Benelli M4 Chokes???

jerhelo

I know the M4 comes with a modified choke which from what Benelli and others on here say is fine with rifled slugs.

My question has anyone had any time behind a Improved Cylinder choke while shooting slugs with the M4??? How did it affect your accuracy etc etc???

Did yours come with an IC?

I just picked up this M4 last week, fired the first 30 rounds Saturday.

Ran the stock MODIFIED choke that came in the gun and shot Winchester Low Recoil rifled slugs. Honestly the gun did not like it much, didn't fully cycle a few rounds for the first few tubes. I just chocked it up to being low recoil slugs and a new gun.

I did order a IC choke last night to try out. I talked with StrangerDanger about slugs with a modified choke at length, cool guy. Im just not accustomed to running slugs with a modified, honestly was worried about damaging the firearm. Not sure why Benelli doesn't ship it with a IC. According to Benelli USA, they don't understand it either and say you should still get good accuracy out of the modified and can safely shoot rifled slugs but they recommend a IC for slugs. They also state that thats the way they have imported M4's since they started building them.

Ran the stock MODIFIED choke that came in the gun and shot Winchester Low Recoil rifled slugs. Honestly the gun did not like it much, didn't fully cycle a few rounds for the first few tubes. I just chocked it up to being low recoil slugs and a new gun.

I did order a IC choke last night to try out. I talked with StrangerDanger about slugs with a modified choke at length, cool guy. Im just not accustomed to running slugs with a modified, honestly was worried about damaging the firearm. Not sure why Benelli doesn't ship it with a IC. According to Benelli USA, they don't understand it either and say you should still get good accuracy out of the modified and can safely shoot rifled slugs but they recommend a IC for slugs. They also state that thats the way they have imported M4's since they started building them.

Where did you get your IC choke? Have a link? I need to get one for mine as well.

My gun came with a 3-notch choke which is a modified. I did not try any accuracy checks with the gun until I put in the IC choke.

Benelli does not recommend any choke tighter than an IC for rifled slugs.https://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/faq

I actually read somewhere that a cylinder choke is what should be used for rifled slugs- Not anything tighter. Somewhere you read one thing another place you read something conflicting with that.

I put in a cylinder choke but, have not taken it to the range yet to compare the two chokes with the same ammo.

I have never had anything but flawless functioning with any ammo I have used. The lowest "stated" velocity on the ammo Iv'e used is 1300 FPS. The Federal LE 127 RS hyrdra-Shok. Never tried any of the 1145 fps stuff.

Edited by Evolution

I know what they post on their page but if you call Benelli they even tell you modified is fine with rifled slugs but they suggest improved cylinder because of accuracy. He said they have always come with modified chokes since they were developed and even the MIL issued ones are modified.

I just wondered if anyone had any better luck. Which IC choke tube did you buy?

I know what they post on their page but if you call Benelli they even tell you modified is fine with rifled slugs but they suggest improved cylinder because of accuracy. He said they have always come with modified chokes since they were developed and even the MIL issued ones are modified.

I just wondered if anyone had any better luck. Which IC choke tube did you buy?

Yeah...what they say but, might it not be because the barrels that don't have removable chokes like the 14" and M1014 barrels are modified choke?

I don't know or really care, I just go off what they state on that link I posted. I'm sure that I'll never use a modified choke in my gun.

If I see a substantial drop in accuracy from the IC to the cylinder, I'll prob. just go back to the IC.

I bought the trulock chokes from Brownells. Maybe it was Midway;https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2243144408/benelli-choke-tube-benelli-except-crio-12-gauge

Edited by Evolution

Benelli states slugs should not be shot in a choke tighter than IC. The shotgun ships with a modified, which is tighter than that. I know people have shot slugs through the modified choke and I have not heard of any issues. A modified will deform the slug slightly and that could cause a lot of stress on the choke and end of barrel.

I use a Light Modified in 3-gun almost exclusively. It is right between an IC and Modified. I have shot many slugs through it and have not had any issues. The LM is a good compromise between ability to shoot slugs when needed, and the ability to knock over a plate at 20 to 25 yards with 7-1/2 shot if needed.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Mike. I ordered a few chokes last night, the Cylinder and the Improved Cylinder Choke. Ill look around for a LM as well.

I know it sounds stupid but i sort of want to just find one choke that works for all, don't really feel like switching them out often between shells.

That being said, after shooting my friends Salvo, now im looking at a suppressor seriously for it. lol

thanks for the reply.

• 2 years later...

Great result with Carlson (choke tube) Beretta Benelli Mobil Tactical Muzzle Brake Item #84030 Cylinder, Diameter: .725

The Cylinder constriction may be used with ALL shot shells including Lead, Steel, Hevi-Shot, and even slugs! 

More than 300 shells fired, 2-3/4 from 1200FPS-1600FPS not one failed.

IMG_2017.thumb.jpg.2d6586f3e12aae5bb489397fdb4b6300.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 12:41 AM, hiend said:

Great result with Carlson (choke tube) Beretta Benelli Mobil Tactical Muzzle Brake Item #84030 Cylinder, Diameter: .725

The Cylinder constriction may be used with ALL shot shells including Lead, Steel, Hevi-Shot, and even slugs! 

More than 300 shells fired, 2-3/4 from 1200FPS-1600FPS not one failed.

IMG_2017.thumb.jpg.2d6586f3e12aae5bb489397fdb4b6300.jpg

Great to know. My M4 (11715 LE) is due in this Friday.

I ordered the same choke based on a lot of searching and calls but that Carlson number is for the C with no teeth, so it’s not the same in the picture. That’s the 85006. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005265674?pid=378169&utm_medium=email&utm_source=service&utm_campaign=shipping-confirmation&utm_content=product-shipped-today-product-description-link

Carlson told me the 84030 is the best for recoil. Ordered this after I ordered the Carlson 85006 IC based on my first call to them. We’ll see what works best. New to the M4.

Hoping to put rifled slugs, 00 Buck, Target loads through it with one choke.

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 9:43 PM, GFizz said:

Great to know. My M4 (11715 LE) is due in this Friday.

I ordered the same choke based on a lot of searching and calls but that Carlson number is for the C with no teeth, so it’s not the same in the picture. That’s the 85006. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005265674?pid=378169&utm_medium=email&utm_source=service&utm_campaign=shipping-confirmation&utm_content=product-shipped-today-product-description-link

Carlson told me the 84030 is the best for recoil. Ordered this after I ordered the Carlson 85006 IC based on my first call to them. We’ll see what works best. New to the M4.

Hoping to put rifled slugs, 00 Buck, Target loads through it with one choke.

Absolutely great recoil you may shoot easy 75-100 rounds (Slugs, 00 buckshot) 1600 fps with the very comfortable result.

Benelli M1014 has fixed Modified choke. I can't imagine that our marines and SWAT teams don't shoot any slug at all. I shot many rounds of slugs through my M4 with the stoke Modified choke. It was ok. But, for the peace of mind, I changed my M4 to Cylinder choke. It also matched my Mossberg 590A1 (fixed C choke) and my Beretta 1301 (which came with C and IC chokes). 

7 hours ago, les_garten said:

It does look interesting, anybody know the approx weights on these?

Carlson Brake NO TEETH

I got one with teeth because I read a retired judge say his years on the bench taught him a shotgun was the most fought over home defense weapon, which makes sense. Who ever grabs the end of my gun is going to feel the teeth.

10 minutes ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

I got one with teeth because I read a retired judge say his years on the bench taught him a shotgun was the most fought over home defense weapon, which makes sense. Who ever grabs the end of my gun is going to feel the teeth.

Ok, ya convinced me!   I'll get one with Teeth and paint a Shark's mouth on it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1