M4 SBS Inconsistent Barrel Length

DJX995

I have an M4 with SKU 11724 (14'' SBS).

The barrel sticks out about half an inch past the magazine tube.

Looking online, I can see some models do this but others, with the same SKU, the barrel sits flush with the end of the magazine tube.

Anyone know what's up with this?

Was the barrel changed at some point?

If so, why?

Thanks.

If it came from the factory like that, I would contact Benelli and see about warranty service.

If the barrel was replaced, contact who you bought it from - it's still technically a SBS, but if you bought it as factory it doesn't seem right.

You can have Steve at Rose Action Sports shorten it up properly, baring no other options. He's very reasonably priced and has quick turn around. You only have to ship the barrel.

Thanks guys.

Yes, this is a factory item.

@Unobtanium Are you saying for sure they changed the design?

No, not exactly.

Benelli M4 SBS guns enter the country with 19.75" barrels, and sights welded at the correct placement for a 14" barrel.

Initially, the barrels were simply cut off and the "tips" left "in the white", and heavily chamfered.

Currently, the barrel tips are re-finished to match, and not much of a chamfer is present. Just enough to break the edge and remove any burrs.

It is almost like a different gunsmith performed the same "job", and one of the quirks is that the barrels are now not cut flush with the mag-tube cap. But they are re-finished and not left "in the white", so take your pick...

The change occurred around the time of the polymer trigger guards, as I understand.

Wow, thanks for the inside info!

That's crazy. No consistency and no reason for it.

I'll see if someone can mill down my barrel to the correct length since finding a correct barrel seems to be a crap shoot.

I don't see why they couldn't import just the correct barrels and assemble them here.

Thanks again.

Wow, thanks for the inside info!

That's crazy. No consistency and no reason for it.

I'll see if someone can mill down my barrel to the correct length since finding a correct barrel seems to be a crap shoot.

I don't see why they couldn't import just the correct barrels and assemble them here.

Thanks again.

It is my understanding that our government's import laws prohibits Benelli from importing a SBS but does allow "manufacturing" them here in the US. Benelli imports the longer barrel guns with the sight in the correct location to easily make a short barrel once the guns are here.

11796458_10152887970957447_7571234171509242989_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports for shortening up my barrel properly.

Final product looks great, and he even touched up the finish so it's not bare metal.

I highly recommend Rose Action Sports if anyone else needs this done.

Just so this is documented somewhere, my measurements for a flush fitting barrel:

Barrel should extend no further than:

23/32'' from base of mag tube hanger

3/8'' from base of front sight

Taken with a tape measure but I checked it about three times.

I believe this is where Steve cut my barrel and it looks perfect.

Thanks again!

20180315_172452.jpg

20180315_172522.jpg

Edited by DJX995

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what I need to have done. I did a Form 1 on my standard M4 and ordered just the barrel. When I pulled it out of the box and noticed it was 1/2" longer I was pissed. I started thinking maybe this wasn't a factory barrel that I purchased someone's bad hack job on a standard 18" barrel. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. What's the cost to snip the end off?

Just a quick before and after:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3623[/ATTACH]

That is exactly why I started this thread.

I got a definitive answer and found an awesome gunsmith that fixed my problem.

Cost for Steve at RAS to cut, crown, touch up finish and return ship is $75.

It takes a couple of weeks.

• 3 years later...

@Steve Rose

I know you’d stated that you do not do Custom Benelli work anymore, but do you still offer trueing up of Newer Factory Benelli M4 Entry models? I have one waiting approval on eFile and though I didn’t open it yet, I am almost certain it will have the ant eater looking barrel ? based on my readings. I’m not even worried about re-blueing the cut-n-ream. Thanks 

10 hours ago, KiloEcho6 said:

@Steve Rose

I know you’d stated that you do not do Custom Benelli work anymore, but do you still offer trueing up of Newer Factory Benelli M4 Entry models? I have one waiting approval on eFile and though I didn’t open it yet, I am almost certain it will have the ant eater looking barrel ? based on my readings. I’m not even worried about re-blueing the cut-n-ream. Thanks 

Did I say that? We still do (and have done) quite a bit of Benelli work. Send me a message or email with your wish list.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, KiloEcho6 said:

@Steve Rose

We can shorten and crown those slightly long M4 barrels, we just don't remove/reattach that front sight tower on the Benelli barrels.

• Upvote 1