20155 18.5 Super Nova Tactical

chestercragwitch

Just ordered one, now I'm looking for accessories and other things.

1.) Is there anyway to add a choke to a smoothie?

2.) Tub extensions, I've seen them extend bass the barrel how does this work. What the max on this gun, with or with out the plug.

3.) Should I add a red dot? I did like the look on my other gun maybe not bad on the shotgun. Is it real benefit or more just in case you need it?

4.) The 3 1/2 00 is better than the 3 1/2 000 for home defense.

5.) Steel shot, fs shot or lead.

I looking to see what other people use it doesn't have to be the best just proven.

Just ordered one, now I'm looking for accessories and other things.

1.) Is there anyway to add a choke to a smoothie?

2.) Tub extensions, I've seen them extend bass the barrel how does this work. What the max on this gun, with or with out the plug.

3.) Should I add a red dot? I did like the look on my other gun maybe not bad on the shotgun. Is it real benefit or more just in case you need it?

4.) The 3 1/2 00 is better than the 3 1/2 000 for home defense.

5.) Steel shot, fs shot or lead.

I looking to see what other people use it doesn't have to be the best just proven.

Why 3 1/2?

I was told to use 3 1/2 but read here that it's the same load as the 23/4. I looked up several sites on the matter and got just as confused it's seams to me that the 2 3/4 000 has less muzzle velocity than the 3 1/2. So the 3 1/2 should be better or maybe more power for bruising my shoulder. I'm not sure just going by the info I have and trying to put it all together.

I have a SuperNova Tactical with the pistol grip and ghost ring sights and the only addition is a Benelli 2-shot extension. If you wanted something with interchangeable chokes I would have went with something other than the SN. As for which buckshot to use for home defense I keep mine loaded with 2 3/4" 00 and as conviced 7 rounds of this will be enough.

For the mag extension, I would look at a "+2" type. Anything beyond that would probably extend beyond the barrel. Nordic Components and Daves Metal Works seems to sell the best mag tube extensions. If you can find a Benelli factory model,great!!! But, good luck. Anyway, a +2 configuration would give you 6 shots in the mag tube (using 2 3/4" and possibly 3" shells), assuming you remove the plug. With the plug installed in a stock tube, I believe the capacity is 2 or 3 shells..depending on the length. With the plug removed, the stock capacity should be 4-2 3/4" and 3" shells and 3-3 1/2" shells.

In terms of HD ammo...I think 3" or more is overkill. For this, 2 3/4" 00-Buck should do just fine. Some also recommend #4 or #7 birdshot. Keep in mind, for home defense purposes, we are talking about less than 25' or so, practically speaking.

As far as the red dot sight goes..depends on whether or not you need it enough to justify the cost. In terms of accessories, personally, I would recommend you check out the following items: Mesa Tactical 4-shot SureShell sidesaddle, Nordic Components +2 extension mag, InSight rail-mounted light w/ remote switch and the Urban E.R.T. hybrid sling. This should, if nothing else, give you an idea of how you may customize your Benelli tactical. Below are some links for you. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

http://www.urbanertslings.com/2point-modular.html

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=56

http://www.opticsplanet.net/insight-technology-m3x-tactical-illuminator.html

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/shotgun-accessories-c-412_458.html?osCsid=3503a35bacfc780bcb1e5aac363e3334

Edited by shotgunNoob

I have a Benelli extension tube that adds three rounds and matches the barrel in length I am trying to get rid of. It includes the spring, tube, barrel clamp all you need is the barrel retaining nut.

I thought the +3 tubes, in terms of an 18.5" barrel, were mainly for the M series Benellis. There doesnt seem to be near enough room on a SN tactical for a +3 tube w/o it extending beyond the barrel. Interesting....

I have a Benelli extension tube that adds three rounds and matches the barrel in length I am trying to get rid of. It includes the spring, tube, barrel clamp all you need is the barrel retaining nut.

That isn't going to fit a SuperNova....no way.

2 shot tube extension....

mag-3.jpg

2 shot tube extension on a 18.5" SuperNova barrel....

mag-4.jpg

Your math doesn't add up.

Well considering it's a Benelli extension and I have had it on a SuperNova Tactical you are wrong. If you knew what you were talking about you would take into consideration the extra room the extended barrel nut adds and where the spring goes. With just the M2 tube added to a SN Tactical I have 6+1 with the other tube it's 7+1 so you do the math ace.

Edited by cody6.0

I thought the +3 tubes, in terms of an 18.5" barrel, were mainly for the M series Benellis. There doesnt seem to be near enough room on a SN tactical for a +3 tube w/o it extending beyond the barrel. Interesting....

The M2 extension tube I used gives me 6+1 and with this tube it is 7+1. Like the math wiz above everyone always forgets to take into account that removing the factory spring retainer adds room as does the tube adapter/barrel nut. These were Benelli original kits for the Tacticals and fit 100% perfect. It is called a two shot extension by some but adds three when using 2 3/4" shells. Here is a generic picture of what I am talking about, I would dig up my own but they are on my other computer. And yes I know that is a Nova but same deal.ben_nova.jpg

There is 19.25" of barrel when measured from the shell follower to the tip of the barrel...and I am being a bit generous....closer to 19" it is.

7 rounds @ 2.75" long, is exactly 19.25".

The numbers leave no room for the shell follower or the compressed spring to exist in the magazine tube along with the shells, assuming the shell length is as stated.

You told me to do the math, I did.

If your rounds are a bit shorter, most are, then yes, you can get 7 rounds in the tube....but 8 rounds in the tube?

I measured a half a dozen different 12 gauge shells (bird, buck, and slugs), all of them were longer than 2.5".

Using a 2.5" shell, 8 of them in the tube makes for 20"....and honestly, it would be more given they are longer than 2.5".

So there we have it.....20+" of shells packed into a 19+" long space (and we still haven't accounted for the spring and shell follower).

Please explain how 8 shells fit in a SN mag tube without the extension extending past the end of the barrel.

Edited by arizona98tj

The M2 extension tube I used gives me 6+1 and with this tube it is 7+1. Like the math wiz above everyone always forgets to take into account that removing the factory spring retainer adds room as does the tube adapter/barrel nut. These were Benelli original kits for the Tacticals and fit 100% perfect. It is called a two shot extension by some but adds three when using 2 3/4" shells. Here is a generic picture of what I am talking about, I would dig up my own but they are on my other computer. And yes I know that is a Nova but same deal.ben_nova.jpg

You said you get 3 rounds in the extension, which would make it 8+1. A 2 round extension gives 7+1, which is what you are claiming you get?

You said you get 3 rounds in the extension, which would make it 8+1. A 2 round extension gives 7+1, which is what you are claiming you get?

I'm a little lost to. I read the whole thread. Did cody say 8+1? I don't think he did. You said that 7+1 would work. isn't that what he said?

I love how easy the people that read my post understand it yet some of you are still lost. The Benelli tube is stated as a +2 but when using 2 3/4" shells you can get 7 in the magazine plus the one in the chamber which equals a total of eight. Just like the M2 tube when used on the SN is listed as a +1 but brings up magazine capacity to 6 when using the same 2 3/4" shells. And arizona98tj the normal capacity of a SN tactical is 4+1.

I love how easy the people that read my post understand it yet some of you are still lost. The Benelli tube is stated as a +2 but when using 2 3/4" shells you can get 7 in the magazine plus the one in the chamber which equals a total of eight. Just like the M2 tube when used on the SN is listed as a +1 but brings up magazine capacity to 6 when using the same 2 3/4" shells. And arizona98tj the normal capacity of a SN tactical is 4+1.

I though that is what you said.

I understand what you are saying as well and will concede your point. I have the Noridic Components +2 mag extension and it will, however, only allow for 6 in the tube (essentially a 6+1) when installed on a SN tactical. This is using 2 3/4" shells. Their +3 unit does indeed extend beyond the barrel. This, as you have stated before, probably is due to the larger nut involved. However, length is length regardless of where the mag tube "starts", in terms of capacity. It is also interesting to note that I am still using the original spring retainer with my set-up. Of course, it is now re-located to the end of the Nordic Tube. I left this retainer on to keep the Nordic spring from scraping against the soft aluminum of the tube. It does not seem to have an effect on capacity, however, as it is a hollow device which simply "shrouds" the spring. I may have lost an 1/8" or so, but this hardly worries me.

Anyway, its also possible that different springs have varying tension/length, thus allowing for possibly one more mag in the tube vs the expected capacity. For instance, I have heard that the +2 mag extensions offered by Tac-Star do actually allow for an increase to 7-2 3/4" shells. This is due to the Tac-Star spring having lighter tension and possibly being shorter in length. The Nordic spring must have greater tension and/or length as it simply will not extend my capacity beyond 6 in the tube, w/o going with the +3 unit...which WILL extend beyong the barrel. This is regardless of shell size. I think it all basically comes down to semantics and tolerances.

Edited by shotgunNoob

The Benelli tubes are just short of flush with the end of the 18.5" barrel. They also use a aluminum tube with a steel endcap the and spring that comes with them is much longer than needed. It's kind of odd that the Nordic won't allow 7 in the magazine so there must be a difference somewhere.

The Benelli tubes are just short of flush with the end of the 18.5" barrel. They also use a aluminum tube with a steel endcap the and spring that comes with them is much longer than needed. It's kind of odd that the Nordic won't allow 7 in the magazine so there must be a difference somewhere.

In my case, Im thinking it may be due to the spring length. The spring that came with it was hella long..45" maybe? I cut it a bit shorter, but left it longer than probably needed as I was afraid of running into FTF issues. Oh well, one short doesnt bother me too much. If 4 rounds of 00-buck, which is what I keep loaded for HD, isnt enough to get the job done, one more round probably wont either!:D

Edited by shotgunNoob

Summary.

To use a stock Nova as an example (not 18.5"), if it holds 3 shells in the fixed factory tube, and a +4 Nordic tube is installed, you will have a 8 shell capacity, 7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.

Overall length of the tube extensions( including the nut):

+2 - 5 3/4 inches

+3 - 8 3/8 inches

+4 - 10 1/8 inches

by the way 79.99 and could possibly need a clamp not sure, but would look good with flashlight surefire out of the question(looks like wally world).

I found a place called briley.com that would add chokes to smooth TS Nova. But not going to gain anything that I can see.

Why would I or anyone need a heat shield ????

So now it's down to` the best HD cartridge, I know essay could be written on this. I still can't find any numbers comparing 2 3/4, 3 & 3 1/2 for velocity,force and drop off at 30 yards.

I think steel shot would have more penetration over traditional shot. Has anyone used the FS steel shot it sounds good?

So far I think 3 1/2 of number 2 steel shot will be the way I go. I did see some kind of dart projectiles you can buy but are probably illegal.

If I put on a pistol grip no butt stock is it still legal or do I need a folding?