I'm new and have a few quesitons...

Joel zimmerman

I just recently got into skeet, duck/pheasant hunting with my friend dave, along with my dad. I was using my dads model 11 shotgun for both this year, using Kent Tungsten Impact Matrix ammo so i wouldn't damage his barrel. I got a Benelli Monteferto Grade II for my christmas present this year. However, I have not received my gun yet, because it is on back order. Anyways, i had a few questions reguarding guns, and chokes, and just overall stuff.

What does it come shipped in?

Does it come with a Benelli hard case or do i need to buy one?

I was a little eary of shooting steel through my gun. I have done some reasearch on chokes and for "Extended" chokes, it says it prevents damage to your barrel? Will the standard chokes that come with my gun, hurt my barrel after shooting alot of steel? Would it be worth getting extended ones, i don't even know if they make a difference. I don't really know what chokes are good for what, nor much about the shells that go along with them. I was planning on patterning my gun and picking out ammo for Skeet/Ducks/Geese/Pheasant, so any suggestios are WELCOME.

I don't know much about guns and i want to keep my gun in nice shape, properly cared for and everything. I was going to get one of those Silicone socks to put it in, and a hard case. Was wondering if anyone else had suggestions.

I wanted to break it in, but was unsure of how to do it. I was planning on shooting clays when i first get it. However, i was unsure of what to shoot, or if i should just use target loads.

I was also wondering what exactly i should do to keep my gun clean and working properly. Not sure exactly what oil to use, do i oil my stock, the receiver, what? I bought a rope brush with brass cleaners in the middle which i was going to use to clean my barrel with. Is that correct? How do i keep my barrel from rusting? Do i clean and oil my gun everytime i shoot it?

Well that's all the questions i could think of at the moment, i'm sure i'll get more in the future smile.gif . You don't have to answer my questions specifically, i am just looking for General advice for a novice.

A Anxious New Benelli Owner

- Joel

What does it come shipped in?

Benelli hard case.

Will the standard chokes that come with my gun, hurt my barrel after shooting alot of steel?

No. Just use the tubes recommended for steel shot (modified or wider).

I was going to get one of those Silicone socks to put it in. Don't. Just keep it in the hard case or a gun safe. Keep it in a low humidity environment and keep the metal surfaces clean and LIGHTLY oiled.

I wanted to break it in

Use loads which meet or exceed the recommended minimum. About 2 boxes of heavy loads or 4 boxes of standard loads AA, will do it.

I was also wondering what exactly i should do to keep my gun clean and working properly. Not sure exactly what oil to use, do i oil my stock, the receiver, what? DO NOT oil the stock. Use a quality furniture cleaner or lemon oil, wiping dry and clean.

For the metal surfaces, use a quality oil like the one supplied with the gun. Hoppes Elite is also very good and will do no harm to the blued or nickle finishes.

Always apply oil sparingly and wipe away excess. Never leave her dripping (this goes for guns too :D ).

I bought a rope brush (bore snake) with brass cleaners in the middle which i was going to use to clean my barrel with. Is that correct? Yes, the bore snake will do a good job. You should also purchase a good quality shotgun cleaning kit.

How do i keep my barrel from rusting? Apply a light coat of oil to the interior and exterior surfaces after cleaning.

Do i clean and oil my gun everytime i shoot it? Absolutely! Do that and she'll be new for a long, long time.

Well that's all the questions i could think of at the moment, i'm sure i'll get more in the future smile.gif Whew!

A Anxious New Benelli Owner Anxious and eager are two different things ;)

I am indeed anxious for my gun to arrive, and eager to learn everything about it smile.gif

What exactly are AA, and "Heavy" Shells?

If i can't use full choke for steel, what would i use full choke for? Actually, what do i use all the chokes for? haha

I was also wondering how i apply the oil to the inside of my barrel?

What would i be looking for in one of these cleaning kits?

Thanks Again

- Joel

Winchester AA Shotshells

Heavy loads would be loads which exceed the recommended minimum, or high velocity loads.

You would use the full choke for all non-steel shot. Lead, tungsten, bismuth, tungsten-iron, depleted uranium, etc.

Oiling the inside of the barrel would be accomplished by applying a few drops of oil to the bore snake or a clean patch and running it through the barrel. This would be easier than trying to squueze the bottle through the opening.

The first thing you need to look for in a cleaning kit is the instructions.

Aluminum or synthetic rods, bronze or aluminum brushes, patches, small parts brush, solvent, oil.

You should spend some serious time with a friend or mentor who knows how disassemble, clean, and re-assemble a shotgun.

Otherwise, I've got a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot from you.

Yeah, i know quite a few people who can help me. I was asking questions here because i thought you guys would know best about benelli shotguns.

I have one last question which is about extended chokes.

Couldn't i use a Full Extended Choke for steel because the steel has more of a time/compression ratio and wouldn't bunch up as much? Me and my friend dave usually go for geese alot and i don't think i can hit them with a modified choke.

Thanks again for all your help tucker, it's really appreciated.

- Joel

Steel shot tends to pattern tighter than lead. In other words, through a modified choke it will pattern like lead through a full. Likewise with an improved cylinder it will come out like lead through a modified. Never shoot steel shot through a choke that isn't specifically designed for it. Steel will eventually if not immediately damage the choke or barrel if you do.

• 2 months later...