Ava Tactical was built and designed here. IWC is now supporting the platform. Scalarworks was specifically made for us. Carriercomp and FFT have both been providing product for years. I’m happy to see companies like A&S step in to the market and approach products I didn’t think anyone would ever try.

We do get crappy brands come through and try to get in to the market. I don’t blame them for trying but wish they would provide a product that is equal or superior to OEM. Some may remember my fights with ATI when their owner got butt hurt over my comments about their product. When given the opportunity to send their item for unbiased testing on my test bed M4, they refused even though I would have sent it back after the reviewing process. TTI has had hits and misses.

This forum rum is a lot slower than it used to be. In the past you’d come daily and find a dozen new threads. Lately you’re lucky to find a single one with activity.

Minimal market volume is the main issue. Cost is also an issue. People going full out building up M4’s end up spending a lot for marginal improvements. I’ve had people drop 4K outfitting these shotguns. That doesn’t count the cost of the weapon itself.

We do have quite a few companies that specialize parts for this platform. Ava Tactical was built and designed here. IWC is now supporting the platform. Scalarworks was specifically made for us. Carriercomp and FFT have both been providing product for years. I’m happy to see companies like A&S step in to the market and approach products I didn’t think anyone would ever try.

We do get crappy brands come through and try to get in to the market. I don’t blame them for trying but wish they would provide a product that is equal or superior to OEM. Some may remember my fights with ATI when their owner got butt hurt over my comments about their product. When given the opportunity to send their item for unbiased testing on my test bed M4, they refused even though I would have sent it back after the reviewing process. TTI has had hits and misses.

This forum rum is a lot slower than it used to be. In the past you’d come daily and find a dozen new threads. Lately you’re lucky to find a single one with activity.

Agreed, kindof a testimony to the platform. People get it, they do what they want with it, and it works so they have no further issue/question. We just don't get a deluge of "Why is my M4 not doing such and such" or "my so and so part broke..."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

M80-2.jpg

- Geissele Hammer

- Surefire M80 Foreend

- ATI Raven furniture (not that I'd want this, just an example)

- ATI flat mag cap

- Carrier Comp charging handles (I get it, focused on the mag tubes)

I just received in the mail today a brand new Surefire M80 fore end replacement from the factory. It replaces one that I was having trouble with. Surefire Tech Support deemed my old one defective and unable to repair. Although part is no longer available Surefire told me they had several in stock and would send me a new replacement. I have since purchased the B&T quad rail so no longer need the Surefire M80. I am putting this up for sale. I am asking $300.00 to include shipping.

Blessings...

M80-6.jpg

M80-5.jpg

M80-4.jpg

M80-3.jpg

Edited by bodybuilder
Added Pics

aaahhh the old days,when this forum was the happening place to be for the M1014/M4 owners , for many years,,good times ,good memories.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3423[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3424[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3425[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3426[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3427[/ATTACH]

I just received in the mail today a brand new Surefire M80 fore end replacement from the factory. It replaces one that I was having trouble with. Surefire Tech Support deemed my old one defective and unable to repair. Although part is no longer available Surefire told me they had several in stock and would send me a new replacement. I have since purchased the B&T quad rail so no longer need the Surefire M80. I am putting this up for sale. I am asking $300.00 to include shipping.

Blessings...

" SOLD"...