Any experience with Benelli Ethos Sport?

bug_eyedmonster1

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning to start shooting sporting clays. I ordered the Ethos Sport for her, but have come across very little information on it. I'm wondering if it was a wise purchase... I plan to start off with my duck/goose gun, which is a SBEII, and if it goes well, maybe I'll get something more fitting. Hope to hear of some firsthand experiences!

Jerry

I have the Ethos 20 ga, not the sport version, and love using it on my annual pilgrimage to SoDak for pheasant. The gun is very light which is much appreciated hen walking creeks and Mike long crop fields.

Plus, the Etohos in satin grade is the perfect accessory for any of your wife's outfits.

i see the Sport version has a raised rib and a ported barrel.

The Ethos sport should perform like a Benelli and serve your wife well.

Your SBE should bust clays just fine and be good practice, just use ammo with enough "ummph" to cycle the action. The economy stuff on the shelf may not work.

I have the Ethos 20 ga, not the sport version, and love using it on my annual pilgrimage to SoDak for pheasant. The gun is very light which is much appreciated hen walking creeks and Mike long crop fields.

Plus, the Etohos in satin grade is the perfect accessory for any of your wife's outfits.

i see the Sport version has a raised rib and a ported barrel.

The Ethos sport should perform like a Benelli and serve your wife well.

Your SBE should bust clays just fine and be good practice, just use ammo with enough "ummph" to cycle the action. The economy stuff on the shelf may not work.

Yeah, we are just waiting for the Ethos Sport to show up. She's been waiting rather patiently, I must say. As for my SBEII, I have never had a problem cycling the bulk econ shells before. I've used it for trap as a warm up for prior duck/goose seasons and never had problems. I clean it annually, usually before hunting begins, right after practicing with it. Gun just flat out works. I've been asked by friends if I planned to upgrade to the SBEIII, and my usual answer is "I'll get a new one when this breaks" which might take a while.

Jerry

• 2 months later...
Hi All,

My wife and I are planning to start shooting sporting clays. I ordered the Ethos Sport for her, but have come across very little information on it. I'm wondering if it was a wise purchase... I plan to start off with my duck/goose gun, which is a SBEII, and if it goes well, maybe I'll get something more fitting. Hope to hear of some firsthand experiences!

Jerry

Anything to add to your experience with the Ethos Sport, since posting the original question back in June? I have one sitting at the LGS waiting for me to pick up...

Only negative I've heard about so far is the rib and it's single mounting screw (?) coming loose.

K.

Anything to add to your experience with the Ethos Sport, since posting the original question back in June? I have one sitting at the LGS waiting for me to pick up...

Only negative I've heard about so far is the rib and it's single mounting screw (?) coming loose.

K.

Nope, I'm still waiting for mine to show up. According to the Benelli rep, it should be here within the next month. My wife is a little bummed since she hoped we should shoot some sporting clays over the summertime, but there's always the rest of the year to enjoy it here.

Jerry

Nope, I'm still waiting for mine to show up. According to the Benelli rep, it should be here within the next month. My wife is a little bummed since she hoped we should shoot some sporting clays over the summertime, but there's always the rest of the year to enjoy it here.

Jerry

I picked up mine from the LGS this past Saturday. It's a good looking shotgun, but is definitely a lightweight, even compared to my M2. It will be interesting to see how the recoil impulse feels over a round of sporting clays. Hopefully you're able to get yours soon!

K.

K.,

Interesting enough, it looks like mine has hit the FFL over the weekend. Unfortunately, with deer season ending, I am making a push to get my tag filled, which means the Ethos Sport waiting for me has to wait. I'll try to head out and get the paperwork/waiting period started as soon as I can. My wife is more interested in getting this to the trap/sporting clays range than my deer hunting in terms of priority. :D

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

Finally was able to pick up my wife's shotgun over the weekend. She's happy with it overall, especially the weight, but would like to shorten the stock if that's even possible. Her trap gun was shortened by about 3/4", but I think we can get away with much less with the Ethos. I wonder if that's even a possibility.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

I have a 12ga 828 U o/u that came with the same stock and "progressive comfort" recoil system.

I was not impressed with the performance of recoil system and took it to my gunsmith and had the the pitch angle changed to my "standard" angle and the stock shortened to give me the correct LOP when I added my usual "Kickeez" magnum recoil pad. I could not hit a thing until I changed the pitch and the Kickeez is, at least to me, noticeably superior to the "Progressive comfort". I do not think you can alter the lop of the existing stock and keep the "Progressive comfort" but they/Benelli have one choice to shorten and that involves a new expensive butt stock to maintain the "progressive comfort" system. I am very happy with the results and had the same thing done right away to my 2nd 828 U.

Edited by WISPR