Threaded piece in Benelli m4 barrel loose after shooting

Bigboss4198

Yes, that's the choke tube. This wrench is recommended due to the increased leverage (https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/choke-tube-wrenches/choke-tube-speed-wrench-prod1827.aspx)

If you don't want to buy anything you can also clean out the threads on the choke and in the barrel and use some choke grease and then tighten down with the supplied choke wrench.

And just make it a habit to tighten it before use and after cleaning. Or get a mil-spec barrel that doesn't use a removable choke.

Hope this helps

Yes, that's the choke tube. This wrench is recommended due to the increased leverage (https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/choke-tube-wrenches/choke-tube-speed-wrench-prod1827.aspx)

If you don't want to buy anything you can also clean out the threads on the choke and in the barrel and use some choke grease and then tighten down with the supplied choke wrench.

And just make it a habit to tighten it before use and after cleaning. Or get a mil-spec barrel that doesn't use a removable choke.

Hope this helps

I tighten it down with the supplied tool. Guess I’ll make it a habit. What about loctite? And mil spec barrel? The benelli m4s don’t have one from factory?.

I tighten it down with the supplied tool. Guess I’ll make it a habit. What about loctite? And mil spec barrel? The benelli m4s don’t have one from factory?.

The only difference that I know about is that the milspec doesn't have a removable choke. It's made with an integral modified choke in the barrel's design. There are pluses and minuses to each approach. For example I'd have to get my 14" barrel threaded for a choke if I wanted to use a Salvo 12 suppressor on it.

I've read about some posts on other shotgun forums about loctite. I personally wouldn't do it...but if I HAD to I'd use the purple loctite (LOW STRENGTH) and put on a small amount. Just keep in mind you're using an adhesive to put in a relatively thin walled tube that has a small interface for removal into a several hundred dollar barrel. Maybe check with a local gunsmith to see how much they charge for a stuck choke removal first as well... Vibra-tite VC-3 might be a better option to consider.

First benelli yes. And it’s my second semi auto, i have a VEPR 12. But we’ve had mossbergs and other brands as well

Ok, just sounded like it was your first one due to the unfamiliarity with choke tubes. Just make sure to clean out any oil or CLP from the barrel and choke threads and apply anti-seize or choke grease and that should significantly help. I had problems with mine coming loose at first on my 18.5" barrel.

Just FYI I won't shoot some of the more exotic steel slugs though my integral choked barrel as it's a modified type choke. At least with the removable choke barrels you can get a cylinder sized choke and shoot things like ballistic machinist's dumbbell slugs... if you're into such things. And on the other side of things you're more likely to get better patterns at longer ranges out of your modified choke compared to the non-choked (cylinder) mossberg barrels. Like I said...it's a trade off either way.

Ok, just sounded like it was your first one due to the unfamiliarity with choke tubes. Just make sure to clean out any oil or CLP from the barrel and choke threads and apply anti-seize or choke grease and that should significantly help. I had problems with mine coming loose at first on my 18.5" barrel.

Just FYI I won't shoot some of the more exotic steel slugs though my integral choked barrel as it's a modified type choke. At least with the removable choke barrels you can get a cylinder sized choke and shoot things like ballistic machinist's dumbbell slugs... if you're into such things. And on the other side of things you're more likely to get better patterns at longer ranges out of your modified choke compared to the non-choked (cylinder) mossberg barrels. Like I said...it's a trade off either way.

ive had shotguns but I am very unfamiliar with Chokes. Never looked into them or researched etc. I took out the modified choke and it was full of oil, possibly from factory. I’ll apply some anti seize.

And with shooting, I don’t do exotic loads or anything. Just your standard buck shot or slugs from the store.

The chokes I am not familiar. I thought it was just for hunting or something. I checked the choke and it was full of oil. Maybe from the factory since it was my first time shooting it. I cleaned and applied anti seize to it. Tighten with oem tool. But I’m going to buy that tool anyways from brownells.

Also so I don’t shoot any exotic loads. Just buck and slug from your local gun shop.

Habks for the info