Worthless Thread, but...Why do Benelli barrels cost so much?

shotgunNoob

I was looking at replacement barrels, just in case, and noticed that the majority of them cost almost as much as my shotgun!! For instance, a barrel w/ mounted Ghost Ring sight costs roughly $420 or so. My SuperNova tactical set me back $450 or so. It almost reminds me of the cost ratio/sales method of razors vs razor blades. I looked at other barrels, such as the Remingtons, and they go for $300 or less on average. I guess its a supply vs demand situation. The lesson learned here, for me at least, is that it isnt always about just getting the weapon. Its about how much it will cost to replace damaged parts on the weapon. Not to mention, how readily available these parts actually are. Blah. If I can get at least 10 years or more out of this shotgun w/o any major replacement issues or problems, then I guess I wont complain. Until that day, I will always be waiting for the "s*** to hit the fan"...so to speak! Any thoughts?

I see...Well, I figured it might be an "import" thing. Just one more reason why I think Im going with a Remington 870 Police MAX next time. Dont get me wrong, I like my SuperNova and am in the process of loading it up with all sorts of "goodies". But, when it comes time to start replacing stuff, like the barrel, it may just no longer prove to be very "cost effective". I mean, ****, replacing the barrel, assuming I can even find one like I have, is going to cost me as much as the gun itself!! O well....

Browning barrels for semi-autos cost $400-$500 and are scarce.

I would say that Benelli barrels cost more at retail because they cost more at wholesale.

The exchange rate does not help.

Spare barrels are dog sellers. What is Benelli USA to do with barrels that don't sell well? What is a Benelli dealer to do with a slow selling barrel?

Other than a slug barrel, I have known few that ever buy a spare barrel. I've known some to trade barrels, but I've known few to really want a second or third barrel for any gun they own.

I think it might be nice if Benelli had plenty of spare barrels to satisfy every customer's whim, but in reality, I really don't care :)

mudhen

Browning barrels for semi-autos cost $400-$500 and are scarce.

I would say that Benelli barrels cost more at retail because they cost more at wholesale.

The exchange rate does not help.

Spare barrels are dog sellers. What is Benelli USA to do with barrels that don't sell well? What is a Benelli dealer to do with a slow selling barrel?

Other than a slug barrel, I have known few that ever buy a spare barrel. I've known some to trade barrels, but I've known few to really want a second or third barrel for any gun they own.

I think it might be nice if Benelli had plenty of spare barrels to satisfy every customer's whim, but in reality, I really don't care :)

mudhen

Well, I wasnt really interested in acquiring another barrel just to have one around. Now, for my Sig Sauer, thats another matter. Anyway, I was just curious about this due to the fact that one day, hopefully later than sooner, Im sure I will be needing to replace my current barrel. If so, I dread the thought of essentially buying the gun all over again, in terms of cost. Most peeps buy guns thinking they will last forever. No man made item I have ever heard of is capable of this. Nothing I own is, at least.

i had a Winchester 44-40 that was made in 1868.before it was stolen, it would shoot all day. a gunsmith that checked it out for me said he believed it had never been worked on as far as he could tell. i would say thats about 3, maybe 4 life times.

what ive always wished about that rifle. is that it could talk. i would love to know what it has seen, and where all its been.;)