Scope blew off of my SBEII

njpddet

Oh yea...Im pissed. Cabelas put on a brand new Nikon Slug Hunter 3 x 9 scope on my brand new SBEII Slug gun. After two days on the range and crapload of slugs (and cash spent on the slugs), the weaver base blew right off of the gun which was being fired on a lead sled. The scope blew to the ground. It is now at a gunsmiths getting fixed. Anyone have a similar incident happen? Any suggestions on why it happened. Once I find out the cause, Cabelas will be called. I am a GOOOOOOD customer with them. Any suggestions on the proper way to handle the situation would also be appeciated. Dave...broken hearted with little time before the season starts.

I couldn't possibly offer an explanation as to what happened, because you have failed to provide enough information to determine the cause of the failure.

Were base or ring screws stripped?

Did the rings come apart or did the base come off?

I mount all of my own optics, because I realize that the best sporting goods store can at any time have the worst employees.

I had the same thing happen to me i had see thur mounts and the first day hunting the scope hit me in the face , the 11-87was drilled and tapped for weaver mounts and rings .

I had talked to some people before that told me it wouldn,t hold up unless i went with the cantellever barrel i think they were right .

I took the gun the scope and mounts and traded for a M2 field that shoots high out of the box and i have never had any browning whip me like this gun does .

With luck they just used too short of screws. I have bedded the base with marinetex, including the screws when threads are bad. The only other option is to retap w/next larger screws and then enlarging the base holes. There is alot of metal on SBE's, the 11-87 mentioned is thin a base screws and only gives two threads w/48 thread screw. SBE's get 4 or 5 threads.

Most likely the screws supplied with the bases. The SBE/II slug barrel receiver has a height increase along the grooved sighting plane as you get closer to the barrel. I went back to my gun shop and they gave me longer screws which I had to trim.

Oh yea...Im pissed. Cabelas put on a brand new Nikon Slug Hunter 3 x 9 scope on my brand new SBEII Slug gun. After two days on the range and crapload of slugs (and cash spent on the slugs), the weaver base blew right off of the gun which was being fired on a lead sled. The scope blew to the ground. It is now at a gunsmiths getting fixed. Anyone have a similar incident happen? Any suggestions on why it happened. Once I find out the cause, Cabelas will be called. I am a GOOOOOOD customer with them. Any suggestions on the proper way to handle the situation would also be appeciated. Dave...broken hearted with little time before the season starts.

I would think you would have taken the problem to Cabelas before taking to a Smith? Hope Cabelas takes care of ya! Common problem with scope installation is that most do not know the proper way to do it! Easy job can be messed up really fast by cutting corners and lack of knowledge!:eek: as if it took that much?:D Proper torque values for the bases & rings can be found from their manufacturers!

Edited by HOGWILD