home invasion, fact vs fiction

splashtx556ftw

there are three basic types of home invasion.

1.the one thats cases out your house and waits for you to leave, then enters and cleans you out.

2. the quite burglar who does not want wake you.that most of the time are not armed.

3.and the ones who kick your door in ,while you sit watching tv. in which case will be armed to teeth, and more than prepared to use deadly force to gain thier goals.

fact- unless you sit in your living room with a gun in your hand, pointed at the door, you are going to be at thier mercy.then you do as they say and pray to god they dont hurt your family.this has been happening a lot around the D/FW area.

fiction-i know exactly what im going to in all cases.

fact- no one knows what will happen, till it does.

fact-having a plan of action IS a good idea.

fact-staying put in the room your in, or retreating to the rear of your home is the best thing to do when you hear someone enter your home. gun in hand, 911 in the other.

fact- keeping a light on in the living room, or end of the hall at the far end of your bedroom entrance, is a very good idea. this puts your intruder in the light, while keeping you in the dark.

fact - racking a shot gun while in a total dark room is a good idea.if your intruder turns out to be your wife, kids or beer sucking brother in law they will call out that it is them.if not friendly, youll hear a lot of camotion with them tripping over all kinds of things trying to get the he** out of there.in the brother in law case go a head and shoot.

fiction- the intruder is going to come hunt you down, after hearing you rack a shotgun. even an automatic makes a very distinctive sound in the dark. knowing your armed and likely calling police, he is also going to hide in your house and wait for the police.

fiction- it is a good idea to try to hem in intruder so he cant escape.

fact- an alarm sysem or security company is the best home defense money can buy. as well as steel door frames and metal or solid wood doors with double dead bolt locks.

this alone is the #1 best defense against all type of intrusion.it is a proven fact that that less than 3% of homes with security systems are ever broken into and the person usualy flees when the sirens go off.

fact - a weapon is good to have if all else fails, but should be used as a last resort.

this is my out look on this subject. am intrested in other peoples veiws.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I hope it never happens to me.

2. I have read a book published by a local lawyer regarding weapons and self-defense laws and castle doctrine. I did this to make myself more knowledgeable about what I can and cannot legally do when I am carrying concealed, and what I can do in my own home. The CCW class covers the basics, but that's about it.

3. What splashtx says above is pretty accurate, and worth rereading again before you reject it out-of-hand.

Your life will be far, far less complicated if you get the guy to run away, than if you are forced to take deadly means.

Yeah, we've all heard "better to be tried by 12 than carried away by 6."

The "tried by 12" option screws up many a life, but is not as bad as dying, I'll agree.

But the truth is, its far, far better for you if it never happens, or it it does and you scare them away.

fiction-i know exactly what im going to in all cases
I'm not totally sold on that being fiction.....or, I should say that were it me, I do know what I am going to do.

I am going to get up from my chair, get a gun, and shoot the bad guy.

I have three dogs, all pit-bull terrier crosses, totaling over 200 pounds of K9 muscle. Any one of them can take you off your feet. Three of them can take turns bringing me your limbs, if it comes to that.

While they are busy keeping you occupied, I'll decide on the appropriate firearm to use to help celebrate your last home invasion party. ;)

I'm not totally sold on that being fiction.....or, I should say that were it me, I do know what I am going to do.

I am going to get up from my chair, get a gun, and shoot the bad guy.

I have three dogs, all pit-bull terrier crosses, totaling over 200 pounds of K9 muscle. Any one of them can take you off your feet. Three of them can take turns bringing me your limbs, if it comes to that.

While they are busy keeping you occupied, I'll decide on the appropriate firearm to use to help celebrate your last home invasion party. ;)

I will not know exactly what is going to happen. Maybe the person that breaks into your house knows you have a dogs like that. Maybe they have a plan for that. I am not alway close to a gun. And if it were as easy as you just said it, noone would have a problem in the first place.

The problem is its not that easy. You will have your hands between your legs while the person is kicking in your door. People on drugs and have guns don't care if you have a big dog. A .357 will do the same to the dog as it would to you.

You do have to have a plan. I think being cocky will just get you killed.

Your life will be far, far less complicated if you get the guy to run away, than if you are forced to take deadly means.

Until the next day when you hear that there was another break in a few blocks away and somebody's grandmother was killed by a crackhead looking to score something for a fix.

Fact is, the odds of any one of us being involved in such an incident are astronomical.

BUT, if I am involved, I won't be thinking too much about what looks good in the eyes of the law.

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

Yeah, we've all heard "better to be tried by 12 than carried away by 6."

The "tried by 12" option screws up many a life, but is not as bad as dying, I'll agree.

But the truth is, its far, far better for you if it never happens, or it it does and you scare them away.

There is some truth to this, but there are also cases where now that the intruder knows you have guns, they come back when they know for certain you are not home and clean you out INCLUDING the guns.

The best thing to do is to know your local laws, and take the intruder out in a manner that is "acceptable" according to the jurisdiction you live in.

The best thing to do is to know your local laws, and take the intruder out in a manner that is "acceptable" according to the jurisdiction you live in.

Easily said. Not so easily done, I fear.

I'm going to have one **** of a time terminating someone's life, unless I truly believe it's "me (or wife or daughter) or him."

This is why, quite frankly, I hope I'm never placed in this situation.

I will not, repeat, will not, terminate someone's life on the fear that they might come back when I'm not home and steal my guns.

If they turn tail and run, they live. I'm not shooting them in the back.

We can all talk as tough as we want on a forum such as this, but when it comes down to the real deal, pulling the trigger or not pulling the trigger in a high stress life-or-death situation, none of us know how we're really going to react unless we've been there before, such as in the military. And I haven't.

And I'll bet a lot of you haven't either.

The best we can do, is know what the laws are, and practice shooting your gun at the range, and be prepared.

And hope you never have to kill someone.

timb99,

This is the key point upon which we differ.

The way I see it, anyone who breaks into my home has calculated a certain level of risk and has decided to take that risk.

If he's banking on me saying, "Freeze!... while I check the legalities regarding shooting your sorry azz.", then he's made a grave error that will put him in the grave.

I'm not interested in whether he's armed or not.

I'm not interested in whether he's there to rob me, rape somebody, kill somebody, or borrow a cup of sugar.

If he's uninvited, he's in deeper and headed for deeper.

If his "human life" is worth the risk to him, it certainly means nothing to me.

I agree tucker301. Only thing I might add is anyone that does not know how they are going to react will be at the mercy of the intruder. It is not something to figue out at the time. When my airplane started to land in a war zone, I decided. Someone intruding into my house will recieve no mercy or warning and I will not loose any sleep.

I guess a big luck to all.

One day this will happen to one of us. Some of us will be happy the person left before we even saw them. Some of us will see them, hold them up and the person will go to jail. And last some of you will be going to jail.

I'm not scared to pull the trigger. I'm scare to lose my family. I will do whatever it takes to take care of my family. I hope you all think the same.

Be safe to all.

Novaking

Easily said. Not so easily done, I fear.

I'm going to have one **** of a time terminating someone's life, unless I truly believe it's "me (or wife or daughter) or him."

This is why, quite frankly, I hope I'm never placed in this situation.

I will not, repeat, will not, terminate someone's life on the fear that they might come back when I'm not home and steal my guns.

If they turn tail and run, they live. I'm not shooting them in the back.

We can all talk as tough as we want on a forum such as this, but when it comes down to the real deal, pulling the trigger or not pulling the trigger in a high stress life-or-death situation, none of us know how we're really going to react unless we've been there before, such as in the military. And I haven't.

And I'll bet a lot of you haven't either.

The best we can do, is know what the laws are, and practice shooting your gun at the range, and be prepared.

And hope you never have to kill someone.

I hope that I never have to kill anyone either, and I agree that I would never shoot anyone in the back, but I disagree with the idea that scaring someone away is a good idea.

I personally want to maintain the element of surprise, and frankly, I want to wait in a dark area where I can make a positive ID on the intruder as they turn the corner, and I will nail him right in the chest.

Think about it, if you make your presence known and you have a very aggressive intruder, or worse yet, what if there is more than one? Imagine what they will do to your wife and daughter if you die.

I hope that I never have to kill anyone either, and I agree that I would never shoot anyone in the back, but I disagree with the idea that scaring someone away is a good idea.

I personally want to maintain the element of surprise, and frankly, I want to wait in a dark area where I can make a positive ID on the intruder as they turn the corner, and I will nail him right in the chest.

Think about it, if you make your presence known and you have a very aggressive intruder, or worse yet, what if there is more than one? Imagine what they will do to your wife and daughter if you die.

What if your wrong, and go to jail. what will your wife and kids do then. shooting someone doesn't keep them out of danger.