Any good ideas for removing scuffs from barrel exterior?

shotgunNoob

I have noticed some scuff marks/indentations left behind on the barrel and mag tube extension of my SN tactical (black), after using a barrel/mag tube clamp. Now, I can somewhat minimize these marks by applying a fresh coat of lubricant. But, this is only a temporary fix. I am looking for something a bit more effective. Any suggestions?

Now, Im not overly concerned about this as Im sure there will be many more blemishes in my shotguns future. After all, I bought it to shoot...not to put under glass. And I realize that the downside of add-ons/bolt-ons is that they tend to be less than kind to various finishes. But, it would still be interesting to know if any "fixes" are available for minor scuffs or scratches such as those mentioned earlier. Thanks again.

Have you seen the silicone based tapes that are out now? They have no adhesives, are self-bonding only to themselves, withstand 500 degree temps, and stretch 3 times their length. I'm thinking that a wrap of that tape before you put the clamp on may prevent any scratches. I've used this tape and I bet that if the clamp doen't cut through it, it'll prevent those scratches and not affect the hold of the clamp.

Have you seen the silicone based tapes that are out now? They have no adhesives, are self-bonding only to themselves, withstand 500 degree temps, and stretch 3 times their length. I'm thinking that a wrap of that tape before you put the clamp on may prevent any scratches. I've used this tape and I bet that if the clamp doen't cut through it, it'll prevent those scratches and not affect the hold of the clamp.

Ill look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Guest cleefurd

Tucker... awesome/funny, sad but true.

Highwall Shu... took the words right out of my mouth.

Some scope ring manufacturers include everything from friction paper (looks like tracing paper) to more robust fabric based tape that looks a lot like thin translucent 1st aid tape. Any barrier that won't migrate under recoil due to excessive glue to hydroplane on.

That stuff has been around for at least 40 years. We used it in the military. I have never seen it commercially available though. Where can I get some? Thanks.

That stuff has been around for at least 40 years. We used it in the military. I have never seen it commercially available though. Where can I get some? Thanks.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/gear-shops/tools-shop/tools/96825.aspx?feature=product_116

This is the only place I've seen it commercially other than a surplus store called Stroh's in Okarche, Ok. 405-263-4888. I bought several rolls that are much longer than the ones from Duluth Trading and at only .50 per roll. I'll call them tomorrow (12-26) and ask if they will ship to you folks.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/gear-shops/tools-shop/tools/96825.aspx?feature=product_116

This is the only place I've seen it commercially other than a surplus store called Stroh's in Okarche, Ok. 405-263-4888. I bought several rolls that are much longer than the ones from Duluth Trading and at only .50 per roll. I'll call them tomorrow (12-26) and ask if they will ship to you folks.

That's it, I remember it came in a can of a roll of about 25, or 50' really good stuff. Thanks.