NP3+ project in progress

StrangerDanger

A client of mine contracted with me back in October to build an H2O Extreme with a full list of accessories to be plated. We did some experimental things with this build to see if they’d work. Such as plating an IWC M600 backbone light body and a Surefire tailcap that I disassembled and machined to remove the shroud from the cap.

The light itself works just fine being plated. Sadly we can’t get the head of the lights apart to plate the exterior. I will likely just have the head Cerakoted in titanium to match.

A batch of A&S trigger frames came back plated. All of the markings were concealed during the process.

I had several titanium components plated in NP3+ with excellent results.

The receiver was beveled to permit faster loading. The profile was matched to the A&S trigger frame and a Freedom Fighter Tactical shell elevator.

Build sheet on this one is as follows. It began as one of the phony Cerakote model H2O models.

Carriercomp titanium magazine tube

carriercomp spec Wolff spring

Carriercomp follower

Ava Tactical light Mount, mod1

IWC M600 Light Body

Surefire M600U light,500 lumens

Surefire tailcap, machined by me to remove the shroud

Freedom Fighter Tactical handguards stippled by TangoDown

Freedom Fighter Tactical Trigger/Disconnectors/Hammer

Freedom Fighter Tactical Shell Elevator

Freedom Fighter Tactical Wolff spec trigger pack spring kit

Dave’s Metal Works Oversized Safety

Beveled Loading port

OEM collapsible stock

Limbsaver buttpad with a modified Noveske adapter plate

IWC QD sling mount

Blueforcegear padded QD sling in Kryptec with silver nylon hardware

Scalarworks Sync for the Trijicon RMR

Trijicon RMR RM01, Nickel Boron plated

Meprolight Night Sights

Since I don’t know how to link from my phone to imagru:

https://imgur.com/a/asGZ3

Edited by StrangerDanger

That looks awesome!

You could always do an Arisaka/Malkoff head, and work directly with them to achieve your plating desires re: the head of the light.

Also...that's a lot of work instead of just buying Z61 tail-cap...or did you look and could not source one?

Edited by Unobtanium

Also...that's a lot of work instead of just buying an E2 tail-cap...

Sadly, more than a year ago, Surefire discontinued all of the non-flared .8 inch / scout tailcaps when every single production light in that size came with the flared tailcap. So they simply were not available.

Since that time, Surefire has reintroduced E series lights with non-flared tailcaps but they have not made the tailcaps available as a part. So, the only way to get one is used (pretty dried up),buy a complete light and sell the parts you don't want, or the best way is to have SD make you one.

The market is changing again, as Surefire's new scout light will not have a .8 inch body anymore as it supports a larger OD battery. They've been extremely unclear if the standard scouts will continue to be available, doesn't look good as distributors don't seem to have stock... so....?

Edited by AVATactical.com

Sadly, more than a year ago, Surefire discontinued all of the non-flaired .8 inch / scout tailcaps when every single production light in that size came with the flared tailcap. So they simply were not available.

Since that time, Surefire has reintroduced E series lights with non-flared tailcaps but they have not made the tailcaps available as a part. So, the only way to get one is used (pretty dried up) or but a complete light and sell the parts you don't want, or the best way is to have SD make you one.

The market is changing again, as Surefire's new scout light will not have a .8 inch body anymore as it supports a larger OD battery. They've been extremely unclear if the standard scouts will continue to be available, doesn't look good as distributors don't seem to have stock... so....?

Roger that. If you do much with lights, I suggest a CPF.com account. You can find anything at all there and usually it sells reasonably.

Thanks Joel, I don’t think I can access the hyperlinks from my phone.

As Joel mentioned, those caps are dried up for the most part. I have a lathe, so it’s actually pretty fast to remove the shroud. Maybe 4 or 5 minutes of machine time taking my time and putting a nice beveled profile on the edges. The actual switch comes apart pretty easily with a pair of snapring pliers. Most of the time I just have the caps Cerakoted in batches. I have tried Alumablack in the past, it works okay, but cosmetically it isn’t that great.

The action feels like it has had 10,000 rounds through it. Everything is smooth as butter.

I had to order a replacement pin for the rear sight. My punch exploded when installing it and it got sent in to low earth orbit, never to be seen again.

I disassembled his pistol grip stock and sent the sling mounting hardware in for plating too.

I have two more M4’s being sent in soon. One is a flag edition limited edition and another is a true H2O that is going to have the bevel work done and one of those Asguard Defense rail systems. It should look cool at the least.

I’d probably try firing it with gritted teeth first. Chances are behind the bolt carrier, not much would come out. The rear sight is quite heavy too. I bet it weighs more than the scalaroworks/Trijicon optic.

Mine of the members here removed the front sight tower. He said he had to cook it off with a torch then refinish the barrel.

• 2 weeks later...