M4 replacement bolt handle

salsantini

My buddy runs a GG&G bolt release on his Benelli M4. When he came and took a class from me, he was having problems.

We tracked it to the back side of the front of the extended bolt pad touching the receiver. We took it off and the gun ran flawlessly. Put it back on and he had jams.

I removed material from the back of the pad a bit at a time, using trial and error, until it functioned perfectly.

That's been about a year ago. I called GG&G and talked to one of their engineers and explained the problem to them. Not sure if he just got a bad one, or if it was a flaw in the design. If so, hopefully GG&G has fixed it.

I have the GG&G one and never had any problems in my M1014.

How hard have you run your gun?

The one I had was way too soft, it bent if hit with any type of force at all, it was a piece of junk. The metal was just not hard enough. What's worse, it rotates, making it harder to charge the BCG with a less than perfect grip.

The PMT one is solid as a rock, made of titanium, diamondblack coated, has a more aggressive grip, and is NON ROTATIONAL. It's hands down a better unit.

My $.02

YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, just received one as well. They are nice although I would have liked a bit more attention to the inside color within the handle. While the outside is a perfect black, the inside is not really covered well and raw Ti is visible.

That said, it is definitely a lot more comfortable and easy to use.

Guest cleefurd

Curious what folks prefer... Rotating or non-rotating Benelli M4 bolt handles?? Two schools of thought from what I gather.

The OEM means of securing involves 3 straight flutes at 120 degree intervals on the end of the inserted stem, which prevent rotation while in bolt, to ease removal you rotate 60 deg either direction to a mid-point high spot, and pull out.

Problem with the above "affix" combined with an oversize knurled hollow "spool" is that the torque from finger friction when charging and releasing can cause it to inadvertaintly index to a high spot and fall out, especially with "hi-grip" combat gloves on.

The rotating knob of similar external appearance is very hard to remove due to not having the 3 high spots at the peak of each flute, but at least it won't ever be inadvertaintly dismantled.

I guess some people like a knob that will roll out and into battery by merely relaxing the charging finger, while others find this almost passive "slick" release robs them of positive control. Their are many wpns systems world-wide, in practically every spectrum from small arms to crew served that employ both types of charging mech/controls.

It would be interesting to hear what people prefer for the M4. I make them for the military, and contractors(not currently mainstream to the public) in the free rotational style, but the index/fluted variety is something I have about 30 of shelved from a prototype run. (We also have 15-20 of the free rotating ones too) They are knurled and hollow titanium just like the ones at Brownells, coated with Cerakote to a dead-ringer match for parkerizing. They were made on a CNC screw machine about 3 years ago before anyone I'm aware of was selling them. Heck we never new civilian demand would become so prevalent. I can say that they are all inspected and fit perfectly, as well as having no flaws. I just keep them around for samples when a purchasing agent requires a sample.

That stuff is beside the point I guess. My main question is; Which configuration do civilian M4 owners tend to prefer overall. Consider this a poll of sorts.

I far and away prefer the non rotating.

The PMT one comes out just like the stock one, you twist it 60 degrees or so like you said and it pops out with ease. If you don't twist it, it is nearly impossible to pull out. I am yet to even remotely twist the bolt handle by accident, thus accidently popping out the bolt handle.

With my GG&G, it would spin around all day, and it would pull out very easily at any time. It never became an issue, it's just clearly an inferior system from what I can see.

As far as actually being used to charge the weapon, the non rotational style wins. It's easier to grab and pull something that doesnt spin, rather than one that wants to spin around and slip out of your finger.

Guest cleefurd

Non-rotating is what I have on my personal M4 as well. Now on a competition AR with a bolt carrier mounted knob, I prefer a rotating one since it is almost always used (in match rifle shooting) to simply act as a bolt release 3 times during rapid fire, and each shot during slow fire stages. A shotgun's knob on the other hand typically gets used in more "random" fashion, hot loading, strong or weak hand, from so many positions that in some cases the act of racking it occasionally is part of the overall intended grasp, and muzzle control. THAT is why I concur on the non rotating bolt. Wish I could convince supply clerks and PWS OIC's of that on a regular basis.

Guest cleefurd

Our product samples are in our warehouse, which we intend to retrieve the day after Christmas. That day coincides with a Cerakote app day (when we'll be coating more mag tubes). I will take photos then, and would love to post them. Thanks for the inquiry.

Guest cleefurd

To address the requests for pictures, and ordering details, we will be posting to our underdeveloped:o online store that we had been neglecting while we focused on govt orders.... now's as good a time as any it seems. We will update this post when that has taken place... soon!