Thoughts on the Scalarworks Sync RMR

M2_shootr

Looking for a black Scalarworks Sync RMR mount.

Seems they are backordered, I bought an AimPoint model by mistake. The RMR model is out of stock.

Thanks in advance

** Looks like I may be giving the AimPoint Mount a try. A bit of information about the RMR that I didn’t realize has me rethinking that optic for this use,

Edited by M2_shootr
Idea sideline.....

If was going into war, aimpoint. Seems more protected, durable. Battery changes without removing the sight, tool-less, no screws to loose or need thread lock. Also seems to capture my focus and bring my eye to the dot very effectively

HD or other situations where you are still backed by home comforts, society, functioning economy - the RMR is lower profile, lighter, more open design that works.

If was going into war, aimpoint. Seems more protected, durable. Battery changes without removing the sight, tool-less, no screws to loose or need thread lock. Also seems to capture my focus and bring my eye to the dot very effectively

HD or other situations where you are still backed by home comforts, society, functioning economy - the RMR is lower profile, lighter, more open design that works.

Having been to war(s), this ----^ is spot on. And in spite of the second paragraph's truth, Aimpoint still sits on top of mine.

Having been to war(s), this ----^ is spot on. And in spite of the second paragraph's truth, Aimpoint still sits on top of mine.

I'll stick with my h2, then. I can't imagine the raging ***** it would be to take a weapon outside in the rain only to have it freeze in the emitter pocket of the rmr. Done.

Can you just exchange for the correct mount? I am interested in a Scalarworks Aimpoint mount because I like the design, but the price has kept me at bay. Can't seem to find a deal on one so my Midwest mount is working just fine for now.

Mike

In my eyes,......$119 isn’t an expensive price for a QUALITY optics mount.

In my eyes,......$119 isn’t an expensive price for a QUALITY optics mount.

Generally, I would agree with you. This mount is one piece and has no mating parts, so it is not as complicated to produce as say a one piece cantilevered scope mount. The Midwest equivalent has a street price of about half of the Scalarworks. Even Geissele, who has very expensive parts, has rifle mounts for the Aimppoint that retail for about $95 and can be had for closer to $70 during any of their frequent sales. So to me, they are asking a premium for a mount that might look nicer than the one I am using, but does not really function any better. If I were to see a good deal on a Scalarworks, I would consider changing out the Midwest. At $120, it is just not worth it to me. Are you selling yours?

Mike

I respect your opinion, but I certainly wouldn’t consider the MI mount over the Scalarworks. We are talking about a mount for a Benelli, not a Mossberg or Remington. In my opinion, $50 ain’t shiOt considering the cost of the M4. In my eyes, the MI mount is blocky & only uses two screws for attachment., that’s a fail for me. I’m sure it would get the job done, but it’s just not for me.

Edited by M2_shootr

Generally, I would agree with you. This mount is one piece and has no mating parts, so it is not as complicated to produce as say a one piece cantilevered scope mount. The Midwest equivalent has a street price of about half of the Scalarworks. Even Geissele, who has very expensive parts, has rifle mounts for the Aimppoint that retail for about $95 and can be had for closer to $70 during any of their frequent sales. So to me, they are asking a premium for a mount that might look nicer than the one I am using, but does not really function any better. If I were to see a good deal on a Scalarworks, I would consider changing out the Midwest. At $120, it is just not worth it to me. Are you selling yours?

Mike

It is 7075 (MI uses 6061)

It has a constant-curve underside (takes money to machine and match.)

It has slots that are made for slip-fit interference with the screws (giving it twice the lateral anchorage of the MI mount)

The screws are custom made for this application, and then sent to be Nylok treated (costs more than the screws themselves, what's MI do?).

It also has material removed where it is not needed, in such a way it is not meaningfully, if any, weaker structurally. (Significantly lighter than MI)

This is similar to saying "I see no value in a BMW M4. My Mazda 3 has 4 tires, a combustion engine, etc."

The Geissele Aimpoint mount is also 7075. CNC machines don't really care if cuts are curved or straight. Loctite works great on the MI screws. And I drive a Prius instead of an M series because price matters.

Is it that big a deal that I think the mount is too expensive?

Mike

No, it's your opinion. The G mount also has less cutting operations. It's also less well done, in my experience, regarding the tolerances of the finish. By far.

Your Prius will get you from A to B, but there is also a lot of stuff it WON'T do in between, that the M series will.

Edited by Unobtanium

The attachment system of the Scalarworks Sync rails is far better than the MI rail. The two hidden captive fasteners look great and prevent the fasteners from walking out.

I found the Scalarworks Aimpoint mounts for the AR series to be better than Larue/ADM/Geissele. I’m sure they’re made in lower volume than the big guys.

The attachment system of the Scalarworks Sync rails is far better than the MI rail. The two hidden captive fasteners look great and prevent the fasteners from walking out.

I found the Scalarworks Aimpoint mounts for the AR series to be better than Larue/ADM/Geissele. I’m sure they’re made in lower volume than the big guys.

My finding is that the scalarworks mounts are good for 5.56 guns, but move too much on .308, etc