Sidearmor M4 Rail

Duggan

Apparently they finished the system they have been working on for ages.

http://www.sidearmor.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=46

benelli.jpg

I may just get one of these ... weighing my options and needs atm.

If this has been posted before I apologize, but this is the first I have seen of a completed unit being available.

• 1 month later...
As finicky as the M4's are, you start hanging a bunch of stuff off of it, it might not like it. LOL

The m4 is "finicky"? News to me. The m4 was specifically made TO hang "a bunch of stuff" off of.

That being said, I still am curious in one of these, but other things are a higher priority right now ... 12 gauge rails aren't gonna get banned, lots of other stuff likely is.

The m4 is "finicky"? News to me. The m4 was specifically made TO hang "a bunch of stuff" off of.

That being said, I still am curious in one of these, but other things are a higher priority right now ... 12 gauge rails aren't gonna get banned, lots of other stuff likely is.

Duggan, correct me if I am wrong, but I have been told by more than one person that if you get too much weight on the M4 it may not cycle properly, have I been given some mis-information?

Duggan, correct me if I am wrong, but I have been told by more than one person that if you get too much weight on the M4 it may not cycle properly, have I been given some mis-information?

Ummm, the ARGO system was specifically developed to allow the use of heavy optics/grips/rails etc. It is the inertia system that can fail when too much weight is added to the gun ... so basically you have it backwards, but don't take my word for it.

Here is what Benelli has to say:

"A combat shotgun has to function the first time, every time. The Benelli M4 does it for the U.S. military, and now can be the centerpiece of your own home defense plan. Troops who fight day and night need heavy accessories like night vision scopes. The combined additional weight of these optics and other accessories is not a problem for the M4. Benelli engineers developed and patented a unique auto regulating gas operated (ARGO) system. Dual stainless steel self-cleaning pistons located just ahead of the chamber operate directly against the proven rotating bolt and eliminate the need for complex linkages found on other gas autos. The result, Marine-tough reliability under the harshest environmental conditions."

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this....but after you attach all the stuff to the rails ,and transform it into a Swiss Army knife shotgun will there be enough room available to bolt on the axle and wheels so it can be transported ? Give me a good sling & flashlight ,and I'm happy. if I have a tacticool moment I may add a 3.7 oz. Aimpoint Micro T-1. I'm not knocking any products its just my point of view. It reminds me of the current fad with the AR-15's. Such as taking a nice light weight carbine ,and turning it into a 20 pound behemoth.

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this....but after you attach all the stuff to the rails ,and transform it into a Swiss Army knife shotgun will there be enough room available to bolt on the axle and wheels so it can be transported ? Give me a good sling & flashlight ,and I'm happy. if I have a tacticool moment I may add a 3.7 oz. Aimpoint Micro T-1. I'm not knocking any products its just my point of view. It reminds me of the current fad with the AR-15's. Such as taking a nice light weight carbine ,and turning it into a 20 pound behemoth.

I hear you and agree to some extent ... that's why I don't like shell carriers, in addition to the fact that they only add weight to one side.

All I really want is a vertical forward grip, thus the need for a bottom rail, and a side mounted light, thus the need for a side rail.

The only reason I'm really interested in the top rail is that it is actually picatinny spec, which the stock m4 rail is not, and that it would allow me to mount an aimpoint t1 a little further forward than normal, which is ideal for cheekweld purposes.

The m4 is already a heavy weapon ... IMO the extra weight of maybe another point for a railed handguard/foregrip is easily alleviated by the VFG ... I find that guns with VFGs feel much lighter and easier to hold in firing position, even if they are actually a bit heavier.

Ummm, the ARGO system was specifically developed to allow the use of heavy optics/grips/rails etc. It is the inertia system that can fail when too much weight is added to the gun ... so basically you have it backwards, but don't take my word for it.

Thanks for the clarification Duggan, I guess I did have it backwards.

Duggan, If a T1 wont fit the stock M4 rail what are my options aside from the above pics ? Is anyone making a replacement picatinny spec. part ? The reason I'm not a fan of heavy shoulder weapons is I was a M-60 gunner while I was in the Army. I must have carried that beast at least 50 thousand miles.

The sidearmor rails and I beleive the mesa tactical side saddle rails are 1913 spec. The problem isn't that the t1/others don't fit or work, it's that it isn't a precise fit ... the mount is only grabbing a tiny bit of the benelli rail, so if any force at all is put on the optic, like a sudden impact, it can shear off the mount from the rail and basically skim off the bottom of the mount ... I have done it, so has member unobtanium here, both with larue mounts which are the best in the industry.

Your options for red dots, IMO, are an aimpoint t1, eotech, irondot/docter/pride fowler/jpoint, or some other takeoff of those 3. Unless you are shooting with a collapsible stock that is partially of fully collapsed, you want the lowest optic possible ... refer to this pic for the t1:

T1_Profiles_copy.jpg

If I was to get another red dot, and I will at some point, it is most definitely going to be a t1. I'll just have to deal with the rail however I can at that time.

OK the factory Benelli rail will not work correctly with a T1 but a LaRue rail will. correct ? I'm having one of those days so dont mind me if I seem a bit dense.

I must not be explaining it well.

The rail that is attached to the receiver of the m4 is NOT 1913 picatinny spec, aka "mil spec". It is close, and thus you can get away with using mounts that are made for mil-spec rails, but it is not optimal or nearly as strong.

Ideally, you would replace the rail on the receiver with one that is mil-spec (I dunno why it's not from the factory, maybe they all use these bootleg rails in italy?) and then you could use a mil-spec mount without having to worry about it.

As it stands though, the rail on the benelli receiver is "shorter and stubbier" than a 1913 rail ... it's only tall enough to engage just the lower half to quarter of the optic mounts perpendicular "holder slot" that is designed to go fully into the rail and thus prevent front the back movement.

The result is that you have an optic that can/will clamp onto the rail, but it is holding on by a much smaller margin than is intended. As such, it is much weaker than it was designed to be. It is VERY possible to jolt your optic, snag something, or even shoot enough heavy rounds that your optic mount will become damaged.

As previously mentioned, I have beat up a larue tactical eotech mount from this fashion (it was a major wtf at the time as I didn't realize the rails weren't the right spec) and other members on this board have also stripped and ruined optic mounts from putting them on the m4 rail.

So, to answer your question, you CAN use whatever optic mount you want on the stock m4 rail ... it's just a matter of how strong your optic will be held on, and what damage will occur when you start to use your weapon heavily.

Meh, might as well take pics.

Here you go, I made a nice big thread based on your question :)

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?p=100719&posted=1#post100719

Edited by Duggan

• 7 years later...
http://asgarddefense.com/

Is what I've found. Jeff is making them now. He was making the sidearmor till he sold the holster part. Email him and he's good about contacting you.

I looked at the webpage and didn't see the modified M4 (M115), did they stop making them?

[video=youtube;YzP-Lak4BG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzP-Lak4BG8

Edited by Retired
added a link