Extremely disappointed with my my brand new Benelli M4

cfrea

I just picked up a brand new M4 from the local gun shop. Went the next day to the range to fire it and every single round started to fail to eject.

I get home to inspect, and I notice damage as well as some weird rust or gunk all over the components...

IMG_0052 - Copy.jpg

For all new owners, check your gun prior to taking it out the range. Now its gotta go back for warranty service. The customer service rep had no idea what that substance was nor how the whole thing got chewed up. Spending this much on a gun only to have this issues right from the start is really frustrating.

IMG_0048 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0049 - Copy.jpg

The winchester 8 pellet winlite buckshot has had a lot of issues with cycling, and I would try something other than the fiocchi 7/8oz low recoil slugs. They are likely not enough to cycle a new gun.

I just Fiocchi normal 1350 or so FPS buckshot as well as some Federal non low recoil slugs

I just Fiocchi normal 1350 or so FPS buckshot as well as some Federal non low recoil slugs

Was the weapon cleaned and lubricated and properly assembled/verified?

Does the ejector move freely but with reasonable spring tension present?

can you cycle the weapon by hand, with no ammunition, and feel any meaningful binding after the first cycle which sets the hammer?

do the gas pistons move smoothly and easily through their operational travel, and when removed and rolled across a true surface , do they appear straight? Are the marks they have made on the carrier face roughly comparable to one another, or does it look as though one is impacting significantly harder?

Does the extractor have full range of motion with proper spring tension, and is it's contact edge even and appear without defect?

Edited by Unobtanium
  • Upvote 1

Was the weapon cleaned and lubricated and properly assembled/verified?

Does the ejector move freely but with reasonable spring tension present?

can you cycle the weapon by hand, with no ammunition, and feel any meaningful binding after the first cycle which sets the hammer?

do the gas pistons move smoothly and easily through their operational travel, and when removed and rolled across a true surface , do they appear straight? Are the marks they have made on the carrier face roughly comparable to one another, or does it look as though one is impacting significantly harder?

Does the extractor have full range of motion with proper spring tension, and is it's contact edge even and appear without defect?

hope he is listening,,good pointers

Uhhh,,,somebody dumped sawdust inside his recoil spring tube? Or is that first pic on the left showing metal abrasion on the bolt carrier link? Love it when people don't tell you specifically what they think you're supposed to see in their damn pictures, and specifically where it's supposed to be located.

Edited by Evolution

Uhhh,,,somebody dumped sawdust inside his recoil spring tube? Or is that first pic on the left showing metal abrasion on the bolt carrier link? Love it when people don't tell you specifically what they think you're supposed to see in their damn pictures, and specifically where it's supposed to be located.

Have to agree here. Just exactly what are we seeing. Yes, I know the first two are the link that attaches to the back of the bolt body. There's obviously something there, but what? Is the "damage" you're talking about to the metal of the link or is it something else that has been deposited onto the link. The third pic shows the face of the recoil spring plunger but I don't see anything obviously amiss there. More explanation of the photos would be helpful.

Oh, and, is there some reason you didn't follow your own advise: "For all new owners, check your gun prior to taking it out the range."

Edited by truckcop

Or maybe you expect their distributors to have a standard to uphold.

If I owned Benelli/Beretta, and there was some ass clown selling my product in that condition, his contract would sharply be revoked.

but.... Benelli has atrocious customer support.. They don't even interact with the community.. EVER.

Up there with HK and Sig.

First and Last Benelli/Beretta ever ..

Diddo on that, clean, clean, clean, inspect, inspect, inspect, lube, lube, lube before any rounds go down the tube here! If it was mine and I had spent that kinda money, it would be on it's way back to Benelli PERIOD! Luckly mine was the aces.

The things you find during the first cleaning would amaze you!!!

If I owned Benelli/Beretta, and there was some ass clown selling my product in that condition, his contract would sharply be revoked.

but.... Benelli has atrocious customer support.. They don't even interact with the community.. EVER.

I've had great experiences with Benelli. Excellent CS. No questions asked replaced a barrel with a canted sight, even though it was 1-2* off max, and sent me spare parts because I could not find it on Brownells, free of charge. Excellent answering of questions, too.

Looks like poor adhesion to the link. It doesn't appear to be scraped off due to cycling. I can't tell by the picture if it is rust. You should contact Benelli and they will probably make it right.

Any weapon should be well cleaned and lubricated when you first get it. Usually the factory puts more of a preservative type of oil on them for long term storage.

Uh huh, yeah.....but you seem to hate everybody. LOL

Ok, no doubt in my mind that you have a poorly finish machined receiver. Given that fact, the rest of the geometry of the inside of the receiver may be suspect as well... and resulting in the FTE's you have experienced.

No telling what the junk on the link is.....I would not be happy with that gun either. I hope CS takes care of you satisfactorily.

Good luck.

Edited by Evolution

The peened spots are normal, except those near the bottom of the tube. That, I question, but am not ruling out as not abnormal. The discoloration on the link, I've seen before. I am not sure the exact issue, but it may have to do with how the welded or soldered portions took to finishing.

That said, ejection happens on the recouping stroke...and your gun is recoiling hard enough go peenthe back of the receiver (normal), so I'd look at ejector tension and mobility , and same for extractor, plus make sure all surfaces of each look normal.