M4 Bolt handle problem!

Super M4

I have a Benelli m4 and have shot close to if not more than 2000 rds thru it. I was taking a class about 2 months ago and made it all the way through the class with no problems. On the very last COF my bolt handle flew out. Bad part is I never found it. I had a spare bolt handle one of Dave's Metal works enlarged. I'm shooting this past Sunday and just out of nowhere it flew off as well. Luckily I found it and kept shooting about 50 rds later it does the same thing again. This really sucks and was wondering if any one else has had the same problem and what should I do about it.

Hi Super M4!

It sounds like the problem may not be the bolt handles since it happened to two of the bolt handles. It looks like the problem may be the Bolt handle detente or probably the Bolt handle detente spring. Look at pages 8 and 9 in the spare parts manual. PM me with your e-mail if I can help.

• 10 years later...

I have had the same problem.  It happens sporadically, I have been lucky enough to find each time.  I would also like to hear of a solution.  Will inspect my detente parts; however, I can pull on the bolt handle and it is tight.  Some how, it gets released (falls out) during the cycling operation.

I’d recommend letting Benelli fix it. That detent and spring is a pain in the ass to get back in. If you don’t have tiny 3/32 type punches, forget it. 

The detent May have damaged the bolt handle’s notches which would make sense if multiple handles are falling out. Or the spring could be weak or bound up and not applying sufficient pressure on the detent. 

Was the first bolt that flew out an OEM? 

None of these after market bolt handles seem to be cut right, wrong angle, too deep here or too shallow there...Mostly all of them far outweigh the OEM handle. 

An example of a comparison between the oem vs an after market handle here in this picture below. (my drawing from another thread complaining about AM handles)

exam.jpg.b5403a4deef50691b6c5562a9f6e0d40.jpg.cbd40c4a09cf29b580a1f4df9d7710ff.jpg

• 1 month later...

Donrozon -

Can you give us a rundown on your fluted bolt?  Who did it?  How much?  Weight differences?  Actual benefits in cycling and felt recoil?  I see Taran Tactical offers this as part of their overall upgrade packages but never offered as a stand alone service.

Losers of Bolt Handles (No Tycoon, Super M4) -

For those of you that were lucky enough to find their handles, where was it?  Meaning, did it appear to fly out and behind you at the end of the bolt retraction or in front of you when the bolt slammed home on the chamber?

Thanks, Birdog

7 hours ago, Birdog19 said:

Donrozon -

Can you give us a rundown on your fluted bolt?  Who did it?  How much?  Weight differences?  Actual benefits in cycling and felt recoil?  I see Taran Tactical offers this as part of their overall upgrade packages but never offered as a stand alone service.

Losers of Bolt Handles (No Tycoon, Super M4) -

For those of you that were lucky enough to find their handles, where was it?  Meaning, did it appear to fly out and behind you at the end of the bolt retraction or in front of you when the bolt slammed home on the chamber?

Thanks, Birdog

Hey

price for the flute bolt with TiAIN coating is 150$Cdn  it’s a shop in Canada called tactical ordonnance who’s is specialized on mod for the Benelli M4 and other shotgun ... I will Give you more info when I receive mine and start a tread on my build 

cheers