R1 cycle jamming 30-06

waynefletcher157@gmail.co

I have a brand new R1

(30-06)

. It is great except for 1 small detail:

If I use a FMJ every time it cycles through a round, it jams. But if I use a soft point or a round that is shorter it doesn't jam and works fine.

I took and pressed the FMJ to the same length as the soft points and no more jamming. I measured the FMJ before shortening and they are to length as stated in the nosler reloading manual. All rounds are out of the box and none are reloads.

I called Benelli support, they said to send it back. I hate sending guns in the mail. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks up front.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this thread is such a morgue. I would think the chamber throat would have to be reamed to accept the longer bullets. Are you sure the overall lengths are in specs, and what weight bullets are your fmj's? I highly doubt benelli would fix this problem. I have the R1 in .30-06, .300 winmag, and .338, shoot heavy for caliber factory ammo, and dont have this problem. Also, it sounds like you are reloading. If its military surplus fmj's youre trying to shoot, Ive had issues with the .30 caliber R1's using crappy eastern block stuff.

Thanks for the reply Planetcat. I do reload, but any new gun I get I always run about 500 rounds factory through it before I use any reloads (that gives me brass). I am shooting Fusion & PPU 168 gr fmj's. Their length is 3.340. They both jam after firing, ejecting and jam on the reseat. All my Remington's are soft point, which measure 3.20 and do not jam at all. All my reloads are going thru my ruger American right now. For future reference, what is a better forum to post in. And thanks again. And again. If I take my fmj's to 3.2 overall length, they do not jam.

Thanks for the reply Planetcat. I do reload, but any new gun I get I always run about 500 rounds factory through it before I use any reloads (that gives me brass). I am shooting Fusion & PPU 168 gr fmj's. Their length is 3.340. They both jam after firing, ejecting and jam on the reseat. All my Remington's are soft point, which measure 3.20 and do not jam at all. All my reloads are going thru my ruger American right now. For future reference, what is a better forum to post in. And thanks again. And again. If I take my fmj's to 3.2 overall length, they do not jam.

• 1 year later...

STOP USING REGULAR GAS IN YOUR FERRARI. 
Pull you gas cylinder apart and scrub the hell out of it and the compression rings. Use a good solvent and a soft bronze brush until ALL that black crap is gone. Poke a soft metal pick up the gas port. Loose the crap ammo. EZ on the trigger and get sub moa. 

• 6 months later...

I would agree to hyperclean that chamber and do a chamber length measurement.....all my Sakos have match chambers and won't accept longer cartridge lengths....wonder if Benelli is the same......prevents people from using over pressured ammo....most autos won't accept over spec loads....why Hornady specifically stated in their light magnum loads that not to be used in semi autos.....so beware before you ream......besides reaming your chamber will absolutely void any warranty...

Edited by Gary Suarez

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Recently bought a new Benelli R1 in .308 last summer 2020.

I have shot 200 rounds of factory ammo through this gun.  Winchester, Federal, Hornady and Sig Sauer. 150 165 168 and 180 grain bullets. I haven't found any factory ammo that this gun likes yet. Someone that I know said he could reload for me. 

I'm just now learning how important seating depth is for tighter groups. Does anyone have any loads worked up?(bullet weight and powder charge) including seating depth for theBenelli R1 in .308 as a starting point for this gun.

Thanks.