M3 Super 90 - HUGELY DISAPPOINTED

glxs

I just bought a M3 Super 90 for $3,000 USD (Guns are expensive in Pakistan due to high customs tariff & import restrictions) and I was so disappointed.

1. The gun malfunctioned a lot in semi auto mode jamming after every two shots.

2. Miss fired.

3. Bolt got jammed.

4. And above all a nasty nasty recoil with almost no control when rapid firing. It almost pounded me to the ground with it's kicks.

I had heard pretty good reviews about this gun and had it specially imported after so muchbureaucratic red tape for acquiring import permits etc. and all this seems like a futile effort and a waste of precious time & money.

I was really looking forward towards enjoying this hunting season with my Benelli but...........:mad:

Im sorry to hear about your negative experience with this shotgun. I would be sick to my stomach in your situation. Have you contacted Benelli regarding these issues? I d*mn sure would!! But....

While I dont own an M3, I was wondering a few things. First, regarding the various malfunctions you spoke of, did you bother to thoroughly clean and lube the weapon when you first acquired it? I have heard that some new weapons, particularly when semi-auto, may have issues such as these if not cleaned/lubed prior to shooting it for the first time. Just a thought.

In terms of the brutal kick, what type of ammo were you using? 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" rounds? Magnum loads? You get the idea.

Im thinking that, in order to get some useful advice from other M3 owners here, more information concerning your issues might be needed. Again, sorry to hear about the bad luck.

Edited by shotgunNoob

Im sorry to hear about your negative experience with this shotgun. I would be sick to my stomach in your situation. Have you contacted Benelli regarding these issues? I d*mn sure would!! But....

While I dont own an M3, I was wondering a few things. First, regarding the various malfunctions you spoke of, did you bother to thoroughly clean and lube the weapon when you first acquired it? I have heard that some new weapons, particularly when semi-auto, may have issues such as these if not cleaned/lubed prior to shooting it for the first time. Just a thought.

In terms of the brutal kick, what type of ammo were you using? 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" rounds? Magnum loads? You get the idea.

Im thinking that, in order to get some useful advice from other M3 owners here, more information concerning your issues might be needed. Again, sorry to hear about the bad luck.

The gun came brand new so carefully checked, assembled it and then lubed it.

Used 2-1/2, 32' Gram (1-80z) Loads. Tried both local and imported rounds just in case but the *#*& recoil was still there.

Did'nt expect any thing like this from Benelli. Sorry to say but it literally felt like I was shooting a $200 USD Maverick.

Also got it disassembled and then reassembled by an experianced gunsmith just in case I had done something wrong, but the jamming and recoil were still there.

Just wondering what game you were going after. Since the M3 is primarily a tactical with fixed cylinder choke. Seems another gun might have been a better choice. Can you exchange the M3 or send it back?

Planning on buying Beretta AL391 Urika 2 now.

Give it a chance! Your gun needs some break in. Even my friend's Winchester SX3 needed some break in before being able to cycle light loads. Shoot some heavy loads in it (not 2½" woman rounds, try some 3"). I'm pretty sure your M3 will cycle heavy loads perfectly. Get it disassembled, dryed, lubed only at friction points or not lubed at all and reassembled. Then shoot again with 3" slugs or buckshot (expect some recoil here) ind if it doesn't cycle, there is really a problem with your gun. For the recoil issue, as a light (7.2lbs) inertia driven non-comfortech 12 gauge shotgun, you can expect some heavy recoil from the M3... Try some aftermarket pads or a pistol grip stock.

Give it a chance! Your gun needs some break in. Even my friend's Winchester SX3 needed some break in before being able to cycle light loads. Shoot some heavy loads in it (not 2½" woman rounds, try some 3"). I'm pretty sure your M3 will cycle heavy loads perfectly. Get it disassembled, dryed, lubed only at friction points or not lubed at all and reassembled. Then shoot again with 3" slugs or buckshot (expect some recoil here) ind if it doesn't cycle, there is really a problem with your gun. For the recoil issue, as a light (7.2lbs) inertia driven non-comfortech 12 gauge shotgun, you can expect some heavy recoil from the M3... Try some aftermarket pads or a pistol grip stock.

I agree with some of what this guy is saying. But, "2 1/2" loads? I assume you mean 2 3/4". Ive never heard of a "2 1/2" load, but Im fairly new to this so...Anyway, Im wondering if you consider anything less than a 3" load to be a "womans round"? Heck, I only shoot 2 3/4" 00-buck loads through my SuperNova Tactical. And these are low-recoil rounds!!! Of course, this has nothing to do with the problem at hand here. Regardless, I think the low-recoil rounds are great due to seemingly less abuse on the gun and greater follow-up shots. This is, IMHO, of particular concern when dealing with a home defense type situation. But again, I realize this has nothing to do with this guys problem. Just thought I would address your comments!:)

Edited by shotgunNoob

I agree with some of what this guy is saying. But, "2 1/2" loads? I assume you mean 2 3/4". Ive never heard of a "2 1/2" load, but Im fairly new to this so...Anyway, Im wondering if you consider anything less than a 3" load to be a "womans round"? Heck, I only shoot 2 3/4" 00-buck loads through my SuperNova Tactical. And these are low-recoil rounds!!! Of course, this has nothing to do with the problem at hand here. Regardless, I think the low-recoil rounds are great due to seemingly less abuse on the gun and greater follow-up shots. This is, IMHO, of particular concern when dealing with a home defense type situation. But again, I realize this has nothing to do with this guys problem. Just thought I would address your comments!

2½ rounds exist in Europe. These are woman rounds :p;). (BTW It's a joke)

Here are 2 companies that make 2½(65mm) shells. You will probably never see a 2½ shell around here.

http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/compcarts-first.html

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products/game/imperial_game_12.cfm

Edited by UNSC_WARRIOR

OK. Very bad customer services.

I called Benelli USA and this very rude lady answered who told me send the firearm to them without even asking what the problem was and then abruptly told me to call Stoeger Firearms Canada.

I called Stoeger Canada and the lady there told me that there was only ONE tech guy for the whole world and he too was out for a WEEK.

What the **** is wrong with these people!

Can you be more specific in the type of malfunctions? "Jamming" is a little too vague.

The shell is not fully seating in the chamber? Not fully ejecting?

What other shotguns have you shot? You mentioned a Maverick. A light shotgun will recoil more than a heavy one. Gas operation helps a little. The Benelli Nova has provisions in the buttstock for adding a recoil buffer that adds weight and helps reduce felt recoil. That might serve you better.

Have you added anything to the shotgun? Some inertia-operated shotguns don't like weight added.

C97

I called Benelli USA and this very rude lady answered who told me send the firearm to them without even asking what the problem was and then abruptly told me to call Stoeger Firearms Canada.

I called Stoeger Canada and the lady there told me that there was only ONE tech guy for the whole world and he too was out for a WEEK.

My experience exactly. Can't get any help from them. Great guns, poor service. "Benelli -- Simply Imperfect!" Love my gun, but am disappointed with the customer service. They certainly need to do better. The word is going to get out about this situation and hurt their sales eventually. I regret this. They have a wonderful product... they should back it up with wonderful customer service!!!

Edited by MontefeltroPro

I don't get it. You said in your first post that you bought the gun in Pakistan. Why are you calling Benelli USA? Benelli USA is just that ... USA! It's my understanding that Benelli USA does not ship outside the US. You need to contact whomever sells Benelli products in Pakistan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought a M3 Super 90. I at first tried firing low recoil 00 buck through it. Every 3rd or 4th round would stovepipe. I then sent a box of slug downrange. After that the shotgun cycles perfectly fine even with low recoil bird shot. It's nice to empty 8 rounds in less than 5 seconds! Of course, my shoulder takes a beating. But the gun is exactly what I was expecting. I'd strongly recommend it.

It might surprise a lot of people but even big outfits like H&K only have 2 techs in the USA, one for commercial and one military and law enforcement!