1st shots with new M4 one FTF

jawarren

Got some 3" #4 Remington buck shells and took my new cleaned and oiled gun to range. I was hoping to do some patterning with it but we got so much snow I could not see my target from shooting bench at range.

I decided I would run 7 rounds through it since I was there. I had a failure to feed on the 3rd shot. It ran the rest fine. I was a bit surprised at the failure.

Do you think this is normal for a new M4 with magnum loads?

What model number M4, and were any parts added after you got it/before you got it, that were not 100% Benelli?

What with/how well did you lubricate it before the range?

Can you describe precisely what the failure looked like, say, if you handed me the shotgun at the time of failure, what would I be looking at with regard to the last shell fired, and the shell the malfunction is involving?

It's the M4 h20 LE. It is 100% stock. I lubed the gun well it was pretty wet. It spent the round and ejected well the next round hung up like it would look in you ghost feed the gun. The next round was completely vertical the bolt did not come forward. I pulled back on charging handle and it then feed the round.

It's the M4 h20 LE. It is 100% stock. I lubed the gun well it was pretty wet. It spent the round and ejected well the next round hung up like it would look in you ghost feed the gun. The next round was completely vertical the bolt did not come forward. I pulled back on charging handle and it then feed the round.

The problem is likely the ammunition coupled with the OEM magazine spring and 7-round capacity. You are using very heavy recoiling ammunition (I have fired that loading before), and what is happening, is the inertia of the gun recoiling, VS. the "round stack" in the tube is causing the round stack to remain stationary, while the gun recoils past it, due to the spring not being strong enough to propel the round stack backwards with the weapon and facilitate feeding. This results in timing/feeding issues.

Purchase a replacement magazine spring from www.carriercomp.com, and I am 99.9% sure your issues will go away. www.freedomfightertactical.com also sells a spring that should work, although I prefer the CC spring.

It is my opinion that the OEM magazine spring is under-powered for full-length tube capacity when firing 3" or "magnum" 2.75" ammunition.

Replace the mag spring, and then go from there. It is the cheapest thing you can presently do, and I don't see anything else wrong with your setup or the way you are running it. My M4's, to a one, would run Remington STS 1145fps 1-1/8oz target loads right out of the box lubed up. Sample of about half a dozen.

Edited by Unobtanium

IMG_0229.jpg

Went back to range today and ran 50 rounds of 2 and 3/4" shells with zero malfunctions, So that was good news. But I wanted to ask, when I got home and cleaned the gun I noticed some discoloration near the end of the barrel. What might this be from? This is the NP3 coated H2O model. Thanks

hope the pic is clear!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3619[/ATTACH]

Went back to range today and ran 50 rounds of 2 and 3/4" shells with zero malfunctions, So that was good news. But I wanted to ask, when I got home and cleaned the gun I noticed some discoloration near the end of the barrel. What might this be from? This is the NP3 coated H2O model. Thanks

hope the pic is clear!

I honestly have no clue. It could be anything, really, based on the lack of being able to examine it, lack of data, and ****, you may not even be ABLE to provide the requisite data because you don't know. It could have been something it leaned against somehow somewhere. I'd write it up as similar to that scratch on your forearm that you don't remember suffering. No real way to tell, at this point.

Try rubbing that mark with an oily rag. Sometimes those surface blemishes will rub off of the NP3.

The Np3 guns need to be broken in more than the stock ones in my experience. The plating stacks the tolerances and makes everything a little tighter. Run it wet with oil and burn a couple hundred heavy loads through it.

The mag spring upgrade wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Try rubbing that mark with an oily rag. Sometimes those surface blemishes will rub off of the NP3.

The Np3 guns need to be broken in more than the stock ones in my experience. The plating stacks the tolerances and makes everything a little tighter. Run it wet with oil and burn a couple hundred heavy loads through it.

The mag spring upgrade wouldn’t be a bad idea.

The mag spring may not be his issue, as I don't have a crystal ball, but I have had these exact failures back in 2008 before aftermarket springs were available, shooting similar loadings, once I added a 7-shot tube. It ceased when I used a M1 Police spring, and now we have the CC and FFT.