Looking to confirm details about my M1014

Joe the M1014 Owner

New member here, looking to confirm some details about a M1014 that I just purchased. I have spent the last week reading just about every thread pertaining to the gun but have some questions that I hope the experts here can answer or confirm my thoughts.

The gun is definitely a M1014 serial number 0728 with the engraved flag. I have the original box, manual, magazine tube & chokes tubes. It has an extended mag tube on it, and it has the skeletonized stock and grip and the solid stock and grip. The previous owner bought it new from a dealer for 3 gun events, fired maybe 50 rounds and ended up buying a different shotgun and put this one away. It has been well cared for but not fired for a number of years. I don't have the option to ask him a bunch of questions but would like to know as much as possible about my new gun. Here's what I'm looking to find out:

The year of manufacture? I have seen the posts about the codes on the barrel but I'm not sure if the code is just the 2 letters or part of a serial number. I do see a BS in a square by itself. This would make it a 2002 model?

Is this a Limited Edition model? I have read about the flag indicating a limited edition model. The box shows M1014(LE) Are people just confusing "Law Enforcement" with LE and " Limited Edition" If it is a Limited Edition, does that status have any real effect on the value of the gun?

The skeletonized stock will go on this gun but will not retract. Correct?

It has one position and if I wanted the telescopic feature I would have to modify or replace the recoil tube. Correct?

But this stock could be used with a M4 11707 in which case it would be fully retractable? I have seen the high sale prices for these stocks along with people being berated for selling them at those prices. I don't need a skeletonized stock, if someone wants it that bad to pay crazy money, make me an offer.

Should I be concerned that the gun maybe hasn't been fired for 5 years. The gun appears to be brand new with no visible signs of dirt, grime or abuse. Beside basic maintenance is there anything I should do before firing the gun?

The gun comes with 5 choke tubes. I'm not familiar with choke tubes is there someplace I can go to learn more about how the chokes effect the pattern for this barrel and different shotsize?

The gun came with a M4 Super 90 manual which shows the telescopic stock. I'm thinking this might not be the original manual. Does a M1014 manual exist, in english?

I got a very generous deal on buying this gun, and plan on keeping it as a home defense tool.But I'm wondering how it applies to different forms of hunting. Is anyone hunting with theirs?

Sorry for the flurry of questions, but I do want to learn as much as I can about this gun. Thanks to all the great info here, I feel like I'm an almost an expert on the subject now.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute!

Next stop is the firing range to see what I can learn about these chokes and patterns!

Joe

wow,,heres what I'm gonna tell ya,its late so listen,Congrats on your wise purchase,,take it apart,,clean it lube it,,,go have fun and shoot it,,post some pics of your new baby,,limited editions are always better than the run of the mill,,your barrel should have a fixed choke on the end of it,not interchagable,, post pics,, lets see some of the accessories too,,like box ,manual,,end of your barrel etc.Now go have some fun with it,,thats what its for.

Joe,

Congratulations. Yes, you have one of the Limited Edition ones I believe since it has the little flag. Mine does not say LEO though. Shoot it well.

I believe the manual is available online. I don't have the link handy. I have the Marine Corp manual if you like it in PDF. Shoot me an PM with your email and I would be happy to forward. M1014 and I have both modded the heck out of ours. We love them.

If you want the stock to fully collapse, I am not going to get into a legal debate here. Been beat to death. You have two choices. You can send your rifle to Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating and Weaponry and he will machine your recoil tube to three positions for a very reasonable cost. Only thing is that he cannot refinish the recoil tube to the original color, but it looks fine with plain metal. The second choice is you can get a two position new recoil tube from Numrich and replace your tube. It is VERY hard to remove your old tube. People on this forum have done it - it requires a tourch and application of severe heat. But even Bob told me that it would be a tough job for him to do. So beware if you choose that option.

I can tell you that mine seems to like grease (Tetra Grease) rather than oil. Also it seems that if I don't have it firmly planted on my shoulder or hip, it can occasionally get a FTF. But it is truly a blast!

good to hear from ya old flame red,,your one of the originals around,,we're dinasours now compared to these new guys,,you are the one who led the charge in recoil tube refinement,,and I'm still a pleased as the day I had mine done,,in those days Coogan was close to me ,,now he's in another land,,yes I also agree that machining the tube would be wiser than trying to take it off,,in our day back in 04 there where no other options,,about a year ago I helped my other M1014 brother in replacing the recoil tube and it was alot of time heat and some near disastourus close calls,,,machining is the way to go. seeya

1-20-200820642PM.jpg

enough said?

ETA:

of yeah you can always remove the two phillips head screws from the cheek piece and knock the pin out of stock so it will collapse, just will only lock on the fully open position. also I'm friends with a fella that changed his recoil tube out with a vise, towel and pipe wrench...recoil tube twisted right off~shrugs~

And if you have a M1014 limited edition you would not have any place to put those choke tubes, as far as I know only the M4 came with the barrel that accepts choke tubes as far as I know....but I have been told before by several gun dealers that 2 versions of the M1014 was released?

1-20-200820642PM.jpg

enough said?

ETA:

of yeah you can always remove the two phillips head screws from the cheek piece and knock the pin out of stock so it will collapse, just will only lock on the fully open position. also I'm friends with a fella that changed his recoil tube out with a vise, towel and pipe wrench...recoil tube twisted right off~shrugs~

And if you have a M1014 limited edition you would not have any place to put those choke tubes, as far as I know only the M4 came with the barrel that accepts choke tubes as far as I know....but I have been told before by several gun dealers that 2 versions of the M1014 was released?

NIce deer and gun! What was that shot in? Were you using buckshot or slugs

NIce deer and gun! What was that shot in? Were you using buckshot or slugs

Got that deer in Indiana last year and it was shot with a slug the old favorite of mine Winchester "Power Point" foster slug. everyone has their own opinion on slugs for their Benelli but my shotty just loves to fling these slugs in super tight groups amd they hit like freight train......just so happens these slugs are not $10 a box either :D

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I have been able to confirm that it is a 11701 with original barrel (match sn# on box) and it does have a single removable choke tube. But its a Briley Sk tube? More mysteries. I have read more history and noticed that there was reportedly a 11702 and 11703 possibly with removable chokes but all indications are this is a 11701. I have totally disassembled the entire gun and cleaned and lubed the appropriate parts but it really did not need it. I have figured out that I'm not going to mess with the recoil tube so I sold the telescopic stock and gave someone a good deal. I wonder how long before an aftermarket group starts producing that stock to take advantage of the outrageous prices. I'm now looking for a standard stock to put on for hunting so I don't scare my fellow hunters!

Yes, Adamlau, your 11707 is probably the preferred model but I bet I got a lot better deal than you did, so I'm not complaining! And just maybe the Limited Edition status may make it a better value down the road.

Wingbone, that is an very nice trophy and the shotgun kill just makes it that much better. Congrats! Maybe I'll try my m1014 in a couple weeks for whitetail season here!

Edited by Joe the M1014 Owner