Benelli M4 Flashlight & Optic Mods

sneakerfreak602

I have recently aquired an M4 and would like to make some further modifications. At this point I have a pistol grip, collapsable stock on the way from a forum member(props to chromegsxr2002), and full mag capacity. I use my M4 mostly as a primary home defense weapon along with my H&K 40 cal Compact with night sights and hi caps for back up. I spend a good amount of range time with my M4 and being in Arizona we also like to go desert shooting.

My ? are as follows:

1 What type of weapon mounted flashlight would you recomend for the M4?

2 As far as an Optic goes I was looking at an Eotech 512 but am unsure what would be best for my situation.

I am thinking about getting night sights for my ghost rings either in conjuction or as an alternative to the optic.

Thanks in advance your input is appreciated.

Edited by sneakerfreak602

Meh.

While I love eotechs, I'm probably never putting one back on my m4. It is too high to use with the full LOP.

My next shotgun optic will almost surely be an aimpoint micro t1 in low profile larue mount

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=149

as can be seen here in low mount config.

T1_Profiles_copy.jpg

People also use

511 eotechs (smallest), irondots

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=68

etc there are a few options, the problem with eotechs is they are a little high for full length stock usage while maintaining a cheek weld, and if you use the collapsible stock in mid position it is a bit low, which is where it's nice to use an eotech with a 1/4 inch high mount, like I used.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=13

Lots of options, do your research, I'd suggest shooting your gun quite a bit before you go spending $500 on an optic that may not be right for you.

Duggan & Lakotah Thank you for you input on the different optic options. I will look into the aimpoint with low mount as well as the Burres when I go to my local shop.

Duggan it sounds like the only way I could use an eotech is with my collapsable in mid position and be comfortable? You recomend the511 model over the 512 for my M4 usage? I heard the 511 needs to be rezeroed if you take it off or something ? Really like the eotech holo image (espcially if it gets mudded or blocked as on ther website) are the others the same type image or red dot type setup?

Do you guys think at this point it would be more fiting to get ghost ring night sights and spend my money on a weapon mounted flashlight? If so any recomendation on a light and night sights( I just know of the mepro).

Edited by sneakerfreak602

I run the Aimpoint H1 with the Larue mount on my Benelli M4 for duty. Cant beat it. Small lightweight, very well made. The only difference between the T1 and H1 are the T1 you can use NVG's and it can be submerged in 35 feet of water compared to 15 for the H1. The Aimpoint's battery life is 5 years continous on.

I used to run an Eotech on my SWAT Rock River, but IMHO the Aimpoint cant be beat. Go with that and a good light and your good to go.

Duggan & Lakotah Thank you for you input on the different optic options. I will look into the aimpoint with low mount as well as the Burres when I go to my local shop.

Duggan it sounds like the only way I could use an eotech is with my collapsable in mid position and be comfortable? You recomend the511 model over the 512 for my M4 usage? I heard the 511 needs to be rezeroed if you take it off or something ? Really like the eotech holo image (espcially if it gets mudded or blocked as on ther website) are the others the same type image or red dot type setup?

Do you guys think at this point it would be more fiting to get ghost ring night sights and spend my money on a weapon mounted flashlight? If so any recomendation on a light and night sights( I just know of the mepro).

The mount is the same on all classic eotechs (newer models have built in dual throw levers and are 1/4 higher), it's a thumbscrew type of 1913 mount. None of these will maintain a true zero if taken off and put back on. A larue mount will. For a shotgun it's not that important, but still helps.

Honestly, you don't NEED a red dot on your shotgun. If you shoot it enough, you will just be able to aim and squeeze off. I generally dont even look through my sites half the time, I just know where the gun is pointed and look at my target while in the general area of the sites. If they line up, great, if not I still know what I'm hitting. This obviously is not a good idea for longer range shots, but for up to 40 yards you can pretty much tag whatever you want using this method, and it's a shotgun, not a .308.

That being said, a red dot certainly helps in certain situations and certain types of shooting.

I've never used night sights, but I've been told to only get the front sight if I was ever to get them, as the rear sight I guess can be too bright and destroy your night vision/perception, as it's this big green dot right in front of your eye that makes everything else look dark. Again, you'd have to test it out to see what works for you.

IMO, you've already got the gun, full length tube and collapsible stock ... flashlights aren't gonna get banned and neither are optics. You can get both, it's just a matter of which you want first.

Don't use LaRue with the M4 rail unless you like wasting lots of money. Benelli's rail eats the LaRue as it is not M1913 spec.

+1 on the Fastfire/ DR / other mini reddots. They work well and sit very low, just mount it with something other than LaRue. LaRue makes great stuff, it's just M1913 spec :)

Edited by Unobtanium

Would these dot systems be the same or similiar as the one that is accompied by new Sig 556 pistol that is on its way from Flordia?

Really would like flashlight answers and some pics if possible. Thanks

I would run something LED for sure. Just about any quality LED would work. LED's are not sensitive to shock nearly as much as incans. DO NOT run a shock isolated bezel with LED either, it does nothing for you but cut down on heat transfer to the flashlight---which is what you want. LED's need to get rid of heat ASAP, and a metal bezel is mandatory imho, WITHOUT shock isolation.

• 2 weeks later...

I jst wanted to update everyone that I ended up going with a tlr-2 light laser combo mounted on a Laserlyte tri rail mount. I really like the idea of the laser for aiming with the stock fully collapsed. The light seems extremly bright and the laser is very visible even in the desert sun. Have not went shooting yet but will report back a reveiw on range and desert shooting. In my opinion this thing would make an intruder s**t themself.Thanks for all the help guys.