Anyone help with de-resonators for 30-06?

PutEmDown

I am new to the R1. I have not been able to get consistent groups with it and am discouraged. I have learned to clean them pretty often but that did not seem to help yesterday. I am wondering if the Limbsaver de-resonator is helping or hurting. Can anyone give input if I should even have it on the gun? Also, does anyone know if the R1 is a fixed or floating barrel? Apparantly it makes a difference on where the de-resonator goes. Thanks in advance for any help. Just trying to get the best I can out of my $1500 gun. Unfortunately I am pretty new to the whole gun and hunting scene but I do love it. Also, I have mounted a Swarovski 6-18x50 scope with BR reticle.

I tried one and only noticed that it caused rust to form between it and the barrel, I saw no improvement with it. Make sure you clean the gas piston and where it goes together and be sure to tighten the barrel retaining nut all the way down every time you take it apart.

Happy Shooting

Steve

The barrel is not free floating. I have had good luck with std Win power point ammo. If you are sighting in, remember to let the barrel cool between shots. The R1 has a light contour barrel, if you're trying to shoot for accuracy you need to let the barrel cool between shots. An "old pro" once told me, "If the barrel's too hot to hold, it's too hot to shoot."

Lots of things can cause poor grouping and it's usually not the gun itself unless it's old AND worn out.

Sometimes new guns won't group well until they've have 100 rounds, give or take, through them.

It can be the brand of ammo or just the particualy bullet weight or design within a given brand.

Be sure all the screws are tight on both the gun and scope mount/rings.

Were the rings properly aligned before the scope was mounted. Unfortunately there are lots of gun counter kids out there whos expertise stops at just knowing how to turn a screwdriver.

And last but definately not least, is the shooter. No offense intended but you said you were new to the gun so maybe you're relatively new to shooting as well.

Being consistant at the bench is pretty important. Stay in one position throughout a group. Don't move the gun off the rest and don't get up and walk around. Sit there and relax a little between shots. Try not to stare through the scope too long. One rule of thumb is you have 6 seconds of looking through the scope before you start playing tricks on yourself. If you haven't already, get with an experienced shooter. Have them watch you shoot and also see if they have the same problems with your gun.

And like oldboots said. Let it cool down a little between shots and even longer between groups. The best way to do that is to get a couple more rifles so you have something to do while one is cooling off. :)

I wouldn't worry about things like the deresonator until you can get consistanty good groups without it. Once you're there it MIGHT make a good group better.

I attribute the R1's "poor" grouping to several factors which work against repeatable accuracy.

1. heavy trigger pull

2. non-free-floating barrel

3. unrepeatable barrel to receiver torque

4. pencil-like barrels

The only one of these you can really do anything about is number 1.

The rest are designed into the gun.

In Benelli's defense, the R1 isn't meant to be a MOA shooter. It's a short range repeater.

i just bought the benelli r1 despite all the negative comments, this is an amazing gun, its light, well built, and the key feature the comfort tech. when i took my r1 out to the range to site it in i brought multiple types of ammunition, from ballistic tips to the 150 grain reloaded bullets. after i fired 5 rounds i cleaned the barrel and let the gun cool. i noticed that all of the factory bullets i bought did not group well but the reloaded bullets were grouping the size of a quarter at 100 yards. i think the best way to go is to refill your own bullets. they are more accurate then the factory bullets.

• 8 months later...
I tried one and only noticed that it caused rust to form between it and the barrel, I saw no improvement with it. Make sure you clean the gas piston and where it goes together and be sure to tighten the barrel retaining nut all the way down every time you take it apart.

Happy Shooting

Steve

Do you actually take the piston appart when you clean it? I do tighten the nut until it stops but I keep the fore end a little looser so that the mag still drops out. I don't think the fore end effects my shooting at all.