Home Defense Shot Gun

Monte

The ideal situation is that your home is secured in such a manner that nobody is getting in without making a huge amount of noise, after that you would be cleaning up the mess that your dogs made out of them.

Given that scenario you might not even get a chance to shoot.

If they do get in and kill the dogs, then you just shoot them down.

there are two things that intruders hate........dogs, and alarm systems. if they come in your home with all that , then shoot first ask questions later,because they are on some serious dope.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I have 5 to 6 rounds in my shotty at all times, along with 4 rounds contained within a Mesa Tactical shell holder. In addition, I have a .45 ACP loaded with 7 rounds in the mag...one down from full capacity to be just a bit easier on the springs for the long term. Frankly, Im not sure exactly which post of mine you were commenting on. But, you obviously missed my point(s). I fully understand the effects of adrenaline, stress, etc., etc., and its effects on aiming capabilities. The comparison to the .357 was borrowed from a Massad Ayoob quote...to be taken figuratively, not literally. And, the flashlight theory is subjective, to say the least. Many argue for it, some against it. Some say "hold the flashlight this way or that"...either way, you never truly know how this tool will benefit you. If you are naive enough to think that lighting up a flashlight will just "blind" a perp, thus giving you all the time you need to unload, well.....what can I say. This scenario could just as easily result in you being fired upon as the "clack-clack" of the shotgun you seem to ridicule. My statements regarding the racking of a shotgun round are, I will admit, just as prone to opinions as the whole flashlight business. But, as I mentioned earlier, its not just an "intimidation" thing in my case, but a necessity. I do not keep a round in the chamber. Therefore, the racking sound comes with the territory.

BTW- I do not necessarily claim my shotgun to be my ONLY means of home defense...Im not sure where you got that idea. But, be realistic, not many home intruders want to truly risk their lives just to "procure" some of your items or to have their way with your wife (or girlfriend). So, once fired upon or possibly, hearing a shotgun being armed..they more than likely will not stick around. After all, this is not the same scenario they would encounter when facing police. In that case, its either fire and/or kill or go to jail.

Bottom line is, nobody truly knows what or how things will go down until the s**t hits the fan. Say all you want..Im betting you are no more prepared than I. And, as I said before, most gunfights are over within a matter of seconds. Can you fire 14 rounds, effectively, while under stress..in the middle of the night.. within a matter of seconds? Particularly if you are dealing with multiple people? I doubt it. Take a look at your statement regarding the possibility of "missing someone", given enough stress. Actually, I agree. But, do you honestly think you are bound to be more accurate with a handgun vs a shotgun in this type of situation? Give me a break....Say what you will, 4 to 6 rounds in a shotgun is just as effective as your 14 of .45. Unless, of course, you're a damn good shot under pressure. The reason to fire at a home intruder is not to necessarily kill or wound him/her/they, but to STOP them. Period! Dont tell me that you honestly think that any handgun would be more capable of this than a shotgun.

I could go on and on about this topic, but I wont. Just dont make the mistake of thinking that anything you have said is news to me or that somehow you are "enlightening" me. Ive heard it all before. Either way, this debate doesnt start or end here. The bottom line is, either one of these weapons are better than no weapon at all.

amen...........speaking of unloading... you go noob.

all too often after a shooting, there is a hearing, or inqesition into the shooting. the judge asked me what my purpose for shooting the man was. i told him he was brandishing a weapon after forcebly entering my home. all i was trying to do was stop him. he asked me if i pursued the man in question. i told him know, i remained in my bedroom , while my wife was on the phone with 911.

ive often wondered what the outcome would been if i had said, "iwas trying to blow his head off, and yes i hunted him down like a coyote hunting a rabbit".

all too often after a shooting, there is a hearing, or inqesition into the shooting. the judge asked me what my purpose for shooting the man was. i told him he was brandishing a weapon after forcebly entering my home. all i was trying to do was stop him. he asked me if i pursued the man in question. i told him know, i remained in my bedroom , while my wife was on the phone with 911.

ive often wondered what the outcome would been if i had said, "iwas trying to blow his head off, and yes i hunted him down like a coyote hunting a rabbit".

Do you really need to wonder? I think you know...

let some one shoot you with a 20ga shotgun, and see if you dont. i would imagine it was as much due to shock, as impact. ive got nothing to prove to any one, so i dont give a flying damn wetheryou believe me or not.

I dont beleive you and you are a lier. Ive shot deer close range with 3.5" magnum buckshot and they didnt fly back 20 feet. Oh and it was on mythbusters lol:eek::eek:

splashdance,

NJ is right.

Simple physics dictate that if the projectile delivered that much impact force, then the recoil would split you in half.

Nova,

Send over a skirt.

I need a new cover for my duck boat. :cool:

i guess i need to clarify the fact that he was NOT thrown back as if hit by 55 gallon drum 3000 mph. like so many have been pictuing it in a poorly directed movie.when he was hit , he stumbled back a couple of steps before fully going down.

the police measured it at 19' 10". as ive said ive got absolutly nothing to prove to any one here. as said i think it was as much the shock of the noise and being hit as the the impact itself. my point was it doesnt matter what you get shot with , its going to do some considerable damage at close range. and NO, no one should ever be proud to have to kill another human being.and anyone that really believes this is no better than the person whom broke into thier home in my way of thinking. that makes them killers & or murders who just need a valid excuss to kill so they wont be fighting for thier virtue in prison. and thats all i have to say on the entire subject. give that some thought.

The only thing that makes an animal of either two or four legs go backwards after being hit by anything short of a howitzer is the fact that the CNS system goes into overload and instantaneously launches the muscles into one huge spasm.

The greater the muscle strength, the greater the effect.

Sometimes they just drop right where they were shot, sometimes they launch themselves, but the bullet did not do it, it merely caused the reaction.