M4 Tube Question/Problem

ChrisAK

I recently purchased an extended one piece tube for the M4. I attempted to replace the one that came stock with the gun, but was unable to loosen it. Are these pinned in some way that can't be seen, or are they simply held in place with locktite? Do I need to take this to a gunsmith?

Has anyone else had this problem?? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Here are the needed steps:

1) - Unscrew barrel retaining cap, pull off barrel.

2) - Plug in heat gun, turn on

3) - See that octagon shaped piece of the reciver that the barrel tube screws into? That's the target

4) - ROAST IT

5) - Unscrew the stock tube with ease.

If my memory serves me correctly, the stock tube is held in place with GREEN loctite, which is in between blue and red in the strength department.

Burn the heck out of it, you won't mar the gun, and it takes a considerable amount of heat to melt the green loctite.

Again, in case I somehow havent been clear, heat up the hexagon receiver base that the tube threads into, not just the tube itself.

The simple hair dryer trick just didnt work for me. LOL

I bought a heat gun, stuck the gun in a vise and used oven mitts on the sides of the receiver. Ove Glove on one hand and kitchen oven mitt on the other. After about 2-3 min with Heat gun on high you will see the green loctite smoking off the tube. Just turns right off.

I have installed about 8 of them for other people. All using SOCOMguys tube. Great product!

Once you turn the old tube off. U can still use the heat gun to burn the old loctite off the receiver and simply use a tooth brush to scrub it out. I let the receiver cool down before applying loctite to the new tube. To be honest your receiver isnt going to heat up that much from shooting it enough to where the tube will unscrew it self. I used blue loctite because it's what I had on hand. You could use red as well, but you would just need the heat gun again if you wanted to take the tube back off for some reason.

Here are the needed steps:

1) - Unscrew barrel retaining cap, pull off barrel.

2) - Plug in heat gun, turn on

3) - See that octagon shaped piece of the reciver that the barrel tube screws into? That's the target

4) - ROAST IT

5) - Unscrew the stock tube with ease.

If my memory serves me correctly, the stock tube is held in place with GREEN loctite, which is in between blue and red in the strength department.

Burn the heck out of it, you won't mar the gun, and it takes a considerable amount of heat to melt the green loctite.

Again, in case I somehow havent been clear, heat up the hexagon receiver base that the tube threads into, not just the tube itself.

I don't know about "ease", but I did accomplish it bare handed. I roasted the living **** out of it. +1, you won't hurt the weapon.

I didn't have a need for a heat gun so I just used a propane torch, that I felt I can use again in the future (at least the propane tube itself matches my baby q).

I was paranoid so I stripped out everything, barrel, bolt, stock, etc. This was unnecessary, but at least let me see what was going on.

+ 1 on aiming at that hex bolt right where the screw threads go in.

Ventilation is good for the burning loctite.

Working gloves or mitts were enough. A lot of forums say a strap wrench, but they can leave residue given the heat. It's more important to burn the loctite off, rather than just heat up the loctite till it's loose enough to try twisting the barrel.

The Socomguy's tube has a knob on one end, that's the end that you screw into the receiver. If you reverse it by accident, it will screw in, but you won't be able to push the barrel fully into the receiver.

DO NOT HEAT THE FACTORY TUBE

You are only making it swell with the heat.

The receiver is your target. it took very little heat for me to unscrew mine.

Also, have the replacement handy, screw it in there while its still hot and it will hold bette.

Before you ask, heat from a heatgun wont damage the finish at all.

Having just replaced my factory-installed magazine tube:

As already mentioned you have to heat it. I monitored the receiver's temperature with an IR thermometer and the tube broke loose at 250 degrees F.

That's not terribly hot, a hair dryer will probably suffice.

Once you remove the old tube any remaining locking agent in the receiver threads will be soft and is easily removed with just a soft cloth or you may need to pick out a few pieces with whatever you have on hand. It was slightly hard but didn't adhere to either the tube or receiver.

C97