New M4 or M2?

majorjake42

I recently purchased my first Benelli, the Nova and love it as far as pumps go. However, I now have the desire to purchase a semi-auto, either the M4 or M2. My local gun shop has both and I'm leaning towards the M4 because it is a true military tested gun and will shoot anything compared to the more sensitive loads the M2 will eat. If you could only have one or the other which would it be and why?

Thanks in Advance!

I have a M4, a good buddy of mine is a Fed, he uses an M2. Both are reliable, function well, and shoot most anything. You can't go wrong with either.

I would use either. Both are nice, durable, reliable. I don't think it would matter to me one way or the other which one I would have.

With the M4, is there that much more to clean vs. the M2? I know the military tested it to the extreme to ensure a very low number of failures, even with a gas system. The inertia system from my understanding would not cycle if the gun was pressed up against a wall, too much gear on it, or was held wrong. My understanding is that it will not shoot under powered loads very well if at all, compared to the M4 that will shoot everything.

I would probably get the M2 with a 26" barrel if your a hunter and get an extra 18" barrel for defense or 3 gun events. Most 3 gun shooters use M2's and not M4's. Unless your going to hang stuff on the shotgun there no reason to get the M4. Another reason to get the M4 is the collapsible stock. These are very expensive and difficult to obtain. They WERE real easy to get when many of us bought our M4 11707's. Unless, like me and many others on this board, you just want the same shotgun as the Marines and Navy Seals use.

Hey, I've got a better idea-get both.

I purchased the black M4 from Cabela's for $1,499 but then I also got a $100 gift card which I was not expecting. So overall I think I did pretty well based on the prices I've seen lately.

I shot about 125 rounds today with the M4 (20 - 00buck, 40 - 4 shot, and the rest were 7 1/2 shot) only 2 FTF with the light loads. I figured I need about 200-300 rounds to break the gun in to be more consistant. Great shooting gun! I did notice on the receiver where the shells eject that at the top and bottom of the port the finish has been rubbed off a little from the shells, is this normal? I thought I had seen this in a previous post.

I purchased the black M4 from Cabela's for $1,499 but then I also got a $100 gift card which I was not expecting. So overall I think I did pretty well based on the prices I've seen lately.

I shot about 125 rounds today with the M4 (20 - 00buck, 40 - 4 shot, and the rest were 7 1/2 shot) only 2 FTF with the light loads. I figured I need about 200-300 rounds to break the gun in to be more consistant. Great shooting gun! I did notice on the receiver where the shells eject that at the top and bottom of the port the finish has been rubbed off a little from the shells, is this normal? I thought I had seen this in a previous post.

Congratulations! Yes, the receiver wear is normal. I have both shotguns, and I can tell you from experience that the M4 was definitely the right choice.