The Famous "click"

goose2

What is everyones take on why this happens. Is there a chance that a certain shell could cause it? Where do you guys lube them to stop this from happening. I was at the range the other day and mine went click with the same shell 3 times. Just looking for some impute so this does not happen again. Some photo's would be nice on where to lube.thanks all

I believe it is the battery thing. I did notice when I let it slam shut pointing the gun up is when it done it. When I pointed the gun down it was fine. That tells me there is some hesitation when holding the gun up. The gun has about a box through it. I have cleaned every part on it except the spring in the stock. Could this be part of the problem?

No.

I think you just need to get used to the ways of a Benelli.

Check the bolt and ejector position when the bolt is fully closed and get used to how it looks.

If it isn't fully closed and rotated, pull it back about two inches and let it go.

Either that or tap the handle with the heel of your hand and use it as a forward assist.

I learned about the click years ago. You have to be aware not to baby the bolt when closing it. Let it go home under full power. When I was hunting, I found if I bumped the gun down hard on the butt, the bolt would bump out of battery. Also, DON'T play with the bolt when you're not shooting. You can unknowingly move it out of battery and you will get the click.

Like Tucker301 said, look at the bolt when it is in battery and what it looks like out of battery. You will see the difference when the bolt is properly locked. You just need to get used to the new gun and how it works. Shoot it a bunch.

I learned my M-1 Super 90 liked to be lightly greased in the bolt rails inside the receiver. After I did that, the gun went through the duck season with less problems.

Those have been the couple of things to watch out for. You just have to be aware of them

Good luck.

new gun? or the one you thought you fixed a while back?:D is this issue so famous it needs to be addressed annually? Mr noitall hehe!!
This is a new gun. The one I had last year is as good as it gets. For some reason this one just started to do it with these certain brand of shells. Hopefully it will get worked out and be as good as the other one old wise hog.:rolleyes:

Hog, The shells were 2 3/4 Federal steel loads. Defiantly not a secret.

All the times it done it the bolt was locked back, then a shell inserted, then the button pushed. The bolt was let to slam shut. I still wonder if the bolt is slamming so hard it is bouncing back out of battery.

I sometimes wonder if the "hardness" of the primer has something to do with it. I had trouble with my SBE2 last winter FTF when using Fiochhi Gold Pheasant ammo. It was very cold (5-10 degrees F) but I lube my firearms with Breakfree CLP and haven't had other weather related problems.

I would send it back to Benelli for evaluation cause it's not supposed to come outta battery once ya let it slam IN! I bet they will wanta see your gun, i know you did not wanta hear that, but i would get it looked at. Are you using a good amount of lube at the back end of the receiver where the bolt group link hits the rear of receiver? it needs a good bit of grease where it hits the back end! I also lightly grease the tracks where the lower portion of the bolt group slide in. Not oil, Lube as in grease! I think you just need to run a few more boxes thru it to get it loosened up a bit! and maybe add some more lube in critical areas? I never load manual and let bolt slam on shell! i lock bolt back then hit release then load a shell then rack one in and i let it slam in when i am at full back position with shell locked in locking head assy! if ya touch the bolt handle it will cause FTF if it goes back just a touch but mine has never done this either loading or shooting! Some shells have been known to have issues with the brass and the extracors not locking due to brass deformation, i seem to remember Fiocchi mentioned once a long while back and not sure on Federals? Good luck!

you are going to have to lube that gun or it will not function!

Its crazy how everyone has a different opinion on lubing a Benelli. I have friends who use nothing and have great luck with that but there guns have several thousand rounds through them. I was thinking of trying a spray silicone that dries and see if that works. I hate to use greese type lubes as they have a tendence to gum up when it gets cold and it is getting pretty chillie around here.

Thanks for the help:D

Its crazy how everyone has a different opinion on lubing a Benelli. I have friends who use nothing and have great luck with that but there guns have several thousand rounds through them. I was thinking of trying a spray silicone that dries and see if that works. I hate to use greese type lubes as they have a tendence to gum up when it gets cold and it is getting pretty chillie around here.

Thanks for the help:D

A light coat of CLP is good

no lube no work! good synthetic oil is what Benelli says to use and i have a tube of Browning Midas Grease and i do not use much. The most lube i use is in the back of the reicever and only a tad on bolt rails. I use Militec on the rest of the gun and a light Hoppes oil on outer surfaces! NO famous clicking going on here, lube it a tad and get rid of your issues!:)

The only reasons I have heard of that cause a "click" instead of a "bang" are the following: bad ammo (in your case, hard primers maybe?), firing pin issues or the "slide" (in this case, fore-end) not being in full battery. If it happened 3 times with the same round, I would assume it was your ammo.

Also, have you disassembled the weapon at all? Maybe check and see, per the Benelli owners manual, if the bolt is properly seated within the action bars. Im certainly no expert on weapons, but I would think about stripping the gun down and carefully reassembling it per the instructions. When doing this, be sure to clean and lube all vital areas. Then, try a different brand of ammo and go from there. Hopefully, all of this will help you isolate the problem before having to send it back to Benelli...and possibly waiting for over a month before you see your shotty again.

I'm gonna tell you how I "fixed" (hopefully) my SuperSport's "click".

I was having the occasional "click" (which I attributed to deep primers) at the general time that I was getting an occasional failure to feed from the mag. I pulled the trigger group, cleaned it and lightly lubricated it, reinstalled it and that fixed the feed failures.

Lo and behold, the "click" hasn't happened in 1000-1200 rounds!:)

It won't cost you anything; pull the group, clean, lube and reinstall; then let us know if it worked.

If my assumptions are right, then "shotgunNoob" was the closest to getting it right!:D

Never heard of Federal shells having issues in a Benelli,but a shotgun with no lube will have issues and how can you expect one to not have issues with no lube. If the gun is not operating it needs to be sent to Benelli so they can lube it i guess.:o

Mine don't like the cheaper federal dove loads. Never had an issue with any other shells but it don't like the federals.

To anyone buying a Benelli I would say this. Take the gun apart completely and CLEAN it thoroughly! Your benelli needs a light coat of oil on the bolt where it rides on the rails and the rails inside of the receiver. Cleaning the trigger group and a light coat of lube is also not a bad idea. I would also take apart the recoil tube and clean and lubricate it. I have had no probelms with mine since Ive done this, I recommend about 6 drops of oil or CLP inside the recoil tube and work it up and down. Also clean and put a drop or so on the ejector plate inside of barell.