Who makes the best tube and spring?

Jolly Roger

I have little experience installing extended magazine tubes and spring on the M4 platform, I currently have done so on 4 Benelli M4s, 1 M3 and a few other shotgun brands. However I now have a box full of springs of all shapes and sizes to play with.

On the M4 I have installed 3 metal tubes and one in titanium. Ive noticed differences in the Benelli stock 5 rnd springs. Some are longer, thicker ga. and the shape of the spring round vs square. (all probably depending on the manufacture date of the gun)

Ive seen a few differences in aftermarket springs as well.

Daves metal works comes with a square profiled spring in his extension kits for example, and Freedom Fighter Tactical came with a rounded profile spring.

The combination of the round spring profile and titanium tube make for a pleasantly quiet loading experience while the square spring profile and metal tube combination leaves you with the "nails on a chalkboard" feel.

Ive used rounded profile springs in the metal tubes and it is "more quite" but not as quite as the titanium tubes.

As far as strength goes, the metal tubes are superior over the titanium ones but twice the weight and sometimes 3 times the price.

Ive had problems with spring size in the past and not being able to fit the advertised amount of ammunition into the magazine after the install.

Ive been down every road, swapping out springs, leaving the 5 rnd spring in (only to have feeding problems at the range,) a cut here, a snip there...leaving the spring retainer sticking out 1/4 inch ect.

I think Ive tried it all and each project seems to need its own individual fix or solution.

So I ask you my fellow Benelli Brothers what has worked for you?

Is there a perfect spring out there? Is there a perfect out the box spring and tube combo?

For the M4, I'm partial to the carriercomp full length magazine tubes with their Wolff spec magazine spring. I take the magazine tube and polish the internals with a shotgun cleaning rod wrapped in steel wool. A few minutes in a drill chuck and you end up with a mirror polished magazine tube. It minimizes the cheese grater noise of the spring and makes you cooler.

My best ones are NP3+ plated then polished. NP3+ isn't warrantied to adhere to titanium, but I have had no problems.

I run the Carrier Comp tube with the Wolff spring that accompanied it. I also run a Nordic +2 on the end so I can get 9 in the tube, one in the chamber, and a ghost load if I am so inclined. I did not use a longer spring when I added the +2 and it has functioned perfectly. It is very important to keep the tube clean so the follower can move freely. I am always amazed at how much dirt and grime comes out of the magazine tube after a few 3-gun matches. Also, I run a patch with a little oil on it through the mag tube after cleaning. You want it pretty dry, but a super light coat seems to make the follower move a little more freely.

Mike

Been a while since we have had a FL Tube discussion.... thought that I would join in and say that I'm still around. Been making FL tubes for about 12 years now. High quality 4130 chrome moly aircraft grade steel. The inside on my tubes have a mirror like finish, no galling or follower sticking here. I know that the TI tubes are the hot item, but grit, alum followers and TI don't play nice together. The weight question comes up now and then, my tube weighs 8.8 oz, a TI tube about 5.75 oz, by the time you load 7 - 00's you hardly know the difference.

Still here and making a few... 100% happy customers [email protected]

Joe B

Edited by SOCOMguy

I believe one must consider the weight differences when comparing the metals. Most discussions always have strength to weight ratio factored in.

Being from the aircraft industry for the last 32 years, I have a bit of experience with the lighter weight alloys. I really don’t care to get into a debate, just wanted to interject the above. I’ve always used steel tubes, the few ounces of weight savings is not worth the cost, IMO. Then there is the issue of running an aluminum follower in a titanium tube. The clearance is large enough to prevent galling, but the idea makes me cringe.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe one must consider the weight differences when comparing the metals. Most discussions always have strength to weight ratio factored in.

Being from the aircraft industry for the last 32 years, I have a bit of experience with the lighter weight alloys. I really don’t care to get into a debate, just wanted to interject the above. I’ve always used steel tubes, the few ounces of weight savings is not worth the cost, IMO. Then there is the issue of running an aluminum follower in a titanium tube. The clearance is large enough to prevent galling, but the idea makes me cringe.

There isn't enough friction and tension going on to cause galling of any merit.

You DO need to use a primer with loctite though, as they 7075 and Ti are both inert.

Yeah, galling is not gonna happen, the tolerances would have to be allot tighter.

A real life scenario, say a shotgun leaned against a tree and falling over on a rock ....

The titanium tube isnt going to fair as well as a steel one.

Plus, Im not paying $250 more for a tube thats main benefit is difference is a golf ball in weight.

Dont know why nobody isnt making tubes in stainless...

Yeah, galling is not gonna happen, the tolerances would have to be allot tighter.

A real life scenario, say a shotgun leaned against a tree and falling over on a rock ....

The titanium tube isnt going to fair as well as a steel one.

Plus, Im not paying $250 more for a tube thats main benefit is difference is a golf ball in weight.

Dont know why nobody isnt making tubes in stainless...

It honestly does make the gun handlendifferently

I am using carriercomps tube and spring never had a chance to test it yet so busy with new woman and flying to her country hard for me to get out to the range. but I installed it and it worked perfect the fit is unreal. the finish is crazy very nice I am sold on it. they make different other ones that are nice also like tarantactical ect . but for me carriercomp is my go to for for all my M4 parts if carriercomp made a plane **** i would buy it to fly to colombia and save money on flights lol. all in all you won't go wrong with these parts. i never seen anyone make better parts than these guys on this Benelli form

You won’t be denting a titanium magazine tube. I had a video where they were driving over a piece of the same diameter tube stock with a truck with zero deformation.

Driving over it with a rubber tire truck is a bit different than a sling letting loose and the gun falling three feet onto rocks.

The truck test has little merit IMO.