home invasion, fact vs fiction

splashtx556ftw

Thanks, Novaking. Shotguns are for putting food on the table. Killing folks ain't for me. Tired of all the Macho dudes that think they are going to do otherwise. Hope they don't kill me if I happen to knock on their door! I am REALLY tired of all the "tactical" crap on the forum. I would much rather see technical (mechanical) and hunting issues addressed.

i agree, you would think this to be a mercenarry forum.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick and tired of reading all this "tactical" crap. Shotguns are for hunting. If you want to kill somebody, get a 44 magnum (like "Dirty Harry"). What is this you guys are in to?... some kind of "penis envy" or something like that? Do you think you have to have the "biggest gun" and be prepared to face a situation which will probably get you killed just because you are such a macho S.O.B.? Get real!!!
I can certainly see your point regarding the use of the word "tactical" on this forum. Of course, there are a few times when this word is essentially unavoidable. But, Ill leave that one alone. Also, I will admit that certain members here seem all too anxious to "blow away" any would-be intruder. I will leave that one alone as well.

However, I must take issue with your statement regarding shotguns and home defense. Now, its obvious that shotguns are heavily used for sporting purposes...along with rifles. But, this does not simply make them "sport" only weapons. Heck, many peeps hunt animals with revolvers. Should they now consider revolvers no longer "practical" for home defense use?

Either way, shotguns are used for home defense because of their excellent "leveraging" characteristics. It has nothing to do, at least in my case, with trying to be macho. But it does have to do with greater stopping power (not necessarily killing power) vs handguns, its forgiving nature vs hanguns when "great aim" is not feasible, and for its effective, well-known reputation (due, in part, to the previously mentioned reasons). These are but a few practical reasons why shotguns make great home defense weapons. Why do you think the military/police find shotguns so effective? Its certainly not because they are great for hunting. Think about it.

It is somewhat narrow-minded to dismiss these weapons as merely for hunting or sporting use. This goes double for thinking that anyone who would arm themselves as such is nothing more than a testosterone-laden commando wannabe. This simply is not the case. Regardless, I have no qualms about using a shotgun to defend my family or loved ones. I consider their safety/lives every bit as important as "putting food on the table".

Edited by shotgunNoob

Some of you ladies seem to be oblivious to the fact that Benelli makes some of the most popular tactical and home defense shotguns there are.

While I'm not into all of that like M1014, Duggan, and some others, it is a viable market sector for the company.

Perhaps a new "Tactical" sub-forum would be helpful in keeping you sportsmen from accidentally clicking into threads like "home invasion, fact vs fiction".

I can clearly see how you could have mistakenly assumed the discussion was going to be about chimney swallows. :rolleyes:

Some of you ladies seem to be oblivious to the fact that Benelli makes some of the most popular tactical and home defense shotguns there are.

While I'm not into all of that like M1014, Duggan, and some others, it is a viable market sector for the company.

Perhaps a new "Tactical" sub-forum would be helpful in keeping you sportsmen from accidentally clicking into threads like "home invasion, fact vs fiction".

I can clearly see how you could have mistakenly assumed the discussion was going to be about chimney swallows. :rolleyes:

Amen to that.

I like this guy!:D

I am not a lady. I do not shoot chimney swallows. I deeply regret that so many feel so insecure that things have come to this. It is a sad commentary on the "state of our union." God bless you and keep you safe. Hope to he** you don't shoot anyone in your family or a friend accidentally.

Think about what you are doing. Be safe but be sure. Protect our rights by NOT abusing them.

Edited by MontefeltroPro

Shotguns have been used for home defense for over a hundred years. The M-1897 Trench shotgun was widely used in WWI and designed to accept a 14" bayonet.

Don't tell me about killing young man. Until you have killed, you have nothing to say to me. I see every face when I close my eyes. I have NO regrets. I'm alive.

Excessive force and shooting someone in the back will get you into jail. I've read the Castle Doctrine, my State Laws and talked with my lawyer at length concerning home security and defense.

I and my wife are disabled. Do you actually think I'll go to jail for permanently stopping some punk in my home? Think about your answer before you insert your foot.

Most of you are correct, this web site is not for me. Your hunters of wild game, target shooters and maybe competition shooters. Most of you have no real-life firearm experience, law enforement experience, Military experience nor experience in other weapon systems. And young man, ALL weapons are designed for killing. Just depends what you kill.

Good luck to you all.

Many years ago during my Vietnam era war years, I knew serveral guys that just couldn't wait to "blow away" as many VC as possible. They lusted and bragged. What they forgot was that these VC would be shooting at them also. After all these years, these guys and many more of my friends (the ones that came home alive) don't talk much about shooting people anymore. Taking a human life in war or at 2:00 AM in the morning in your hallway, is a difficult thing to do and to live with. I'm happy to say that the 3-4 times I almost had to kill, the criminal backed down and dropped their weapon. I strongly believe in protecting yourself and family and being prepared with good solid training and common sense, but when you "arm-up" and practically dream about killing with elaberate plans and defense postures, you have already lost your humanity. My badge now rest in a display case and my weapons in a large gun safe. It's the Christmas season and I have lot's of presents to buy and many more happier thoughts to think about.

I am not a lady. I do not shoot chimney swallows. I deeply regret that so many feel so insecure that things have come to this. It is a sad commentary on the "state of our union." God bless you and keep you safe. Hope to he** you don't shoot anyone in your family or a friend accidentally.

Think about what you are doing. Be safe but be sure. Protect our rights by NOT abusing them.

Why do you have such an aversion toward shotguns, or any weapon for that matter, in regards to home defense? Do you honestly believe that keeping a gun in the home, for purposes other than hunting, is criminal or negligent? Please understand that Im not trying to flame you here...Im just trying to gain insight as to why you feel the way you do.

Why do you have such an aversion toward shotguns, or any weapon for that matter, in regards to home defense? Do you honestly believe that keeping a gun in the home, for purposes other than hunting, is criminal or negligent? Please understand that Im not trying to flame you here...Im just trying to gain insight as to why you feel the way you do.

O.K., Noob, I'll come clean. All this was brought about by a bit of mischief triggered by a small amount of frustration. I have a new Benelli bird gun which I love and visit the forum almost every day since. I became frustrated that hunters don't contribute as frequently as tactical guys. The replies that I have gotten to my posts have actually peaked my interest in the tactical shotgun world. Thanks for that.

It has been an interesting thing, getting you guys so stirred up! BUT... look at all the good input, opinions, and contributions that my "tongue-in-cheek" posts have elicited! This has been the best reading thread I have seen. On the one hand, I regret being so "preachy", but then again, look what it triggered! (And I got "preached to" right back... and pretty good!!!) Some really good postings were contributed from BOTH sides of the fence.

I have NO aversion to shotguns as a choice for home defense, actually. No, I don't think it's a criminal act to have a defense weapon in the home. My home is not spacious and I am of small frame, so I keep my S & W 9mm (15 shot) in my nightstand. Personally, I would find a shotgun rather unwieldy for home defense in my situation. I know the 9mm cartridge doesn't have much stopping power, but 5-6 of them do! I am in a relatively very safe area AND a local policeman lives (and parks his patrol car) two doors down. Highway patrol fellow lives a few doors in the other direction and parks his patrol car out front also. I choose the 9mm over my shotguns, or 44 Mag, or 357 mag, because I can shoot it with one hand, I can shoot it with either hand, I can shoot it fast, and I can shoot it around corners if needed, and hold a light with the other, if needed... and I can hit with it pretty good without aiming.

Yes, it has been interesting. I've been called a "lady" out to hunt chimney swallows, I've been preached to by a veteran who assumes that I and much younger than he (I could be older??) and have not had the same experiences that he has... (I am also a veteran). I've been shown a picture of the guy that Cheney shot (in hopes that I won't feel safe hunting anymore???... what was that for?)

Tell you what I'll do: I'll get out of your way and try to find a hunting forum thread where I belong. I promise not to bother you guys any more. It's been fun, but it is now time for you dudes to kick somebody else around for a while. I have no objection to your weapons of choice... if I had a larger house, in a high-crime area, I'd probably be right there with you.

This is America and we all have a choice about MORE things than in most countries. Choice of home defense weapons is certainly one of those.

It's been fun! Now go get out there and see if you can find a 15 round magazine extension!

I can certainly see your point regarding the use of the word "tactical" on this forum. Of course, there are a few times when this word is essentially unavoidable. But, Ill leave that one alone. Also, I will admit that certain members here seem all too anxious to "blow away" any would-be intruder. I will leave that one alone as well.

However, I must take issue with your statement regarding shotguns and home defense. Now, its obvious that shotguns are heavily used for sporting purposes...along with rifles. But, this does not simply make them "sport" only weapons. Heck, many peeps hunt animals with revolvers. Should they now consider revolvers no longer "practical" for home defense use?

Either way, shotguns are used for home defense because of their excellent "leveraging" characteristics. It has nothing to do, at least in my case, with trying to be macho. But it does have to do with greater stopping power (not necessarily killing power) vs handguns, its forgiving nature vs hanguns when "great aim" is not feasible, and for its effective, well-known reputation (due, in part, to the previously mentioned reasons). These are but a few practical reasons why shotguns make great home defense weapons. Why do you think the military/police find shotguns so effective? Its certainly not because they are great for hunting. Think about it.

It is somewhat narrow-minded to dismiss these weapons as merely for hunting or sporting use. This goes double for thinking that anyone who would arm themselves as such is nothing more than a testosterone-laden commando wannabe. This simply is not the case. Regardless, I have no qualms about using a shotgun to defend my family or loved ones. I consider their safety/lives every bit as important as "putting food on the table".

Yep, after some thought, you are right. I am wrong... sort of. But it sure has been fun getting you guys all stirred up! I have been rather "narrow-minded" in my postings but I am sure getting a lot of very good opinions which are very enlightening. I just wish that my hunting contemporaries would contribute more stuff on the forum. You tactical guys seem to have the "right of way." So... you got it. You express yourself very well and make really good points. Thanks for the reply. I have learned a lot from all this. I'll get out of your way and find a hunting thread where I can contribute significantly.

Out of your way --

MontefeltroPro

P.S. One question about YOUR reply: what is the difference in stopping power and killing power? (Seemed to me to be a weak point in your argument.)

Shotguns have been used for home defense for over a hundred years. The M-1897 Trench shotgun was widely used in WWI and designed to accept a 14" bayonet.

Don't tell me about killing young man. Until you have killed, you have nothing to say to me. I see every face when I close my eyes. I have NO regrets. I'm alive.

Excessive force and shooting someone in the back will get you into jail. I've read the Castle Doctrine, my State Laws and talked with my lawyer at length concerning home security and defense.

I and my wife are disabled. Do you actually think I'll go to jail for permanently stopping some punk in my home? Think about your answer before you insert your foot.

Most of you are correct, this web site is not for me. Your hunters of wild game, target shooters and maybe competition shooters. Most of you have no real-life firearm experience, law enforement experience, Military experience nor experience in other weapon systems. And young man, ALL weapons are designed for killing. Just depends what you kill.

Good luck to you all.

Yes, I have something to say to you: Weak argument. You say shotguns have been used for over a hundred years for home defense BUT then give the military usage as an example. That's weak. Poor argument.

Hope you and yours are safe and strong. Won't argue about the usage... depending on your preferences, shotguns CAN be great defense weapons if you can heft them in a hurry. If you prefer a shotgun, then that's your choice. I'm a pistol man when it comes to home defense. In America, we still (at least for now) give folks a choice about such. Stay well and stay warm.

Thanks for the reply. I will pray for you. Merry Christmas!

MontefeltroPro (also a Vietnam vet who just MIGHT be even older that YOU, young man!)

Yep, after some thought, you are right. I am wrong... sort of. But it sure has been fun getting you guys all stirred up! I have been rather "narrow-minded" in my postings but I am sure getting a lot of very good opinions which are very enlightening. I just wish that my hunting contemporaries would contribute more stuff on the forum. You tactical guys seem to have the "right of way." So... you got it. You express yourself very well and make really good points. Thanks for the reply. I have learned a lot from all this. I'll get out of your way and find a hunting thread where I can contribute significantly.

Out of your way --

MontefeltroPro

P.S. One question about YOUR reply: what is the difference in stopping power and killing power? (Seemed to me to be a weak point in your argument.)[/quote

Keep up the posts. ITS FUN anyway you put it. I've learned a lot and taugh very little.

Novaking

P.S. One question about YOUR reply: what is the difference in stopping power and killing power? (Seemed to me to be a weak point in your argument.)
Ill try to explain this seemingly common mis-conception.

Home defense weapons should not necessarily be based on whether or not they have "killing power". After all, you could unload a clip on some people and guess what? They may still be able to effectively harm you by whatever means they choose. Now sure, they may "bleed out" eventually, but not fast enough to keep you and yours out of harms way. This is unacceptable. Here is where the term "stopping power" takes over.

Here, the shotgun is dominant when it comes to home defense. If one is shot with such a weapon, they are FAR more likely to be put out of commission almost immediately. Now, are there exceptions to the rule? Sure. But, the shotgun gives far more leveraging power when it comes to "stopping" an opponent vs merely trying to "kill" him.

So, to summarize. The goal of dealing with an intruder, should it become necessary to take it this far, is not to merely try to kill him...but STOP him..cold. Shotguns go a very long way towards facilitating this goal.

BTW- I appreciate your comments/viewpoints....We all have our ideas about weapons and the use thereof.

Edited by shotgunNoob

I understand what you mean. Thats why I also keep a loaded .45 ACP around...for greater mobility. Oh, I did forget to mention another good reason for the use of shotguns for HD. Certain loads can still be very effective for HD use, yet be far less likely to penetrate walls vs most HD handgun loads. Just more food for thought. ;)

But, shotguns are not very "mobile"..thats for sure.

I understand what you mean. Thats why I also keep a loaded .45 ACP around...for greater mobility. Oh, I did forget to mention another good reason for the use of shotguns for HD. Certain loads can still be very effective for HD use, yet be far less likely to penetrate walls vs most HD handgun loads. Just more food for thought. ;)

But, shotguns are not very "mobile"..thats for sure.

I appreciate you comments yet once again! Good points and expressed very well. Thanks!

First, I hope I never am placed in a violent situation. I have no desire to harm anyone. I've had too many people die under my hands while doing CPR to want to hurt anyone. I have never commited a violent act in my life. That being said, the penalty for violently entering my home unbidden is death or at least to be shot multiple times with a .45ACP, 9mm or 12 ga. Zero tollerance? That's me. I have zero regard for someone who has zero regard for me and mine, armed or not. I will assume that anyone who breaks in or attempts to has violent intent. I will not wait to see if an intruder is armed. The mere fact that they have broken-in tells me that they intend on causing me harm. Don't tell me that I don't know what I will do in this situation simply because I've never been in it. My mindset is survival; I've been a shooter since I was about 5 yo, was an MP 30 years ago and I have NO doubt as to my reaction and am willing to stake my life on it. I live in a city's limits, but on acreage. If my doorbell rings I answer it with a 1911 in hand; no one has ever seen this because no one has ever been to my door with any criminal intent. My dogs will more than likely alert me to someones presence. It will take more than one kick to get through any of my doors. This may seem harsh to some, but I follow society's rules and expect the same from all people. Twenty years as an inner-city Emergency Department RN have shown me that there are plenty of people out there who have no regard for the sanctity of life and anyone who dares to bring violence into my abode had better look to their life because I won't even staunch their wounds.

After reading all postings and before anyone has commented on mine, I feel that I need to add more. I will identify my target as a bad guy. I am not some blood-thirsty moron. My state was the first to enact a "Make My Day" law. And to the person who suggested that they would drag someone that they had shot into the house, do you think that the police won't know you did this? Do you have any idea how messy gun shot wound are? Why do you think that it is sometimes referred to as wet-work?

Edited by highwall shu

what people seem to not understand, is that "tactical shotguns" were origanaly desighned for military use, and law enforcment. for they guys coming out of a bank, with full auto weapons blazing. hence the word "TACTICAL".

i dont know about other states but these people that say empty the clip, are very misinformed. in texas if you shoot once , it self defence, if you shoot after your intruder has hit the floor, its classified murder.

i have been through this red tape, and believe me, you dont want it. but make no mistake about it i more than ready to defend my family and property.but i have taken a lot extra measures to prevent the entry of an intruder to start with. if hes getting in my house, he has his work cut out for him.