buckshot/slug ?????

pdiddy

i was wondering what was the best choke for using 00 buckshot or if it was a good idea to do so or best to go with a smaller size shot of buckshot before trying it out and also i have a smooth bore s/n what would be a good choice of slug for use with it without a rifled barrel or would it hurt the barrel in any way not being rifled icon5.gif

thanks for any help and any comments

i was wondering what was the best choke for using 00 buckshot or if it was a good idea to do so or best to go with a smaller size shot of buckshot before trying it out and also i have a smooth bore s/n what would be a good choice of slug for use with it without a rifled barrel or would it hurt the barrel in any way not being rifled icon5.gif

thanks for any help and any comments

Most all L.E. shotguns are cylinder bore (a few may use Improved cylinder) for using both "oo" buck shot and slugs. For home defense, I'd use #4 buck, much more "bang for the Buck".

Rifled slugs won't hurt a smoothbore barrel. If you have interchangable chokes in the barrel, you may want to try a "rifled" choke, much cheaper than a "rifled" barrel, and just about as accurate. Sabot slugs are super in the accuracy department also, but more expensive.

Rifled slugs were designed specifically for smoothbore barrels. Sabot slugs are designed for rifled barrels. Sabots may be used in both smooth and rifled barrel but perform much better in a rifled barrel. A rifled slug's max effective ranged is around 50-60 yards. You can drop a deer from a range of up to 150 yards with a sabot slug out of a rifled barrel.

-What this means is, if you are hunting in thick brush you will be fine with a rifled slug out of a smoothbore. My reason for saying this is , you might not ever see a shot beyond 50 in the thick of the woods.

-If you are hunting on more so a flatland/prairie, go with a sabot slug through a rifled barrel. Much more accurate at up to 150 yards.

-Just remember. Sabot = longer distance, better accuracy. Rifled = accuracy at 60 yards and under. Anything over 60 yards and it will topple and be innacurate.

Rifled slugs were designed specifically for smoothbore barrels. Sabot slugs are designed for rifled barrels. Sabots may be used in both smooth and rifled barrel but perform much better in a rifled barrel. A rifled slug's max effective ranged is around 50-60 yards. You can drop a deer from a range of up to 150 yards with a sabot slug out of a rifled barrel.

-What this means is, if you are hunting in thick brush you will be fine with a rifled slug out of a smoothbore. My reason for saying this is , you might not ever see a shot beyond 50 in the thick of the woods.

-If you are hunting on more so a flatland/prairie, go with a sabot slug through a rifled barrel. Much more accurate at up to 150 yards.

-Just remember. Sabot = longer distance, better accuracy. Rifled = accuracy at 60 yards and under. Anything over 60 yards and it will topple and be innacurate.

Can you verify/support this with evidence?

I have shot out to 100 yards offhand with my M4 and while I didn't hit the target every time, when I did, the slug was obviously oriented correctly based on the rifling marks left around the hole smeared on the paper. Unless it was 100% base or front first, that is the only way it could leave those marks, and base-first is about impossible aerodynamically.

Was this a fluke? I would like to see support for your statement in the form of testing or documentation of testing.

what would be the best choke to use with a rifled slug mod. or ic are what was ya'lls best results with 3" or 3 1/2"

another ? on the s/n how can i make the slide or pump action on it easy to slide........ with the set screws on both sides of it??? it is allful tight to move it when not beening shot