Ever consider a Remington or Mossberg?

shotgunNoob

Keep in mind, I have been drinking a bit and am somewhat bored. Hence, this worthless post. However, based on my experience(s) with my new supernova tactical, these things are on my mind. For any of you thinking about buying one of these shotguns..think twice!! Not because they are junk, based on my limited experience with shottys, but because they are too damn hard to accessorize! This doesnt seem quite as true with the "M" series Benellis, but it is still a problem.

Most gunsmiths seems to be intimately familiar with only two brands of shotguns...Remington and Mossberg. And, once again, all sorts of "ninja" accessories are easily available for brands other than Benelli. I wish I had known this or had at least considered it. You should too...

Now, I think my supernova tactical is SWEET. But, then again, this is my first shotgun...ever. I have yet to test its durability and reliability. These issues remain to be seen.

If you must own a Benelli, I guess you should save up and get one of the prestigious "M" series special purpose guns. Most places I have seen seem to cater to these more than any other Benelli sold. Im guessing its a military/police issue. Either way, something to consider when purchasing your next or first shotgun.

BTW- In terms of Remington, from what I understand, its best to go with the 870 police or marine magnum. Possibly the 870 XCS as well. For the Mossberg..the military style configurations.

I welcome any thoughts regarding the comparison of these models vs the supernova tactical. I certainly dont mind "being informed" or hit with constructive criticism. And for those of you lucky enough to own one of the "M" series Benellis, please refrain from commenting. You own a state-of-the-art weapon..this I already know.

First of all, I think you bought the best gun period. The gun is a tank. You can run anything though it and it will blast it out.

Second, The nova is a 3 1/2. I think all police 870's and mossbergs are 3 inch.

Third, what are you using it for? I've never needed more rounds than the gun can handle stock so??? I know acc. are a problem. My nova is stock. I bought a 25 shell belt that I will put over my shoulder if I need it in HD. You can buy 5 shell nylon stock holders for 5 bucks at walmart. Do they look cool? not really, but they work.

Fourth, you type pretty good for drinking!!!

novaking

First opnions are just that, everyone wil have their own, so be it guns, cars, woman..... that being said, I am probally going to get flamed for saying this, but my first shotgun was 870express. Now 17 years later it is still a tank, never had a issue of any sort. I now own 3 other 870s, a M590A1, and M4. Had a nova, felt like a toy, and had issues out the box with chambering 2 3/4" rounds. I know lemons exist (mostly in VWs), so I sold it and never looked back, true it can shot 3.5" but who does? Really... very few. There are 870s that can shoot 3.5" as well but the magnums are just 3" receivers/ barrels, but this is good since you do not need to work the action as far on the 3" compared to the 3.5. If I have to take a shotgun with me incase the end of the world or a home invasion, it will be the 870P pictured below. However, one of the ARs and CX4 (for the girl) stays loaded for this case. Over penetration is a mute point since all bullets will go thru a few walls, recoil is much better on these 2, they are shorter, and I am comfortable with either and the girl really likes the CX4.

The Benelli M4 however is one of 3 shotguns I have ever said that I "WANT", have 2 of the 3 the 3rd is a AOW but maybe soon.

The bottom (870P) is my newest and most favorite to date.

HSshotties2.JPG

what_they_are.JPG

I am probally going to get flamed for saying this, but my first shotgun was 870express. Now 17 years later it is still a tank, never had a issue of any sort. I now own 3 other 870s, a M590A1, and M4. Had a nova, felt like a toy, and had issues out the box with chambering 2 3/4" rounds. I know lemons exist (mostly in VWs), so I sold it and never looked back, true it can shot 3.5" but who does? Really... very few. There are 870s that can shoot 3.5" as well but the magnums are just 3" receivers/ barrels, but this is good since you do not need to work the action as far on the 3" compared to the 3.5. If I have to take a shotgun with me incase the end of the world or a home invasion, it will be the 870P pictured below. However, one of the ARs and CX4 (for the girl) stays loaded for this case. Over penetration is a mute point since all bullets will go thru a few walls, recoil is much better on these 2, they are shorter, and I am comfortable with either and the girl really likes the CX4.

The Benelli M4 however is one of 3 shotguns I have ever said that I "WANT", have 2 of the 3 the 3rd is a AOW but maybe soon.

The bottom (870P) is my newest and most favorite to date.

HSshotties2.JPG

what_they_are.JPG

Thoughs are nice. I don't have any guns that look like that. Most people don't. Most people have "hunting" type shotguns which means that they only have hunting type ammo around. What if I have only 3 1/2 turkey loads in my house if someone comes in. Thats what I mean. I don't want to shoot 3 1/2 ether.

I don't have a problem with 870's. I grew up with one. And the acc. are endless, easy to find and cheaper than the Nova So you have my there.

"Had a nova, felt like a toy, and had issues out the box with chambering 2 3/4" rounds".

I have heard this before. However, I am speaking of the SuperNova. So far, it eats 2 3/4 rounds as if they were nothing. Im assuming you werent "short stroking" the fore-end? Of course, I have no experience with other shotguns, so...Either way, if a shotty looks good, functions well and is hella reliable (not accounting for short stroking or poor maintenance), then what more could one ask for? Once I get my rig all together, I will try to post pics. Although, I cant for the life of me figure out how to upload quality pics to this forum. Regardless, whether its a Remington, Mossy, or Benelli 12g..if someone enters your home un-invited, you have in your possession a very real "cause for concern" on the criminals behalf!! Take care of your shotgun and I believe it may someday take care of you. If not..then go for your pistol!!!

The Remington 870 Marine Magnums are supposed to be quite nice and highly reliable. I know someone who has a Mossberg 590 with the bayonet lug, full length tube, heat shield, etc. It's a really cool gun. :)

Any one of these should be great choices, just pick what you like. I went for what I think is the best, Benelli M1 Super 90 Defense. :)

NS guns there spool...overkill to say the least, but nice. In comparison, my SuperNova tactical has the "pistol grip" stock, MesaTactical sidesaddle (for now), ghost ring sights, a Nordic Components +2 mag extension tube and soon to follow, an Insight tactical light and tritium night sights. This is all wrapped up in "bad ass" black. Now, my gun may seem like a "toy" to some, but it will blow holes as good as any 12g out there!! This is all backed up by a Sig Sauer P220 w/laser sighting.

Nova, like I mentioned before opnions are just that and hope I didnt step on your toes. As for the Nova it was a 26" ribbed with bead. I do own 4 870s, and 2 are long barrels, 2 are short. I understand anyone can get a bad gun to change ones mind on something.

The CX4 was kind of a good price and deal but it was better timing. Someone at a local shop ordered it with a few accessories (top bottom and side rails, the VFG, hard case, and sling)When to go pick it up and didnt like it, and refused to pay, after 10 months of it sitting around I stopped by and seen it. Found out the price and it went home with me. $515 with everything. Converted to from 96 to PX4 configurations.. $30, added the morese lekker shroud (It fills a ugly gap when the light was mounted) $45, TLR1 @$90, EOtech 552 $189 (work for L3 get 1 per calander year at discount). It has well over 3000 working on 4000 round thru it and only one FTFeed, the case had a small dent and I said, well lets see what she does with it, it hung on the mag lip. Accurate to 100 yard easy, At 50 I will make 1 ragged 4" hole with 4 17 rd mags.

The trigger did stink at first and within 1000 rounds it was much better, the sights stink, they are like the ARs sights with a LR and SR peep, but they are the same size which is SMALL. The eotech fixed it. There is little that can be done to the trigger other than trimming it with a exacto blade, but if you screw up you are now screwed. The hammer, trigger ect are all plastic, but I have never seen nor heard of one breaking. A few years (about 3) they had issues, the buffer spring assy, had a bad batch. But Mine was great and has been, I bought a spare to be on the safe side since I am that way, I could easily build a AR with spare parts including receivers.

The M590A1 is really sweet as well. But I added a Vangs oversized safety and just got done adding geat sectors 2point slings to the 590 and the M4, then added a GGG HK clip adapter to the 590 for a single point sling.

As for the sporting/ military thing, my collection is very very black. Figured I would grab what I could due to unknown futures. 5 black shotties, 9 ARs, and a few misc, its about done. Still want a serbu 870, and a custom "tactical" leveraction 30/30. The Gearsector sling are top notch if anyone is wondering, just wish GGG would finish the single point M$ mount (hopefully in HK ring like the 870 and 590 have).

slings2.JPG

Hey Spoolup...may I ask where you acquired your Remington 870 Police? This will, more than likely, be my next shotgun purchase. However, Im not sure if these shotguns are available to the general public or if I need to have one of my police officer buds hook me up w/ one. Any suggestions? Oh, and what do these generally cost and how would I go about getting ghost ring sights on one of these? I have heard the Remington ghost ring sights are substandard....not sure. Thanks.

To buy, either find used at a local shop/ pawn shop (picked one up there before) or find a shop that will order it for you. I placed my order at impact guns since they are local to me late 2005 early 2006 for the one pictured. Bad news, I paid in full. Took many months to arrive. While I waiting for it to come in I kept watching the site as they increased the cost of the firearm more than $100, think it was closer to 150 if I remember right. They gave it to me when they called to say it was in no hassles or extra money, but I heard differnt when they were doing the FN packages PS90/five7even.... it was on their forums for a while. Think I paid almost 600 even for it. Its model 4449 that I added a "take off" extension from a guy on the AR15 forums for $40, the surefire light and thats it. The 4449 and Pmax both come with the ghost ring "XS sights" but they are not he 24.7 XS sights, which would make the trinium. I called XS and asked if I could purchase just the front to replace it and they said only sell sets? At a extra 100. So I kept them how they came. Really nothing special about the police other than QA and build procedures, and a few better parts.