Anyone have an R1 in .338?

Planetcat

• 1 month later...

Ok, the ouiga board didnt resurrect any spirits on this ghost town of a forum, so i bought myself the R1 in .338 black comfort tech. I like the caliber a lot, as it recoils less than my R1 .300 win mag (wood stock), and Im curious as to how good the comfort tech system is for recoil reduction. The first thing I am going to try is to put my original gen 1 R1 .300 and .30-06 barrels on the comfort tech platform. They are both tack drivers on the walnut stock, but .300 recoil is sharp. Very excited about this experiment. I will post pics when i get it all set up.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thunder90 said:

Got a message from the ouija board to check this forum after a year and low and behold ...

big bore R1 antics are afoot  

Keep us posted! Very interested to hear how that shoots! 

Shoots great using hornady superformance 200 grain sst’s. Copper ammo and 225 grain core-lokts, not so much (see my other post about non-lead ammo). Comfortech is nice with the .338, but still has a whallop. Less recoil than my .300 win mag wood stock R1 for sure.

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, Planetcat said:

Shoots great using hornady superformance 200 grain sst’s. Copper ammo and 225 grain core-lokts, not so much (see my other post about non-lead ammo). Comfortech is nice with the .338, but still has a whallop. Less recoil than my .300 win mag wood stock R1 for sure.

Ok, finally got it dialed in using 210 grain barnes vor-tx ttsx ammo. Shooting sub-moa, so I’m goin to stock up on that ammo. Also, for entertainment purposes, here’s a 150 lb. sow I shot with the .338 R1 at about 150 yards. Back i February. This was using the 200 grain Hornady sst ammo. Needless to say, there was no tracking involved. The shot was clean, quartering away behind the shoulder, so no meat was wasted nor did the overkill bullet obliterate her.

6E829E55-2AA7-46A3-9076-2DB8E239F65E.jpeg

215CB173-64CF-46E4-AE84-CCFD24EFDC41.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Nice sow! Sub moa? Stock up!!! I love barnes vortx ammo - it's actually my go to in most of my rifles if I can make it work.  I plan on using the LRX for an elk hunt in my new weatherby 6.5-300 WBY next month and am hoping for good results with that load/bullet. Interesting to see your R1 likes them- mine hated  trophy copper but I never bought a box of Barnes-- maybe I should dust off the R1 300wsm and try!

Thanks. It’s been a ridiculously expensive trial and error process. The Hornady 185 grain gmx’s aren’t terrible either. The 225 grain barnes and trophy copper are all over the paper. The Hornady’s are really pleasant to shoot, but not as tight groups as the barnes 210. I’m not a small guy or recoil sensitive, but maybe the extra recoil on the 225 grainers are just past my shooting ability.

Two of my hunting buddies just bought Weatherby Mark V’s in 6.5-300. They are getting really accurate results with the Weatherby ammo in 127 grain barnes LRX. An amazing rifle and cartridge. I hate shooting with them, because the boom and concussion from that rifle with the muzzle brake on is horrific. Lol.

• 10 months later...

Great sow...and info....I own so many 338s......from the win mag to rum and the real beast 338-378 wby......talk about muzzle blow back!........You know all 5 of them prefer 210 gr SP Partitions and 200/210 gr ballistic tip ammo.....better for my shoulder.....absolute sledge hammer on game......

8 minutes ago, Gary Suarez said:

Great sow...and info....I own so many 338s......from the win mag to rum and the real beast 338-378 wby......talk about muzzle blow back!........You know all 5 of them prefer 210 gr SP Partitions and 200/210 gr ballistic tip ammo.....better for my shoulder.....absolute sledge hammer on game......I nic named my 338WM Beretta Mato...THOR!