benelli recoil

ovid300

Why do so many people say that benellis have too much recoil for a sporting gun when benelli claims that they are the softest kicking guns on the market?

I think there is a fair amount of hype on the part of Benelli that sets some unreasonable expectations. The literature says that the engineers have created the "softest kicking shotgun on earth". The comparisons are made to other shotguns in the SBE "Class", but they don't say if they are comparing it to inertial or gas designs. All in all I think its more do to expectations. Afterall, its a "shotgun", and describing recoil as "soft" just doesn't seem to fit. If you shoot a 12 gauge, you're going to feel it.

I'm sorry gentlmen, your mistaken.

Weight has nothing to do with recoil. It has to do with recoil distribution.

Take the M16 and USAS-12 which I have owned and the light weight doesn't compare at all with recoil.

Now take the M14 and M1 Garrand with heavy weight and the recoil is more noticable.

Cartridge size doesn't matter either. It's all in how the recoil is distributed with bolt, travel distance, spring loading, mechanical operations, etc.

Guest Serial Crusher

As far as recoil on an inertia driven shotgun the Benellis are in fact pretty tame. If you know someone who has one, try firing a Browning Auto-5, the recoil on them is punishing, even with birdshot. Most of them also lack a butt pad of any kind.

Benelli shotguns don't seem to be that much lighter than other gas shotguns like the Rem. 1100 or brownings.

So you are telling me that the inertia system flat out kicks more and Benellis aren't the softest kicking shotguns? How can Benelli misrepresent their product like that?

Thanks for all the imput

Don't forget the "ComforTech" system. I've shot wood-stocked ID guns next to my SS and "felt"recoil is less (in my opinion) with "ComforTech". They seem to spread the recoil-impulse over a longer time making it feel softer (I agree with Conny; this isn't recoil reduction it's recoil "spreading").

Take the M16 and USAS-12 which I have owned and the light weight doesn't compare at all with recoil.

Now take the M14 and M1 Garrand with heavy weight and the recoil is more noticable.

Cartridge size doesn't matter either. It's all in how the recoil is distributed with bolt, travel distance, spring loading, mechanical operations, etc.

Well, it all depends on how you define "recoil". If you define recoil as the "velocity" that the gun kicks back at, then there will be more kick with a lighter gun. PERIOD.

This is nothing more than highschool physics, conservation of momentum. MV=mv. In other words, the mass*velocity of the shot = the mass*velocity of the gun. Lower gun mass gives greater velocity of the gun.

Now, if you define "recoil" as something different, then I don't know . . .

But all things being equal, a heavier gun will have less felt recoil. Are you disputing that?

Let's take 2 weapons of the same .50 calibre BMG.

The standard M2 .50 Cal machine gun is very heavy. If I remember correctly, it weighs about 85 lbs. minus the T&E unit. Have you ever shot one? Do you think you could single fire at the shoulder the M2 without damaging your shoulder. Of course we will use C10250 version of recoil meaning velocity kick back. Needless to say, it has tremendous velocity kick back due to its use of the velocity kick back on the buffer spring to compress and release the energy forward to force the carrier forward to strip a round from the belt for chambering. So its heavy weight doesn't help much.

Now take the Barret Light fifty. Weighs 26 lbs. and you can shoulder fire it all day long. I have. The velocity kick back should be worse according to you because the barret is lighter. Same type round. The difference is how the velocity kick back is absorbed by the fuctions of the carrier sliding back, bolt disengagement from lugs, carrier sliding back, buffer spring compression and release of energy to strip a round from the magazine into the chamber.

Yes, these are 2 extreme examples.

Better yet, take any .50 BMG semi auto on the market today and and you will find they are heavier and the velocity kick back is more than the Barret.

How about any Benelli compared to the USAS-12 or even the AA-12? Even if weight is the same, velocity kick back is less.

How about the HK-91 and M1A? I have owned both and the M1A is lighter but velocity kick back is less.

Other than the M16/AR15, name me a heavier 5.56 weapon you would put against your crotch and pull the trigger. HK93? No way. FAMAS? Nope. Styer AUG? Nyet. Valmet? Nine. Yes, as a Drill Seargent in the Army, that was part of my demonstration to the recruits.

After shooting virtually every modern semi auto and full auto in various calibres on the planet, lighter weapon does not mean more velocity kick back into the shoulder.

Nuff of this post.

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot SBEs and they don't kick like my Browning pump which is considerably heavier and is truly brutal with 3 1/2" max dram turkey loads, but I only noticed it when patterning. If you feel it is excessive you can send it to Magna Port. But you may not be happy with that either. I did that with my BPS and while it didn't cut the recoil very much it almost totally stopped the muzzle rise allowing very fast flollow-up shots, but now with max dram loads it pounds my cheekbone worse than it used to pound my shoulder. I just bought an SBE 2 but haven't shot max drams with it yet, I doubt I'll have it ported. Yet with the comfort-tech comb pads or optional raised comb pads it may be OK.

Benelli's kick worse than a gas gun like Beretta. I started shooting Benelli's along time ago-1993. The Comfort Tech Stock and the New Recoil Pads help a lot. We used to just slap a Kick-eez pad on them.

Benelli's will run longer without cleaning than a gas gun and are far easier to clean.

Felt recoil on a gas gun feels less to the shooter and that's what we're talking about- felt recoil.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently saw an old video on YouTube filmed at the Benelli factory showing an employee measuring the recoil of a SBE II, a Browning Gold Hunter, and a Remington 11-87. He attached a piezoelectric pressure sensor on the recoil pad of all three shotguns and the SBE II registered the fewest Newtons on the scale.

That got me to thinkin. Just about everyone I talk to says a gas gun will recoil less than a recoil operated one. So, I'm gonna find out for myself. A buddy at work has a Browning Gold Hunter chambered in 3.5 and I have a SBE II. According to Benelli's video, the SBE II has 30% less recoil firing 3.5 inch roman candles than the Browning Gold Hunter. So, I'm gonna shoot some 2 3/4, 3, and 3.5 inch shells side by side in both guns to see what my shoulder tells me. I'll try and get a few other guys to shoot em too just for sake of comparison. If anyone is interested, I'll post the results in this forum here in a couple weeks.