12 Gauge Door Breaching Ammo

NTSOS

Your opinions please.........would this type of ammo be a good or bad choice as it relates to an alternative round for home defense usage in an M4?

As it states below, it seems to be well suited for minimizing the potential damage to the rest of the neighborhood.

"This ammo is manufactured by A.L.S. Technologies, the leading producer of tactical 12 Gauge Ammo. This ammo contains a 325gr. compressed copper hollow cavity slug. When this slug is fired into a solid object the compressed copper explodes, causing extensive damage to the object. It is used to blow hinges and locks off of wood and steel doors. The slug turns back to a copper powder after it explodes into the target to minimize the danger of injuring someone on the other side of the door. This is military and law enforcement grade door breaching rounds. They are 2 3/4" rounds."

Thanks!

John

I would highly doubt its lethal and would not use it for home defense. The round will break into sand like matertial when it comes in contact with something . If your worried about the rest of the neighborhood use #4 shot instead of 00. Federal make some great #4 for home defense.

http://sgcusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_75&products_id=550

Edited by sneakerfreak602

I would highly doubt its lethal and would not use it for home defense. The round will break into sand like matertial when it comes in contact with something . If your worried about the rest of the neighborhood use #4 shot instead of 00. Federal make some great #4 for home defense.

Hi sf,

Ok, thanks for your recommedation........I'll get #4 as well.

BTW, here is what ALS states in their technical spec pdf:

Performance Characteristics

Effect on Target:

When fired, the projectile produces up to 1733 foot

pounds of energy to the lock, hinge or hard surface being struck.

The DOOR BREACHER is extremely destructive and lethal when

fired at living tissue.

John

• 3 months later...

I have to admit that these are absolutley lethal. I shot a few rounds goofing off to see what it can do.

1. It will very effective blow the hinges of a door (In my case 2 1/4 in oak) not sure about steel, but I would be suprised if it did not.

2. I shot it though a 6x6 piece of pine at 20 yards (center mass) and it went right though with a nice little circle on the front and 3x the size on the back.

3. Shot another 6x6 piece of pine at close range and again through and through.

It did take two shots on the dead bolt the first penetrated and made a general mess of the lock, but there were still remnants holding the door closed. (to note, the door was basically hanging off and could easily be kicked in on the first shot) But I am note sure if my shot placement was the problem. (I shot the wood in between the door striker plate and the knob)

Just FYI. I was suprised about the accuracy at 20 yards.

I have to admit that these are absolutley lethal. I shot a few rounds goofing off to see what it can do.

1. It will very effective blow the hinges of a door (In my case 2 1/4 in oak) not sure about steel, but I would be suprised if it did not.

2. I shot it though a 6x6 piece of pine at 20 yards (center mass) and it went right though with a nice little circle on the front and 3x the size on the back.

3. Shot another 6x6 piece of pine at close range and again through and through.

It did take two shots on the dead bolt the first penetrated and made a general mess of the lock, but there were still remnants holding the door closed. (to note, the door was basically hanging off and could easily be kicked in on the first shot) But I am note sure if my shot placement was the problem. (I shot the wood in between the door striker plate and the knob)

Just FYI. I was suprised about the accuracy at 20 yards.

Interesting.......what was left of the round?

Thanks! :)

John

With the door, nothing.

With the pine 6x6, I had a. 6x4 behind it that looked like it was dented with a baseball bat. The back of the 6x6 had grey powder and plastic and woodchip mash that looked like it was packed in there very well.

I

I would highly doubt its lethal and would not use it for home defense.

Although it isn't the most accurate projectile around and it's not a primary choice for defense, the round is VERY LETHAL. The Breacher, if faced with a Tango, as he approaches the door or while in position can effectively use a breaching round to engage the Tango and neutralize it.

Mg

http://sgcusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_75&products_id=550

If it didn't prove effective, 100%, meaning the intended target is no longer breathing or doing anything else. The lawyers would be lining up to take your home, car and everything you will ever own the rest of your life in the insuing lawsuit. In "normal" home defense distances though, just about anything coming out of a 12 gauge bore at standard velocity wil leave nothing but a bloody rat hole, with a lot of what use to be inside leaking outside.

I'm not saying it wouldn't do some damage to soft tissue, I just wouldnt perfer to use it in home defense situation when you have the better choices of 00 buck or #4 shot if you are really concerned about over penetration. Alisske I appreciate your post on your door breaching rounds and always like to see a fellow members actual reviews. Gentlemen, the legal stuff as stated by geneleo is something I hope none of us ever have to face.

I'm not saying it wouldn't do some damage to soft tissue, I just wouldnt perfer to use it in home defense situation when you have the better choices of 00 buck or #4 shot if you are really concerned about over penetration. Alisske I appreciate your post on your door breaching rounds and always like to see a fellow members actual reviews. Gentlemen, the legal stuff as stated by geneleo is something I hope none of us ever have to face.

AMEN!!!!!!!

If it didn't prove effective, 100%, meaning the intended target is no longer breathing or doing anything else. The lawyers would be lining up to take your home, car and everything you will ever own the rest of your life in the insuing lawsuit. In "normal" home defense distances though, just about anything coming out of a 12 gauge bore at standard velocity wil leave nothing but a bloody rat hole, with a lot of what use to be inside leaking outside.

I'd rather be judged by twelve in a box than carried by six in a box.